• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Peppers not fermenting or fermenting slowly?

So I started these at the same time and gave them both a capsule or probiotic, Wtf?
One is straight cayenne and the other is straight orange hab
XZZNoS5.jpg

If they're just peppers then I would say that the fermentation is just running slow because of the low level is sugars in the mash. I prefer to put all of the ingredients for a sauce I'm fermenting into te jar to increase the sugar level. If you prefer to only do peppers I'd recommend adding some Agave Nectar to it to give the lacto a little more to eat.

Look for bubbles in the mash though and for the mash to rise. That's a sure sign that the lacto are doing the job.

RocketMan said:
If they're just peppers then I would say that the fermentation is just running slow because of the low level is sugars in the mash. I prefer to put all of the ingredients for a sauce I'm fermenting into te jar to increase the sugar level. If you prefer to only do peppers I'd recommend adding some Agave Nectar to it to give the lacto a little more to eat.
Look for bubbles in the mash though and for the mash to rise. That's a sure sign that the lacto are doing the job.
Cool thanks. Any particular reason agave nectar is so popular?

I dont mean to disagree RM, but I would sooner put a couple tbsp of table sugar in the jar than agave.  Certain strains of lactobacillus will not readily ferment fructose, but most will do sucrose.  High fructose agave is like 80% fructose, so there will be other saccharides in there, and you may very well get a strain that ferments it fine, but I have and would use sucrose, or even better, maltose.  Now when it comes to sweetening a sauce I use agave, and the lighter in color the better, since it doesnt impart much of its own flavor.

Good point Heisenburg, didn't think about that as I tend to add all the ingredients for a sauce to my mashes so lack of sugars has never been a problem. I do try to stay with natural sweet sources though so I normally wouldn't use plain white sugar. Thanks for catching it.

RocketMan said:

Heisenberg said:
I dont mean to disagree RM, but I would sooner put a couple tbsp of table sugar in the jar than agave.  Certain strains of lactobacillus will not readily ferment fructose, but most will do sucrose.  High fructose agave is like 80% fructose, so there will be other saccharides in there, and you may very well get a strain that ferments it fine, but I have and would use sucrose, or even better, maltose.  Now when it comes to sweetening a sauce I use agave, and the lighter in color the better, since it doesnt impart much of its own flavor.
Hey fellas I meant to update on this one a while ago but interestingly it seems to be purely related to temperature and adding sugar and reducing salt didn't help. When I put it in my incubator it bubbles nicely but when I take it out there is nothing. Haven't seen anything like that before with other peppers... Thanks for input

Back