• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pepper powder question

Hello,

I plan to smoke and then dehydrate some cayennes over the Christmas holidays. Just so that I'm prepared, how many average sized cayennes does it take to make an ounce of powder?

I'm getting ready to be disappointed that what I have isn't going to make much.

Thanks all.

,you will need about 10oz for 1 ounce. i know thats not the answer to the #question. but you should be able to weight out in your hands?

Smoking will add a small amount of weight but not a noticeable amount. Removing seed like some do of course lowers weight.

I would not worry about ounces. Just throw em in the smoker and make sure you have enough room to fit in the hydrator . Then enjoy.

I'm tryin to get to that.
+1 to that brother!

190732815-leary_prays.jpg

Seriously. get one of these. OXO kitchen scale. $50.

It really helps with knowing what youre doing. especially batches of stuff, or blending stuff.

and making burgers the same size too.

oh yeah, and check them beers, make sure you're getting 12oz. weight vs. volume $ worth LOL

View attachment 3018

Good call on the dehydrator. Cause I NEVER go overboard.

Does anyone add anything to their pepper power or just leave it strictly peppers? I've got the peps in the smoker now steaming over applewood.

I do not add anything. But some do and it can be tasty. I prefer to add fresh garlic and herbs to my meals and finish off with scraight powder :drunk:

I recently started doing powders, generally I am with romy. I don't tend to add any extras to my poders except the ones I smoke, but just a little bit.

Grinded them down tonight. Very interesting for sure. They made about two ounces and I'm very happy with that. The smoke smell is almost overpowering, but it's not in the taste as much as the smell. I couldn't believe how hot it was. Since it is the first one I've ever made I'll probably give most of it away. It definitely lit my lips on fire.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cayennes tend to be front of the mouth/tip of the tongue burn and have their yummy uses. Congrats on your first successful powder job. :lol:

Seriously. get one of these. OXO kitchen scale. $50.

It really helps with knowing what youre doing. especially batches of stuff, or blending stuff.

and making burgers the same size too.

oh yeah, and check them beers, make sure you're getting 12oz. weight vs. volume $ worth LOL

View attachment 3018
Nothing like weighing some Berry on the scale....that weeds out being too high,...or low...

Back