• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper or weed? You decide.

HELP!
This is a little embarassing since I should know the difference, but is this a pepper plant? It came up in what was supposed to be tabasco but it looks nothing like that or any of my other peppers. There's a non-trivial chance that it sprouted from a seed that was already in the dirt I used. But I can't find anything growing around here that looks like it either. I have decided to nuture it for now.

S6307355.jpg

The most notable characteristics so far are the slightly crooked red stem and the fact that it's outpacing the growth of peppers the same age.
c.

I actually had a little laugh to myself with your thread title Carol, the first time i planted chilli seeds i had the same identification problem!

To me it looks as though you are doing a fantastic job of nurturing a rather healthy looking weed, not the good type either that one can smoke!

Im only a stupid noobie though so best wait for other opinions- sure does look like a weed though!!

I don't really know but in my short and not all that great growing career, I have never seen a chilli plant with a red stem. That's not to say they're not out there....

What type of chilli plant was it meant to be?

Ya, tabasco, but I THINK both of the T seeds I put in that cell came up also. Wasn't paying that much attention at the time.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Are you more of a blue jeans and a flannel shirt type of girl?:)

Today I'm a sweatpants and long underwear shirt sort of girl. I *hate* being cold!

Might as well grow it to maturity
If youre lucky, you'll have some rare pepper
If not, you can have a really attractive ornamental weed :-)

doesn't look any tulips I have ever seen...but then again I don't look at many tulips :lol:

I will have to post a pic of something I don't know what is too...it came out of a pack of seeds from Pablo...maybe a strawberry...

It shall live another day, then.

Or maybe I've succeeded in crossing a jalapeno with poison ivy?? It burns AND itches.

Back