• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation pepper vinegar

Anybody ever made pepper vinegar before?

They have it(or used to anyway) at a restaurant called Steak and Shake and a few others(maybe Whataburger).  Its basically peppers in white vinegar.  Dont think its anything to hot usually(maybe jap's, maybe).

Anyway, they supposedly discontinued it and my buddy is heart broken.  I told him I would make some in a few months with some super hots.  He says he can no longer eat chili at Steak and Shake without the pepper vinegar.

Seems the recipe is just fill jar with peppers, boil 50/50 white and apple cider vinegar, fill jar, put lid on.  Not sure I will fill the jar with super hots, but ill get quite a few in there and light his face up.

Is it as simple as the online recipe's are making it out to be?

So I distributed 10 of the 12 bottles I made March to rave reviews.  I have another crop of reapers(small immature, but still hot as blazes) so I am making another batch.  24 bottles this time.  Same recipe, but I am using 2 reapers for this batch as most guys said they wanted it hotter.

After portioning out the reapers for the main batch I had a bunch of really small runty ones left.  So this happened...  Guess im down to 23 bottles!!!

My personal favourite chilli vinegar is ever so simple. Just pop a few Fatalii placentas into a glass, top up with cider vinegar, cover with clingfilm (seran wrap for you americans) and leave for a few weeks.

The Fatalii gives a nice little mouth tingle with a little burst of heat upon swallowing, meaning you get a decent kick without ever overpowering any flavour. The cider vinegar provides a unique sort of fruitiness that makes white vinegar seem bland IMO.
I'd use whole chillies but the Fataliis I had last year were all white ones from a local vendor and had an almost clotted cream taste I wasn't expecting. Had they more of the citrus flavour the vendor (and basically everyone else since) described Fataliis as having, they would have gone wonderfully with the vinegar flavour.

And I don't know what you're doing with it but chilli vinegar, olive oil, salt and black pepper makes a tremendous salad dressing.

SmokenFire said:

Yes I make it all the time and yes it's as simple as they make it out to be.  Find your bottle.  Fill it with peppers of your choice (I add some garlic and sometimes a little onion).  Heat the vinegar, pour it carefully into the bottle (use a funnel) and then let it age for a couple weeks.  I will normally use 20-30 smaller cayenne and/or thai type peppers and then add a super or two to bump heat in the 18 ounce bottles i use for the purpose.  

Here's a pic of a batch done several months ago.  

5n0idt.jpg

This. ☝︎☝︎☝︎

Ive achieved blue garlic!!!

I thought at first "holy shit I have WASTED all of this stuff" and then went searching and garlic cloves turning blue is just a reaction to certain chemical compounds and not bad at all.  Im thinking the ACV I used this time(50/50 ACV and white vinegar) because none of the garlic turned blue last time in straight white vinegar.  Supposedly there is a certain type of garlic that is a delicacy, but only when it turns blue.

Would frozen peppers work for this? I really need to make some room in my freezer! Other than the texture of the peppers I would imagine it to be no different than using fresh. I have more pepper powder/flakes than I need until this years' fresh peppers come in and am looking for some alternatives. I really like the idea of using the vinegar in homemade BBQ sauce and for a spicy salad dressing. 

Finally had some time to do this... Reaper, mixed superhots, and Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion vinegars. I'm actually sitting here watching the peppers in the big jar slowly start sinking one by one... A Lava Lamp for chileheads perhaps?? :high:

The bottom photo was a mix of various roasted red supers with just a splash of vinegar and a pinch of sea salt in the puree. That stuff smelled ridiculously good when I opened the blender!

Attachments

• IMG_2071.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2071.JPG.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 74
kris79usa said:
Finally had some time to do this... Reaper, mixed superhots, and Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion vinegars. I'm actually sitting here watching the peppers in the big jar slowly start sinking one by one... A Lava Lamp for chileheads perhaps?? :high:

The bottom photo was a mix of various roasted red supers with just a splash of vinegar and a pinch of sea salt in the puree. That stuff smelled ridiculously good when I opened the blender!

Let it sit 30 days.  14 days was what was recommended to me, but after 30 days is REALLY when things started to get good.  It was noticeable.

I generally keep a jar of vinegar in the fridge. This is where all the runt/odd ball peppers go throughout the summer. For me, it is a good way to preserve them without having to process just 2-3 peppers. 

Interesting that most people here are heating the vinegar first. What is the benefit there?

TW

pa1966stang said:
I generally keep a jar of vinegar in the fridge. This is where all the runt/odd ball peppers go throughout the summer. For me, it is a good way to preserve them without having to process just 2-3 peppers. 

Interesting that most people here are heating the vinegar first. What is the benefit there?

TW

I think the heat helps break down the peppers cellulose fiber and infuse the vinegar with flavor. 

Ive got a seasoned vinegar going too. I used double strength Korean apple cider vinegar (10% acidity) with mostly green super chiles, some serranos and 2 green habaneros. Its a tad sweet for my tastes so i will probably ad some brown rice vinegar or cheap white vinegar. If you really like the flavor of apple vinegar i highly recommend the brands made in Korea. It makes an outstanding cucumber and onion salad too.

I have one that is over 7 years old i made with Heinz cider vinegar and some red peppers i cant remember. Its not hot but the flavor is great.

Back