• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

condiments Pepper relish

Every work day for breakfast I eat an everything bagel with cream cheese and pepper relish. I've had this routine for at least 7 years now. I eat so much I feel I should share this super simple recipe. This stuff is great on Hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches, or mixing into aioli or mustard for a spicy kick. Best part is you can use any pepper you want from sweet to reapers. Although in my experience I find that thicker walled peppers as a base for the relish gives it a really nice texture. It's also a good recipe for that final harvest when you strip all those green peppers off the plant before a freeze.
The recipe is as follows:

Once stems have been removed and peppers washed run them through a food processor until you get the consistency you want.
For every pound of peppers I add a half a cup of vinegar and a half a cup of sugar into a stock pot on medium heat till most the liquid is gone. At this point I can in mason jars and water bath 10 mins. There's always a little bit that doesn't fit in the last jar. This goes directly in the refrigerator for immediate consumption.

IMG_20220102_122027041.jpg
IMG_20220102_130026364.jpg
IMG_20220102_141652456.jpg
IMG_20220102_141810216.jpg

Last edited:
Do a version with sugar, and you have cowboy candy relish.

I've actually had cowboy candy on a bagel w/cream cheese and it's amazing.

Good lookin relish @peppersproutfarm, and a great looking pot with the volume scale on the inside! Easy to see you whipped up about a 1/2 gallon of goodness there.

Try a batch with some Garlic and Mustard Seed. I've had really good batches come out. I generally don't make too much at a time though. Mine is 3 cups Peppers, 1/2 cup sugar, 2-3 large tbs garlic, and 1/2 - 1 onion with some vinegar. I like doing Brazillian Starfish red, orange, and Aji Lemon Drops.

Try a batch with some Garlic and Mustard Seed. I've had really good batches come out. I generally don't make too much at a time though. Mine is 3 cups Peppers, 1/2 cup sugar, 2-3 large tbs garlic, and 1/2 - 1 onion with some vinegar. I like doing Brazillian Starfish red, orange, and Aji Lemon Drops.
Starfish peppers are my favorite for relish. Nice thick flesh. A third of this batch was red and yellow starfish peppers.

Back