• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Pepper Picks For Pickling

As I continue to line up my first grow for 2012, it is important for me to have a couple good selections for pickling peppers too. Please share your suggestions as to what peppers hold up well and taste good pickled. I realize this could be kind of a subjective question, but still looking for some ideas.

Pepper parameters are:
1)Pepper has to hold up to pickling and not become mush
2)Prefer something that will have a crunch and thicker
3)Prefer types that are also prolific on the bush as well so I can pickle a heap
4)Rather not have super hots for pickling

My first pick so far is Peppadew.
I have some Peppadew seeds, and an authentic brine for them that I am looking forward to.

Also, what spices do you prefer to add to your pickle brine?

Thanks!

Almapaprika (Hungarian Apple) is well suited to pickling. You can also stuff it with cheese, cauliflower or other things.

Nothing exotic: Jalapenos, cherry bombs and sweet bananas (for wifey).

Pint jars, Morton pickling salt, and inexpensive white vinegar. Sometimes I throw in a couple garlic cloves.

Im with the Spartan above. I love the Cherry peppers for the winter. This year I marinated Bananna Peppers with: Lemon Juice, White vinegar,oregano, olive oil,chopped onions, garlic (opt) and horseradish (opt) for a hot style add 4 jalapenos, Medium 2,Mild 1 to about 3lbs of peppers. I got this from the Winsconsin Cooperative Extension.

Small "Devil Serranos"..........my answer to the "Chicago Sport Pepper"....... :cool:

Although the Greek or Italian style pepperoncini peppers are one of my favorites

Greg

So do you all put the vinegar and spices in boiling, or cold?
I have seen recipes for both ways, wondering which is better.

Chupetinho because they look so pretty and are very prolific, jalapeƱos. Garlic and pickling spices

Another question...

So with small peppers, just throw them in whole? Or cut them in half. Wondering if whole if it is safe as it is when cut in half.

Another question...

So with small peppers, just throw them in whole? Or cut them in half. Wondering if whole if it is safe as it is when cut in half.

If whole, I poke a few holes in them with a toothpick just to let the vinegar get inside. Do not know if it is essential, it's just my habit. Usually halve jalapenos so that I can get rid of most of the damn seeds.

I poke a few holes around the crown and tip with wooden kabob skewer seems to be a good size hole. Once pickled you wont see the holes and it allows your solution to get inside if you want them whole. Its up to you. To help keep them crisp you can use pickling lime or alum (pickle crisp)

Chupetinho because they look so pretty and are very prolific, jalapeƱos. Garlic and pickling spices

Really great looking Chupetinho pickled peppers there! Thanks for the photo.
What did you use to brine? Is that all from one plant?

THANKS EVERYONE for your suggestions and tips!
Keep them coming!

Yup that is the amount you would get from 1 plant it really is super prolific. The brine is vinegar salt and water with pickling spices(cardomom, mustardseeds, blackpepper,etc)

Yup that is the amount you would get from 1 plant it really is super prolific. The brine is vinegar salt and water with pickling spices(cardomom, mustardseeds, blackpepper,etc)

That is a very interesting looking pepper. Chupetinho = Chupetinha (Pimenta Bico) ? http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=chupetinha&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1
Above says they are mild, is that your experience? A cursory search turns up nothing on seed availability. I realize you are in Spain; however, do you have any information on a seed source or difficulty on locating some here in the U.S.
Nice job on the pickled peppers, they look very fresh and tasty.

Update: Tradewindsfruitstore.com has them listed but the description certainly doesn't match what I'm seeing from your posting.
Chupetinha Pepper - Capsicum chinense
"A rounded, cone shaped pepper up to 3" long. Ripens to red and has a mildly hot flavor. Little known, native to Brazil. Name translates as "small rubber nipple"."

Back