• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Maggots

Anyone here ever experienced pepper maggots. My sister got them this year and we had to tear out all her pepper plants. Now worried about next year if any got into the ground. Is there a way to prep the soil to make sure the pupae or whatever they are called won't survive if they are there?

Josh said:
Anyone here ever experienced pepper maggots. My sister got them this year and we had to tear out all her pepper plants. Now worried about next year if any got into the ground. Is there a way to prep the soil to make sure the pupae or whatever they are called won't survive if they are there?

hi there, i am by no means an expert but i use big planters...they are great in case you have to move them around... too much rain / sun / whatever... just a little something something from a new grower...;)

I am sterilizing the soil in the microwave and pour birdsand on it to prevent nasties from creeping in. Not sure if it'll keep maggots away, but I never had any so far.

All I know about Pepper maggots to control them is to remove any infected rotting fruit straight away as it attracts more of the egg-laying flies. For the soil I'd go by what Chiliac said, microwave it, or just buy a fresh stuff and hope you'll be OK.

Chiliac said:
I am sterilizing the soil in the microwave and pour birdsand on it to prevent nasties from creeping in. Not sure if it'll keep maggots away, but I never had any so far.
I have to let my sister and her husband know thanks.

rainbowberry said:
All I know about Pepper maggots to control them is to remove any infected rotting fruit straight away as it attracts more of the egg-laying flies. For the soil I'd go by what Chiliac said, microwave it, or just buy a fresh stuff and hope you'll be OK.
Yea I removed 60+ peppers between 4 plants in one day. Then more peppers got hit so we pulled the plants out. It was frustrating seeing hard work getting thrown out.

Josh, I had the maggots last year really bad and lost thousands of pods. I actually pulled out over 20 plants which I wish I would not have. Today i found my Cherry Chocolates have been hit by the bastards but I believe it is very minimal this year I have actually only seen a couple of flies. What you need to do is completely destroy the pods that show signs of any kind of rot the maggot will live if you just throw the pod in the garbage. The damage to your plants is probably already done you just can't see all the damage yet. The flies have already layed thier eggs it is just a matter of time for the maggots to mature and rot the peppers. Soft spots on the peppers is another sign just destroy any pod that does not look right. if you wait to long the maggot will drop out and will burrow itself in the soil. If your garden is not to big I would cover the whole thing with plastic very early on next year to heat up the soil so the flies will come out of the ground early and the plastic will stop them from flying and the heat will hopefully bake them. Good Luck.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2815&q=376708&pp=12&n=1

Dale

Yes, they are a real pain in the ###. I got hit hard too last year. Less this year, but they didn't disappear. They LOVE larger C. Annuums. Super hots seem to make them cringe away...go ahead ba#######....take a bite of my Bih Jolokias you maggots. :)

As Dale said, take care of the issue ASAP or they'll take care of your garden.

Chris

Dale, you took care of the issue this year.. if they destoryed thousands. You made your garden 10x bigger so you could have 10,000s of pods! :) I am glad to hear you're having less issues. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of your jungle of plants.

Chris

Have heard of the problem even when people are using clay peoples and other materials so i think remove suspected pods..give the plant a good spray with the garden hose and keep as close an eye as possible..if in a greenhouse put plenty of fly traps up :)

Thanks thepodpiper I will have to let my sister know about the plastic idea. Her garden is only like 16' x 12' so it is do-able.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. Those things are nasty. Sure hope we got them before they reached the soil.

Woke up this morning to possible maggot problem. One of my biggest pods had a small hole bored into the side about 2/3rds down.

Cut it open to find a light green looking worm about 1/4" long inside.

Is it a maggot or something else? reason I ask is I thought that maggots grew with the plant and destroyed it from the inside out. I had that before on habs where they turned all rotten looking but the Bhut was healthly and clean until today when I saw the hole.

Any help would be appreciated

Harris, That doesn't sound like maggots. Maggots are pale white and don't bore into the fruit, they are laid in the outer skin of the fruit by fruit flies and dig inside.

I had massive problems with fruit fly last season. Had to get rid of most of my bigger chilli pods and lost most of my sweet peppers.

I found a fly trap that was cheap ($10AUD) that specifically attracts flies that laid eggs in fruit and kills them, and it is strong.

It states that it will attract them from 500 metres away, and it does. All my neighbours said that after i put in this single trap all they problems stopped as well.

All it is, is a clear plastic Chinese container with 2 holes cut in it and a chemical soaked cloth cable tied in the middle.

It claims it works for about 3 months rain, hale or shine. Mine has been in the garden for 5 months and it is still killing fruit fly.

Within a week of putting it up and destroying all my infected pods i never had another problem.

Another tip in early identification of infected pods is: In the lighter coloured pods you can see a tiny black mark on the fruit (you have to look hard sometimes). This is a sure sign of a puncture mark from a fruit fly.

Even if they get to the soil and emerge later, a good trap will stop them before they can do any real damage.

another less practical solution is to use fly netting on the larger fruited plants if you don't have that many.

The flies shouldn't lay in the smaller pods. Not saying won't, but should't. I have never seen a small pod with maggots.

But i could be wrong!!!!!

moboy...could/would you paste a link to the fly trap?...I have not had a problem yet but want to make sure I don't now since I am getting my "fall fruit set"...

AJ I have found it but it is an Australian product and i don't think they would import/export due to the chemicals (even though it is fully sealed).

But it will give you an idea of what i am talking about. It is the best thing. I have never found anything better.

Fruit Fly Trap

Cheers

Back