• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Pepper Identification

Hey Guys,

I was given some peppers which I enjoyed, so I planted the seeds and they are doing very well. However, after a lot of googling i can't correctly id them. Can any of you guys help out?

Attachments

• 20210811_105458.jpg
    20210811_105458.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 170
The leaves and upright orientation of the pods make it seem like a C. annuum is the safe bet. Need better pics of the pods and flowers to make any guesses more detailed than that.
Thanks so much for your input! Ι think they could be Spanish padron peppers, what do you think? I have included pictures of pods and flowers

Attachments

• 20210817_105635.jpg
    20210817_105635.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210817_105640.jpg
    20210817_105640.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210817_115514.jpg
    20210817_115514.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 111
The golf ball looking flower buds make me more confident this is a C. annuum. I have not seen red padrons, but I have never grown padrons myself. The padrons I'm familiar with ripen to green. Of the peppers I've grown, Aleppo pods look the closest to the pods in your picture; sort of jalapeno/fresno length and shoulders, but with a much wider apex. The pod next to your fingertips is a lot shorter and fatter then a typical Aleppo, however, so I don't think my guess is accruate. How would you describe the heat/taste/fragrance?

The golf ball looking flower buds make me more confident this is a C. annuum. I have not seen red padrons, but I have never grown padrons myself. The padrons I'm familiar with ripen to green. Of the peppers I've grown, Aleppo pods look the closest to the pods in your picture; sort of jalapeno/fresno length and shoulders, but with a much wider apex. The pod next to your fingertips is a lot shorter and fatter then a typical Aleppo, however, so I don't think my guess is accruate. How would you describe the heat/taste/fragrance?
Heat, I would describe as a little lighter than a scotch bonnet but the flavor is not as sweet as a scotch bonnet. After your reply I checked out Aleppo pepper plants and I must say they looks a lot like the ones I am growing. Also the heat description of Padrons doesn't really match the actual heat of these peppers. So I am leaning toward Aleppo. The pod next to my finger-tips is shorter and fatter than the average pods I've harvested.

Heat, I would describe as a little lighter than a scotch bonnet but the flavor is not as sweet as a scotch bonnet. After your reply I checked out Aleppo pepper plants and I must say they looks a lot like the ones I am growing. Also the heat description of Padrons doesn't really match the actual heat of these peppers. So I am leaning toward Aleppo. The pod next to my finger-tips is shorter and fatter than the average pods I've harvested.
Now you describe the heat that way its not an Aleppo or a pardon,by the way padrons are picked green for flavor but mature to red if left.
As for what it is that's a tough one but scotch bonnet are many times hotter than any annum.

Last edited:
There's no shortage of peppers with that general shape. Trilop UcBuren Biber comes to mind as an example and others have already been mentioned. That said, yours are growing very upright and I don't remember that habit with any of the ones with which I'm familiar - some may throw off some pods angled upward, but they tend to droop quickly. Yours are very upright.

You mention that you were given pepper pods and grew from those seeds. It unlikely the original plants were protected against cross-pollination, so the resulting seeds and your plant could be hybridized. If one parent had the general shape (lobed end) and it crossed with another variety with larger upright growing pods, e.g., a mirasol or facing heaven, this might be the result. I've seen aleppo crosses that looked just like this, but not growing upward. Even if it isn't a mutt, it might not be possible to ID the variety without talking to the original grower as many peppers look very similar, but then they can vary significantly from baseline in appearance based on climate and growing conditions/environment.

The plant is almost certainly an annuum, but, as alluded to above, I've never seen or heard of an annuum with heat anywhere near the scotch bonnet range - excepting, of course, capsicum annuum glabriusculum, like a wild tepin.

That's about all I got. Hope it's a good pepper. I often make dried pepper flakes from certain varieties that look a lot like that.

Last edited:
Back