• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper substation?

I'm making a habanero salsa and the recipe calls for Amarillo peppers but I can't find them here in Michigan, What other peppers can be substituted for Amarillo peppers?

I hope I got the right name of pepper here.

PhatManDerek said:
I'm making a habanero salsa and the recipe calls for Amarillo peppers but I can't find them here in Michigan, What other peppers can be substituted for Amarillo peppers?

I hope I got the right name of pepper here.

You gotta be careful with substitutions, something may catch fire if you choose a replacement with a lower IFOS rating.

Txclosetgrower said:
Amarillo peppers. Only way to be sure.
well that's a bust then, I really want to make this salsa but if I can't substitute chillie peppers I just spent $20 on all the ingredients for the salsa though!

Hey man I'm just yanking your chain lol. You could substitute anything you feel like, just go with what you think tastes good. I never look at recipes as an absolute, more of as a starting place.

Except for baking. Baking is more like chemistry where things need to be in right proportion.

Txclosetgrower said:
Hey man I'm just yanking your chain lol. You could substitute anything you feel like, just go with what you think tastes good. I never look at recipes as an absolute, more of as a starting place.

Except for baking. Baking is more like chemistry where things need to be in right proportion.

And you need an oven...

Txclosetgrower said:

It's cool man, I can take a good joke!

millworkman said:
And you need an oven...
Got one of those, and I've been using it for 3 months now, Speaking of uising it I have some Stouffers enchilada's

PhatManDerek said:
It's cool man, I can take a good joke!

Got one of those, and I've been using it for 3 months now, Speaking of uising it I have some Stouffers enchilada's

buy a cook book, you wont ever have to eat stouffers again! Oh and don't you tell me you like them! they suck compared to making your own! I think some habs would be a great sub for a amarillo pepper!

joeknowsjolokia said:
buy a cook book, you wont ever have to eat stouffers again! Oh and don't you tell me you like them! they suck compared to making your own! I think some habs would be a great sub for a amarillo pepper!
Actually it calls for 4 armerellos and 5 habs.

Derek...it will come with time but you will learn what peppers go well with others and which ones are hotter...just takes time...absolute best way to learn is to just use different combinations...

Txclosetgrower said:
You gotta be careful with substitutions, something may catch fire if you choose a replacement with a lower IFOS rating.
Bwahahaha.

I though you said it was a habanero salsa, PMD? Are the other peppers additional? Just go with what you like.

thehotpepper.com said:
Bwahahaha.

I though you said it was a habanero salsa, PMD? Are the other peppers additional? Just go with what you like.
You are correct Sir, I want to use 4 serrento's since the armerillos are about the same size and the same heat!

Serrento? Sounds like cheese.

thehotpepper.com said:
Bwahahaha.

I did say that and yes they are pretty much add bonus,

Let me fetch the recipe for you guys!

Habanero Salsa

Recipe courtesy Peter Mantel, Loews Miami Beach Hotel, Florida

Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
10 min
Cook Time:
0 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

* 5 habanero chiles, roasted
* 4 amarillo chiles
* 3 scallions, finely chopped
* 1 grapefruit, juiced
* 1 lime, zested and juiced
* 1 bunch cilantro, leaves picked and chopped
* Salt and pepper

Directions

Soak the habanero and amarillo chiles in hot water for approximately 10 minutes. Remove the chiles from the water and scrape and deseed them. Place the chiles into a food processor and add enough of the soaking liquid to cover a quarter of the way. Puree into a fine paste. Place the puree into a bowl and add in the chopped scallions, fruit juices, lime zest, and chopped cilantro. Mix well, season with salt and pepper, and serve warm.

PhatManDerek said:
LOL, you know I can't spell LOL.

Ut-oh....Iggy...you got competition... ;)

I think you're better coming up with your own recipe, that sounds sour! I never use recipes.

Back