• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Pepper Picks For Pickling

Chupetinho because they look so pretty and are very prolific, jalapeños. Garlic and pickling spices

How well does the flavour hold up after pickling?

That is a very interesting looking pepper. Chupetinho = Chupetinha (Pimenta Bico) ? http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=chupetinha&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1
Above says they are mild, is that your experience? A cursory search turns up nothing on seed availability. I realize you are in Spain; however, do you have any information on a seed source or difficulty on locating some here in the U.S.
Nice job on the pickled peppers, they look very fresh and tasty.

Update: Tradewindsfruitstore.com has them listed but the description certainly doesn't match what I'm seeing from your posting.
Chupetinha Pepper - Capsicum chinense
"A rounded, cone shaped pepper up to 3" long. Ripens to red and has a mildly hot flavor. Little known, native to Brazil. Name translates as "small rubber nipple"."

I remember when I first saw Potawie's amazing mild Chupetinha plant:
If by chance you want a productive non-hot C. chinenses then chupetinha is a good choice although they are quite seedy pods and quite small.

Potawie- Chupetinha 2010
4796170385_e61fb0b88c.jpg
The mildest similar plant I managed to get seeds of is a Biquinho. Perhaps Potawie can point the way for you.

The mildest similar plant I managed to get seeds of is a Biquinho. Perhaps Potawie can point the way for you.

I am guessing that Chupetinha is one of Potawie's own crosses(they also look slightly different) because ChupetinhO is what is written on the websites that I buy seeds from. My link They are medium hot pods comparable to cayene in heat but with much better flavour. I would not call them mild but this can vary due to climate and growing conditions etc.
They remain crunchy and juicy after pickling and are good as powder too.

MYPEPPERGUY I can send you some seeds if you want pm me no problem :)

I am guessing that Chupetinha is one of Potawie's own crosses(they also look slightly different) because ChupetinhO is what is written on the websites that I buy seeds from. My link They are medium hot pods comparable to cayene in heat but with much better flavour. I would not call them mild but this can vary due to climate and growing conditions etc.

Biquinho and Chupetinho are not the same pepper, but different names?
Just trying to clarify, as I may have access to Biquinho seed but would prefer the taste profile you are describing. Thanks

Is that photo of the plant yours iin post #19, Lando? Really GREAT looking!

They do not look the same to me as mine do not have the long sting and I would definitly not give these to a child to taste as Beaglestorm suggests in his review of Biquinho(unless you don't like children :P)

Thanks :) Yeah it's my plant in the picture it is the plant visitors comment the most on because of the shape of the pods and the sheer number of them.

if interested in seeds pm me Smiter

Biquinho and Chupetinho are not the same pepper, but different names?
Just trying to clarify, as I may have access to Biquinho seed but would prefer the taste profile you are describing. Thanks

Is that photo of the plant yours iin post #19, Lando? Really GREAT looking!

Just checked on Lando's link (semillas.de) and listing for chupetinhO also called bequinho. Then there is the chupetinhA from Potawie and Chileman.org. :confused: I'm not a stickler when it comes to all this pepper nomenclature; I just thought it was a cool looking pepper, apparently prolific, and was interested in growing one next season. You know, something different.

Just checked on Lando's link (semillas.de) and listing for chupetinhO also called bequinho. Then there is the chupetinhA from Potawie and Chileman.org. :confused: I'm not a stickler when it comes to all this pepper nomenclature; I just thought it was a cool looking pepper, apparently prolific, and was interested in growing one next season. You know, something different.

Thanks.. the link did not work earlier for me, yours does.
It is cool looking indeed.

The THSC have a Pimenta de bico listed in their more chillis page as a 4/10. It resembles the one you have from semillas.de.

They do not look the same to me as mine do not have the long sting and I would definitly not give these to a child to taste as Beaglestorm suggests in his review of Biquinho(unless you don't like children :P)

Thanks :) Yeah it's my plant in the picture it is the plant visitors comment the most on because of the shape of the pods and the sheer number of them.

if interested in seeds pm me Smiter
I'm guessing Beaglestorm vs. Biquinho Iracena Pepper was the review? I had the impression that the Iracena one had long stingers in proportion to its size.

John Leone (thechilliman.biz) has a Biquinho that has a less interesting shape without the short stinger. Biquinho plus a hotter Chupentiho show up on his ebay shop when searching for either.

I used to call them chupetinho but a brazilian forum member corrected me (and thechileman.org) He says they are chupetinha which apparently means little rubber nipple. I originally got my seeds from my friend in Brazil and they were labelled Pimente de bico or Biquino.which apparently means bird's beak
They are very interesting sweet peppers. Mine have no heat but you still get a little Chinenses flavor that makes you think the heat is coming. The biggest problem with these in my opinion is that they are loaded with seeds which gives them a hard texture

Mercado Central, Belo Horizonte

Pepper Girl by Sphinkter, on Flickr

That Chupetinha is wicked cool-looking. This year I ordered seeds for Chiero Recife from Beth, which comes from Brazil and looks similar to the above photos, but I think the pods may be larger.

For my thoughts on Smiter's original post, the only pickled chiles I seem to enjoy are the en escabeche type, such as the La Costeña brand of canned Jalapeños. This year at hard freeze time I had an abundance of large green "Garden Bird Seed" type Thai Chiles that I did up that way, using a recipe I found on mexconnect.com. I'll post some pix later on...

If you like chiles en escabeche but you wish the commercial brands were a little more spicey, I highly recommend that combination. In fact, now that I mention it, I need to put the Garden Bird Seed chiles back in my grow list for this year.

That's one awesome looking pepper plant! I think that would made a super cool looking bonchi, I haven't tried to make one yet though. I too would love to get some seeds from this pepper if anyone can point me in the right direction. :pray:

Back