• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Show: The Wannabe Orange Habanero

Hey my orange habs I have been growing finally got pods and producing extremely well. The pod density per plant is extremely high. Although I expected the pods to be an orange fruity color, the plants have habaneros that are deathly red and some orange ones. I am wondering if the 95 F florida weather might turn them red instead of orange. I ate one and it was HOT. I saved the seeds off a really red one and ate the rest. This was my first time eating a fresh grown hab and it had quite a unique flavor that I cant really relate it too. These plants are about a foot and a half tall and DAMN soo many pods. I think I have about 50 pods on each plant? Is that low or high for a smaller size plant?

Anyway lets have a look... Picture time!
0619011916b.jpg

0619011916a.jpg

0619011916.jpg

0619011915c.jpg

0619011915b.jpg

0619011915a.jpg

0619011915.jpg

I ate this one ^^ yum ehehe!

That is a goodly amount of pods for such a compact growing plant!

Nice growing there... and that's a fine looking red habanero! :dance: :cool:

dvg

those are better than orange habs! there's a million hab strains that go through this color phaze but they are better than orange habs! enjoy them!

I bought them as orange Habanero seeds from Burpee.
I grew their Orange Habs once, and the peppers didn't look anything like that! They weren't as ribbed as yours, and not that yellow-green color either! (They also all ripened to ORANGE! ;) )

Strange, usually not like them to screw-up like that.:rolleyes: I'd send them an E-MAIL with the Lot # on the seed packet & those pics - the least they can do is send you some REAL Orange Hab seeds! :D

In the mean time, enjoy whatever it is you've got growing there - at least it is productive! :cool:

Great Pic!!

My orange/red habs looked just like your last season, tremendous producers all season long. I had a terrible time keeping the pods off the ground. Enjoy the ride…you’ll surely build up your inventory in no time!!

That is a very productive plant you got there.

They may not be Orange Habs like you expected but if they taste good then thats all it matters. :)

Bleash

Nice plants/pods. Not sure if its actually an orange hab plant why they would be turning red. I have been growing orange from my own seed for about 4 years here in Ohio. Our summers are usually VERY hot averaging probably low to mid 90's with very little rain. I have even let them stay on a bit long sometimes and once they were orange, they stayed orange.

Either way, you still have super nice plants and pods so enjoy! :)

I have some Thai Chili's a got from a friend adjacent to the plants. They are producing just as well. Could the cross-pollination between the two plants cause the fruit to change color?

Could the cross-pollination between the two plants cause the fruit to change color?
yes, but it is unlikely

we could have flying monkeys invade from the fourth dimension also :dance:
yes, but it is unlikely

the habs look really delicious
fantastic growing you have there
those pictured look like some outdoor sun grown type

maybe the red wavelength radiation influence from the red mulch there?
thought the tomato people had tried that color or used it on purpose :crazy:

do you have any others from that batch of seeds under different grow habitat making oranges?

edited for more questions
(it may be the orange one pictured is a caribbean red?)

do you have any others from that batch of seeds under different grow habitat making oranges?

edited for more questions
(it may be the orange one pictured is a caribbean red?)

The fruits are red or orange... as in the orange ones you see now have been orange for some time. The color sequence goes from yellow/green to red or to orange on the SAME plant! Hehe sorry it I didnt make that clear. So yes I am getting orange habs on these plants but some turn red instead.

Many years ago, when I first tried growing some no-name red habs I got in trade, I was rather perplexed when my so-called RED habs seemed to ripen to an Orange color! :eh:

And stayed that color for a VERY long time - so long, that I started to think they'd sent me the wrong seeds! :banghead:

And then they FINALLY fully ripened...to RED! :cool:

I can see from your photos that your habs are just starting to ripen - nearly all of those pods are still light green. I think that if you wait long enough, you will find those orange ones will eventually turn to that same red color as the others! ;)

Back