Peppers I won't grow again

Here's some peppers I won't grow again. Might do good in the south but not up in Canada.

Ornamentals- did good and looked cool but for the taste, 1 year's enough
Tepins- They just won't ripen up here
Pequins- ditto/plus they're mushy
Tabasco- produce tons but won't ripen up here
Bishops crown- looks cool and tastes okay but didn't get many and only half ripened

Here's a similar thread
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=5578
Last year I gave up on growing all ornamentals and all small podded varieties but many people wanted to buy ornamentals from me, and I missed having one huge pequin plant.
As for peppers I won't grow again:
Naga Jolokia PC-1- Very productive but disappointing flavor
Chimayo- Strange compact sprawling growth, even with 3 seed sources
Numex pinata- May try it again but three poor years in a row and 2 sources
Cili Goronong- Very cool looking but not so tastey
Cascabel- I think I have a poor variety, very unproductive
Heatless C. chinenses- All except Murupi Doce which is one of my new favorite sweet peppers
Cayennes- Productive but not a flavor I really like or use a lot anymore
Regular type orange hab- Totally bored of these, likely because I've been growing them for probably 20 years
Peter Pepper- Not a great taste and they hardly ever look like a unit

Don't give up!

For a nice pequin type try the dwarf variety "Pequin de Ischia" and a nice ornamental with great flavor - try Aji Omnicolor.:idea:

chillilover said:
Here's some peppers I won't grow again. Might do good in the south but not up in Canada.

Ornamentals- did good and looked cool but for the taste, 1 year's enough
Tepins- They just won't ripen up here
Pequins- ditto/plus they're mushy
Tabasco- produce tons but won't ripen up here
Bishops crown- looks cool and tastes okay but didn't get many and only half ripened

Bulgarian Carrot, small unproductive plants and thick skinned chiles with lots of seeds. I didn't care for the flavor.

Aurora, small plants, flavorless chiles.

Turkish Cayenne, lacks heat.

Trinidad Scorpion, doesn't like my climate. Although super hot the flavor just isn't there for me.

Every frutescens I have ever tried lacked any flavor that would catch my attention. I don't bother with them anymore. :(

I refuse to grow any ornimentals any more as they suck ass!!!!

Also I won't grow orange habs anymore either as I have grown bored of them same as Potawie......

Aji Rojo, purple cayenne, Thai Bangkok upright and PC-1 are also chillis I won't grow again!!!

Well, let's see....

no ornamentals for me...they were cool looking but the pods tasted like crap...or dirt...actually more like shit...(did I say that?)

no other Jalapenos than Billy Bikers...Jalapeno Heaven, Jalapeno Grande, and Jalapeno M sucked in comparison with the Bikers...

Cayennes...there are several varieties I like, but the goldens were more of an odditiy so I won't grow them again...the Ristra Cayennes were awesome...and don't forget the Super Cayenne II hybrids...a must if you like cayennes...

Serranos...probably won't grow any next year...I had 6 plants this year that produced tons but I have little use for them...

Scotch Bonnets from Tomato Growers and Omish Heirlooms...both resemble a caribbean red that mass produce but not what I was looking for...I will stick with the Foodarama and Jamaican Scotch Bonnets...true bonnet shape and color with wonderful flavor...

Superhots...I grew the Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Naga Morich, and Dorset Naga this year...will grow more Bhuts next year (from NMSU stock) and if the others overwinter well, so be it...

Fatalii....no more Red Fatalii or Chocolate Fatalii as they turned out to be unstable hybrids while the chocolates were cool looking, they had absolutely no heat at all....will continue to grow my homegrown Fatalii seeds from two years ago as they are mawss producers of large great looking pods...

Hungarian Wax/Banana Peppers...The only ones I will grow next year will be the Inferno Hot Banana Peppers...huge pods that produce in quantity...pods are 7" long and about 1.5" in diameter at the heat...and really hot...on the order of cayenne heat but definitely more delicious...

don't have much more to say...

I won't grow again the PC-1 (boring taste), rats turd (only a bit of heat, no flavor, not ripening before November) and orange thai (boring). Those unidentified pumpkin shaped hungarian peppers are off my list. I will reduce the various habs and habaneroid chinenses to about two or three varieties. The others didn't produce too much and were poor in taste.

for me i'm taking a different stance on what I grow from now on, if I can buy them in dried pod/powder form I'm not waisting my time growing them, unless I really really want fresh pods.

ornamentals - grown some of them, cool looking but taste horrible!
heatless chinense - I'm sorry but I dont taste the flavor that heated versions have. I'd prefer the better tasting sweet bell types (nothing green though)

as for what I'll grow is which ones I like & what grows good for me/location.

Ones I like from the past
aji lemon
trinadad scorpion
fatali
Naga morich
carribean red hab
thai
yellow 7 pod
piri piri (african birdseye)
paper lantren
white peruvian hab
orange hab

We've got similar tastes. I still need to try a few from that list, but the others are all my favorites. My list would also include the Orange Manzano, Santa Fe Grande and maybe the Labuyo. I'm hoping to discover a few more in 2010.

The ones I've dropped are the sweets and ornamentals, white bullet hab, Guam Boonie, pequin and I probably wouldn't grow too many others that are readily available at the market.

chillilover said:
Ones I like from the past
aji lemon
trinadad scorpion
fatali
Naga morich
carribean red hab
thai
yellow 7 pod
piri piri (african birdseye)
paper lantren
white peruvian hab
orange hab

Hmmmmm...

Yellow Scotch Bonnet - Seedrack
CGN 22798

Most sweet peppers are a complete waste for me as the pepper maggota get them first. I could go on with others, but I do like a lot of varieties.

I won't grow:

Anaheim or Pablano anymore. I don't really want anymore cayennes, but that is all the heat my family can handle, so if I want some heat in what I cook, I have to grow some...

This last/current year was the first year I've grown peppers or, for that matter decided to start a garden at all, after being inspired by Neil's video reviews on YouTube. I've watched pretty much all of his Chilli Tests, and quite a few of the Chilli Sauce Tests. After trying a small piece of what I would later find out to be one of the world's hottest peppers--a habanero--I was hooked. Even with the major ass-kicking and intense pain that it provided (that was unlike anything I've ever felt before), and the fact that I needed something (milk) for the first time ever to extinguish the heat... which even milk barely was able to do.

Even though it was so intense I finally found that there was heat out there that I never experienced before, let alone could handle. It put Taco Bell's Hot and Fire sauce to shame (though admittedly I do like the taste of the sauce you can find in their restaurants... their crap sold in supermarkets sucks, though). After years of wishing for something hotter than the typical crap "sauces" (ie. flavored vinegar) that you find in US stores, I finally found what I've been looking for.

I grew a tabasco plant (around 200-250 peppers on a single plant, which also happened to be my largest plant--amazing!), a serrano plant which started out nice but unfortunately stopped being productive once all the other plants pretty much dwarfed it and stole its light, a jalapeño plant which I shouldn't have got (it must have been diseased, didn't produce crap except a few deformed fruits that struggled to ripen, and had dark spots on its leaves), an orange habanero plant which was easily my favorite and I'm trying to keep going for next year, and countless cayenne pepper plants (which were the ones to dwarf and take all the light from poor serrano).

Forgiving the Jalapeño plant, realizing that it was probably diseased--I would have to say that my least favorite was the Tabasco plant. In food, the heat of tabasco peppers doesn't seem to spread much, causing some parts to not be hot all and other parts overwhelmingly hot. They can sometimes be nice "snacks" to eat right off the plant for a quick burst of heat, but even then their flavor is not that great.

And to put things in perspective: Yes, these were plants that were raised by some huge company (Bonnie Plants) and sold to local stores (Lowe's and Wal-Mart). But unfortunately, around where I live, there's very little selection, and I was lucky to find a habanero plant (or *anything* hot) at all. :(

I have put a lot of thought into this over the past several months and I have decided that I will not be growing the following:

Cayennes, I have all the powder that I need and really don't use it very much.

Serranos, like AJ, I grew a bunch 2 years in a row and like them, but they are a PIA to cook with due to all of the seeds

Orange Habs, like Potawie and Moyboy, I have become bored with them. I have been eating Orange Habs for years and can also find them in the super markets

Tepin, they just didn't ripen for me last year.

Chocolate Habs, I found that I like the Jamaican Hot Chocolates better.

Yellow Habs, I really liked the Peach Habs better.

I am looking forward to growing more Jalapeños and Inferno Hot Banana Peppers. The Jalapeños are going to be Billy Bikers and will be used for both fresh salsas and for poppers. The Inferno Hot Banana Peppers will be used for salads, frying and stuffed (I really love stuffed peppers). This coming year, I am trying to cut down on the variety of peppers I grow to those that I really like and want more of, but maintaining the amount of plants that I have in hopes of producing higher yields.

Back