• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Recommendations

I have been asked to grow peppers for a couple of restaurants next year an need a few recommendations as to what to grow. With over 130 varieties of hot and super hot peppers I think I am probably set there. But my question is to regards to sweet peppers. I need a good non hybrid red bell and yellow bell. I know most people don't grow bells but I though I would get everyones opinion as to what would be best as I think most bells taste just like the dirt their grown in. I also need opinions on a good stuffing pepper with little to no heat that is not a bell. And finally a good italian pepper with no heat and one with some heat.

Thanks

Macmanmatty

For mild stuffing peppers, you might want to consider bishop's crown
For sweet Italians try ram's horn(CORNO DI TORO ) or super shepherd, or maybe mild Italian pepperoncinis

POTAWIE said:
For sweet Italians try ram's horn(CORNO DI TORO ) or super shepherd, or maybe mild Italian pepperoncinis

agree

POTAWIE said:

I have plenty of those along with its many cousins aji flor ,pimenta cambuci , champion ect. They are one of the best peppers I grow, but I was looking for a larger stuffing pepper.

Have you thought about some of the Paprika peppers? I thought that ALMA PAPRIKA and FEHER AZON would be nice stuffers. And they are both sweet. I have plenty of seeds of both if you need some.(open pollinated)

For a HOT stuffing pepper, I would recommend a large RED ROCOTO. As big as an apple, they are absolutely wonderful!. Stuffed with meat, rice and cheese....oh man oh man.

macmanmatty said:
I have plenty of those along with its many cousins aji flor ,pimenta cambuci , champion ect. They are one of the best peppers I grow, but I was looking for a larger stuffing pepper.

I like Anaheim types for roasting and/or stuffing as well as crimson hot(not very hot) and giant aconcaguas
I don't usually grow regular bells but Red Lamuyos are quite close and they grow well for me.

The feher ozone is great .grew them this yr and they work great fresh and as a fresh powder.They just took a lil long for my short season here in Va.I`ve 3 types of paprika for next yr now.

macmanmatty said:
I have been asked to grow peppers for a couple of restaurants next year an need a few recommendations as to what to grow. ...

... I need a good non hybrid ...

Why a non-hybrid if they're being grown for restaurants?:confused:

I don't grow hybrids as a rule either, but there are a few good ones out there, especially in the "sweet" types.

Just curious as to your reasoning is all.

DownRiver said:
Why a non-hybrid if they're being grown for restaurants?:confused:

I don't grow hybrids as a rule either, but there are a few good ones out there, especially in the "sweet" types.

Just curious as to your reasoning is all.

I will not support the production of hybrid seeds

Back