• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Peppers from local farmers market

Ran across a vendor at our local farmers market that had a bin of random fun looking peppers.  I asked her what kinds they were and all she said "Very scary peppers...too hot".  So I dug through the bin and pulled out the ones that looked the most ripe.  Here is a picture of the bunch.  I tried to group them by their visual characteristics.  Any ideas what I've got?  I'm really excited about the find.  Usually at the farmers market all I ever find are jalapenos, serrano, cayenne, and the standard orange habanero.

P9090073.jpg

Group 1: I'm thinking devils tongue?  They are 3" to 4" long, 1.5" to 2" inches wide
P9090075.jpg

Group 2: I have no idea.  They are all bumpy textured, 4" to 5" long but only about 1" wide
P9090077.jpg

Group 3:  Some kind of habanero?  About 2" to 3" long, 1.5" to 2" wide
P9090079.jpg

Group 4:  The two left are peach colored, and the one on the right is a chocolate something
P9090080.jpg

Thoughts?

Group 1 could be either devils tongue, fatalii or yellow bhuts. I see characteristics of each in there.
Group 2 looks like red bhuts.
Group 3-either bhuts or nagas, at least to me.
Group 4-chocolate bhut? and no idea.

MeatHead1313 said:
Group 1 could be either devils tongue, fatalii or yellow bhuts. I see characteristics of each in there.
Group 2 looks like red bhuts.
Group 3-either bhuts or nagas, at least to me.
Group 4-chocolate bhut? and no idea.

I agree with MH, except group 3 looks more like a Bhut cross to me. Dunno.

vendor probably used open pollinated bhut seeds or a bhut seed mix
like dash said, cut em open do they all smell roughly the same?

group 2 is surely bhut or naga

The obvious answer is to cut them open and taste them all, but from the looks of it, group 2 is the only one that commands respect. Definitely a bhut or naga of some sort and probably twice as hot as the other peppers.

Thanks for all the help.  I've never had a bhut before, only habs and fatalii, but at least I know what they smell like so I can rule them bhuts probably through elimination.  I'll open them up tonight and give them a whiff, and maybe a sample :D  I didn't really have a plan on what to do with them when I got them.  I was just excited to see something different at the market I grabbed a bunch.  And I only payed $2 for them.

I think I'll kick off a ferment with them tonight...we'll see

turbo said:
Thanks for all the help.  I've never had a bhut before, only habs and fatalii, but at least I know what they smell like so I can rule them bhuts probably through elimination.  I'll open them up tonight and give them a whiff, and maybe a sample :D  I didn't really have a plan on what to do with them when I got them.  I was just excited to see something different at the market I grabbed a bunch.  And I only payed $2 for them.

I think I'll kick off a ferment with them tonight...we'll see
you stole them at that price, great find !

Just went through tasting (most of) them.

Group 1)   Definitely not a fatalii by flavor.  It smells a bit like a hab, but not very pungent.  The taste was pretty nice, kind'a sweet.  It was hotter than a hab but not as hot as I always imagined a bhut would be.  The nice thing was it warms your tummy like a big shot of whiskey :)

Group 2)  Doesn't smell too pungent.  Really, just smells like a bell pepper.  Tasted it...um...ouch.  Hottest of the group.  yea...this hurts

Group 3)  Wow, really sweet!!  Love this guy.  A bit hotter than group 1

Group 4 Peach)  Kind'a fruity, nice flavor.  Did not taste like a hab.   Not quite as hot as group 1

Group 4 Chocolate)  This guy smells sooo pungent.  It smells like pain.  Didn't even try it

turbo said:
Just went through tasting (most of) them.

Group 4 Chocolate)  This guy smells sooo pungent.  It smells like pain.  Didn't even try it

CHICKEN!!!!

just kidding~~~......(to a bit....)

Sorry I can't help with the identifications.  Maybe you can make it back to the market and grill the sellers for information.  I am happy to hear you found HOTS at your local market.  That does say something for the chile community and awareness that someone brings superhots to a market.

:CHEERS: 

salsalady said:
CHICKEN!!!!

just kidding~~~......(to a bit....)

Sorry I can't help with the identifications.  Maybe you can make it back to the market and grill the sellers for information.  I am happy to hear you found HOTS at your local market.  That does say something for the chile community and awareness that someone brings superhots to a market.

Chicken?  Yes, absolutely, and I'm ok with that :D

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get more from the vendor.  She was Hispanic and her English wasn't very good.  It took her about 5 seconds to come up with the "Very scary peppers...too hot" quote.  Though now that I think if it she might have been trying to think of how to say "ghost" in English, and instead settled on "very scary".  Who knows.  I'm definitely going back next week to see what they have.

Back