Peppers from Brazil ?

Hello Everyone ,

I have a friend who's in Brazil. Does anyone know anything about peppers from there ? Do
they have Chinense species of their own. My friend isn't a pepper head so names would be a
great help.

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Thanks Scorpion !!!

That was a great link. I can send her photos because what they call them may not be the same. That
should help greatly.

Peace and have a super day ,
P. Dreadie

Capsicum chacoënse
Capsicum baccatum var. baccatum
Capsicum baccatum var. umbilicatum
Capsicum baccatum var. praetermissum
Capsicum flexuosum
Capsicum parvifolium
Capsicum buforum
Capsicum campylopodium
Capsicum cornutum
Capsicum dusenii
Capsicum friburgense
Capsicum hunzikerianum
Capsicum mirabile
Capsicum pereirae
Capsicum recurvatum
Capsicum schottianum
Capsicum villosum

Of course any new species is welcome. :)

Although it's not a chinense but a frutescens, Brazil is well known for its "Malagueta". I believe it's the same pepper as the Piri Piri in Portugal.

I'm growing Piri Piri for the first time this year and intend to make some hot sauce when they come in.

Tigahb8 said:
How about the Cumari, or the Cumari Ou Passarino , or any of the
Pimenta De Cherios (sp).

ButchT

I am in search of all of the above! These Brazilian peppers look and sound super tasty, especially the tiny bite-sized ones! Nothing like a kick in the teeth while working in the garden, I say.

definitely get cumari. Not easy finding good seed. All the "rare" superhots are easier to get than the cumari these days.

Bob_B said:
Although it's not a chinense but a frutescens, Brazil is well known for its "Malagueta". I believe it's the same pepper as the Piri Piri in Portugal.

I'm growing Piri Piri for the first time this year and intend to make some hot sauce when they come in.

No it is not the same as "Malagueta" and make sure your growing real Piri Piri,there is also many variants of both variety's :)

talas said:
No it is not the same as "Malagueta" and make sure your growing real Piri Piri,there is also many variants of both variety's :)

Thanks for the correction - now I know.

The Piri Piri seeds were obtained through a trade with someone in Portugal. We shall see in a couple of months what the pods look like. I'm pretty excited about making some Piri Piri chicken!

Bob_B said:
Thanks for the correction - now I know.

The Piri Piri seeds were obtained through a trade with someone in Portugal. We shall see in a couple of months what the pods look like. I'm pretty excited about making some Piri Piri chicken!

It is very confusing with Piri Piri or Malagueta as i said there are many variants from Portugal,Brazil and some African country's,one think i no is there is nothing better than homemade piri piri chicken..im sure you will love it :)

Back