• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pepper Joe's Island Hot Sauce

PEPPER JOE'S ISLAND HOT SAUCE(A 10 ON THE PEPPER JOE HEAT SCALE)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- 12 habanero peppers
- 2 carrots
- 1 lg. onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
-1/2 tbs. salt
-1/4 tbs. white pepper
- 8 tbs. white vinegar
Cut habanero peppers in half and remove seeds. Drop in boiling water for 30 seconds to blanche.(handle with care) Remove peppers and put onion, carrots and garlic cloves into boiling water and cook until tender. Squeeze juice from lime and combine all ingredients and put in blender. First chop, then blend at high speed. done!
Just put in wide-mouth jar and store in fridge. Spoon out this hot sauce as needed. Delicious on cheesesteaks, hamburgers, pizza, or added to soups, chili, tomato sauce. Also can scrub garage floors.

Almost the same as Belizean Habanero Sauce. I made some and it was outrageous. I'm also curious about the blanching. Is it to keep the habanero looking or tasting fresher? I have only blanched tomatoes to peel the skins.

Almost the same as Belizean Habanero Sauce. I made some and it was outrageous. I'm also curious about the blanching. Is it to keep the habanero looking or tasting fresher? I have only blanched tomatoes to peel the skins.

I'd say its to kill any rogue bacteria or yeasts that may be hanging out on the skin of the pepper, with the end result being better longevity.

Sounds quite tasty. I don't think this will be around long enough to worry about the pH.

You need to worry about pH when you plan on storing the product long term without refrigeration.
Exactly Patrick. The Salt and Vinegar lend some preservative effect as well.
I didn't mention it but I toss in some turmeric as an added preservative. When I make a huge batch, I'll crush 1000 mg. of Vitamin C into powder and add that as well....the Abscorbic Acid is further protection.

Back