• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pepper infused maple syrup?!

Anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Was at an amazing restaurant the other night. All the food was insane, but one thing is sticking with me.
They had a cocktail that was rum, lime juice, and chile infused maple syrup and it was awesome!

Now, I want to make some of this spicy syrup! For cocktails, and I really want to put it on pancakes!

Any ideas for how to do this? Should I just put some peppers in syrup for a few days? weeks? or mix some powdered pepper into the syrup and call it a day?

Cut up some chilies put the maple syrup and chilies in a pot bring it to a boil let it set there for a little bit, strain out the chillies and save the syrup... Thats how I would do it anyway.. basically the same method for infusing oil...

EDIT: Depending on what chilies you use you may need to put quite a few in there... if you make it and its too spicy for you then just add more non-infused syrup

EDIT: If you do this PLEASE post pics!

Cut up some chilies put the maple syrup and chilies in a pot bring it to a boil let it set there for a little bit, strain out the chillies and save the syrup... Thats how I would do it anyway.. basically the same method for infusing oil

+1
You can use flakes also if need be.

I don't see how it would really make a difference in a drink though, you have to dissolve the syrup, and everything becomes one, so you could do it many ways.

But for breakfast, sure. Be careful with botulism, make sure to refrigerate it after. Syrup is an anaerobic environment for the peppers you use.

I make mine with dried chiles to avoid all the extra water/moisture. Just heat it up for a bit and then pour into sterilized bottles and refrigerate

I make mine with dried chiles to avoid all the extra water/moisture. Just heat it up for a bit and then pour into sterilized bottles and refrigerate
thats what is did with some RAspberry preserve and 1 douglah(lazy way to spice up jelly) so like noted above, make sure to keep in the fridge.

Enjoy and let us know hot it urns out!

Eric

I never heard of botulism, so I had to check it out. Looking at the symptoms it looks pretty serious. Most cases found in infants but defidently something I was unaware of. I posted link if anyone wanted to check it out. [post='LInky']http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001624/[/post]

Thanks for the heads up!

Most of us here are very familiar, it is something you need to be highly aware of with bottling/canning.

Any rec's on what kind of pepper would work for this?

I was thinking habanero to get the heat to medium-high and also the sweet mango flavor of the pepper would probably work with the sweet syrup.

I'd go for a smokiness, that's why it tastes good on bacon and smoked meats.

Back