• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper plant problems

I've never had problems with peppers before.  Tomatoes and squash, yes.

I looked this up and to my eyes it seems to match P deficiency.  I gave them a shot of 4-18-38 about a week ago.
Issue is worse.

Attachments

• pepp prob 1.jpg
    pepp prob 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 71
  • pepp prob 2.jpg
    pepp prob 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 63
First off, I'd tell you to absolutely stop diagnosing individual deficiencies.  Especially if you haven't had soil or plant tissue tested.  Since we all know that's typically expensive - sometimes prohibitively so - let's just go on the assumption that you haven't done  that.
Secondly - have you been supplementing anything else?  Nitrogen? Calcium? Magnesium?
What is your typical feeding regimen?  What were they on, before they got to this point?  How often?  What's your soil pH?  More info, more info, more info...  If you have had this problem with other plants, as well, then you have a definite problem, and you need to get to the bottom of it. 

My soil is compost that's cut with a little sand.  We have a local vendor called Earth Farms.
pH was 6.0.

I side dressed with organic 5-5-5 when they blossomed, then "tomato fertilizer" (4-18-38) last week.
I've never used Epsom or calcium nitrate with soil-grown plants, only hydroponics.
Since I grow everything in this compost, next year after it's delivered I'll have it tested.  It's free.

Edit:  I should mention. Out of about 40 buckets, I only see this problem in 3 or 4.  Everything is in the same location with the same soil, same sun exposure, same watering schedule, same side-dress.

And the Japanese beetles were kind to me this year.

Did you notice the problem after you applied the tomato fertilizer?
Is there any particular reason that you dose such a high P and K fertilizer, with so low N?
Is your feeding regimen based on gut feelings, or is this a recommendation for the "soil" that you're using?  Has anyone ever tested it?

The problem existed, then I fertilized, and the problem is more intense.

This was based on research I did online that said blossoming/fruiting plants shouldn't get more N.
I only gave the 4-18-38 to these few problem plants based on what I thought was a deficiency.

It's more intense because that is a ridiculously stupidly out of whack fertilizer.  Like, almost more of a specialty product.  You should absolutely NEVER use a product like that without a very good reason.  Now depending on how you dosed it, it's highly possible that you locked out something.  It's really difficult to diagnose nutrient deficiencies, when shooting from the hip.  Reading stuff on the internet falls into the "shooting from the hip" category.  IF I were you...  and I were going to continue to use this compost...  I'd have it tested.  Otherwise, I'd build a proper container mix.  Because straight compost doesn't fit in that category.
You are dosing 4.5x more phosphorus than nitrogen.  NEVER.  9.5x (!!!) more Potassium than Nitrogen.  ABSOLUTELY NEVER!
I'm exhausted preaching the gospel of "you don't need to cycle nutrients in your garden".  You're going to have to flush the shit out of those containers, to save these plants.  And I really don't know what to tell you about saving them, from this point.  

I think after getting that other fertilizer out, I'd be thinking strongly about sticking with the organic.  Balanced is fine.  Grow out plants side by side with different fertilizers, before adopting a "bloom" strategy. I think you'll find that it's unnecessary...

juanitos said:
could be disease on these plants just got lucky.
It can also be what's in the compost. We know from soil building 101 that compost isn't a good container medium... But what is in the compost? Where does it come from? Is there something in it that could be contributing? (since this has been a problem on other plants - and wouldn't be in an inert media)

yeah and his lower leaves touching the soil (compost) is a great way to get soil borne diseases, op might want to trim all the lower leaves.

I'm still gonna say that you need to be careful with that fertilizer. More of something doesn't mean better. It's completely wrong to be dosing those levels without knowing what's in your root zone (they're excessive, at best, dangerous, at worst). Get the test.

Well, there's no arguing with success! 

I was asking as I was wondering if it may have been part of your issue. I was thinking media compaction with poor drainage with lack of air causing poor nutrient uptake. If you've grown with this media in the past and didn't have any issues obviously your current issue is unrelated. Over-watering/poor drainage is high on the list of reasons for leaf issues.

Back to the drawing board!

Yeah, it's really great stuff.  We even planted all our blueberries in it, just with added sulfur.
I have 4 whiskey barrels with habs, ghosts, and shishitos.  The plants are so thick and lush, and loaded with pods.
Just this compost and a tsp of organic 5-5-5 about a month ago.

I live in the land of hard red clay, so containers and raised beds are the norm.

Back