• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pepper Jelly Time

So this was my first attempt at doing a jelly. So far it has been an mostly failure to say the least lol. This is now the third time trying to get it to set. Fist set was very liquidy. Second set after a reboil for 12 minutes had set to a heavy syrup viscosity. So here is the third attemp with added pectin, sugar and another reboil. But now will it set? lol

ad9f486f.jpg

The Peppers
ad231fdf.jpg

I use the liquid pectin. One box will make 12 jars. U mix it in after u left your jelly boil for however long then add and boil for a few minutes.

Also with all the reboiling its losing it awesome bright yellow color it had the first time. its now a dirty yellow almost caramel color.

Also with all the reboiling its losing it awesome bright yellow color it had the first time. its now a dirty yellow almost caramel color.
Ya, the longer you boil it the more it oxidizes, resulting in brown color. That's why some people treat with sulfides... to keep the colors bright. Also, some acidity is necessary to get the pectin to set properly. My grandmother made a lot of jellies, and she would add cut up apples... both to lower the ph and to add pectin. Apples are loaded with the stuff.

Back