• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Pr0n

i haven't had any other problems with the plant...

As you can see it looks pretty healthy minus the whole flower dropping thing.

I was thinking that the fence behind it could be radiating heat, thus making it too hot?

You know, this summer we had several weeks where the temps got to or above 100F(38C) almost everyday. We even had a few 107F(41-42C) in row. I didn't see much of a drop in production, though. I suspect the heavy layer of mulch I put down, and the general weediness of the garden at that time kept the soil temperatures from getting excessive.

So, this would be my long-winded way of saying that bent is probably correct when he says the temperature of the roots may be the issue. Consider wrapping the pot in foil to reflect some of the heat away since it looks like you have it mulched pretty well on top.

It is a healthy, stocky looking plant. It may also just need a little time for the excess nitrogen to be flushed out of the soil. I like to tell people that patience may be a virtue, but it's not one of mine; however, sometimes in gardening, it's the best cure.

now that i think about it, the pot does get pretty warm during the day...
I'll move it to another location where it gets less direct sunlight, and see how it goes

Like Pam, we had several days in excess of 100 degrees - a record number. But the peppers kept producing fruit, although the tomatoes didn't fare quite as well. I would go with the roots getting too hot theory. Which gives me something to think about, as I plan on doing all by peppers in containers.

The biggest plant I have is a Siam thats never had direct sunlight. Its in the ground & shaded by a few large trees - never fertilized. Its just hit 80 cm (2'8") & doesn't look like slowing down yet.

siam_80cm_SML.jpg

Right,

So i'll keep it in its ceramic pot, but move it so it dosent get as much direct sunlight, and therefore the pot dosent heat up as much...

I'll post up the results (if any!)

fisting_mayfield said:
would changing it from a ceramic pot to a plastic one help?

The ceramic one gets hot, then stays hot forever!

Even in the hottest of summers, I doubt the soil temps, at the level the roots inhibit, is much above 75 degrees. Not to mention, the ground usually has a decent amount of moisture unless you are in a drought condition and have not watered the soil for several days.

But in a pot, the soil could easily warm to 85 degrees or higher. Not to mention, dry the dirt out in a hurry.

Damn you for having ripe pods :P I have a heap of green ones, but nothing ripe yet - wait, I lie, I did have a ripe hungarian wax a few weeks ago, but it didn't last long enough for a picture. Besides, it's the 30+ green nagas I'm really sweating on :hell:

Oh, and while I'm posting, I also spotted my first scorpion bud starting to develop this morning :D

Them's some purdy peppers!

Is the long, skinny one on the bottom right a Siam? It looks like my Criolla Sella peppers, but you discounted them as "unworthy". They're baccatuums.

Pam said:
Them's some purdy peppers!

Is the long, skinny one on the bottom right a Siam? It looks like my Criolla Sella peppers, but you discounted them as "unworthy". They're baccatuums.

Yes thats a Siam. I have a mountain of them coming.

Hey fisting - did you watch Gardening Australia tonight?

One guy actually planted his pots directly into the ground so he could dig them out again in winter & move them to the greenhouse.

Another segment had someone putting their pot inside a larger pot and stuffing the space between them with mulch to keep down the heat.

Bent Those are nice habs mate they may even be bigger than mine. (I secretly hate you now.)lol
All I'mm saying is wait until the fatalii's
mooohahahahahaahah
Mick

Back