• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers not getting fully developed

I have eight bhut jokolia pepper plants in pots. They are producing many peppers but they are all very small when they turn red (not orange). I am guessing it has something to do with either not enough sun or not enough heat. They are constantly blooming and making peppers but like I said just not developing. I have added a heater in that room with a thermostat to keep it above 70 but want to know if I also have to add some more light. I do not have a south facing window in the townhouse that I am in so I would have to add some artificial if that is what they need. I would prefer not to have to add artificial light if possible so let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

I have the same problems here in Florida . I attribute it to what you said" Lack of sun and temps to low". It can also be to lacking nutrients or bug infestation. Spider mites are what I have been fighting and they take there toll on your plant. Too many factors that can cause this. This time of year you may want to add some artificial light or you can just keep them alive til spring and they should bounce back.

I had this last season on plants in pots. They were in the same greenhouse as those in the ground and despite the plants doing great all the pods were small as opposed to the full sized pods from those in the ground. Same heat, same light, same air, pretty much the same soil and same fert/watering schedule. The only thing that could have caused it was a lack of room for the roots.

The few indoor grows I've done I had the same thing, small pods. Pretty sure it was lack of good light. Good luck getting it figured out.

What size pots are/ were used? 5 Gallon?

They are in 2-3 gallon pots.

Well the first problem in your in Mn, and no artifical light. I'm sure your days are kinda short, not a good combo for makin pods...

That is kind of what I thought. I just wanted to keep them alive over the winter and plant them in the ground in spring, but I thought as long as they are producing peppers it would be nice if they were normal size.

My guess is a combination of smallish pots (lacking proper root growth) and lack of adequate light...Keep in mind that it's only a guess!!

right now i have a mystery plant that has about 20 really tiny pods that are ripening small, its in a #7 pot and gets sun feom 10am till sunset. i think its the cooler temps for me, as during the summer i was getting regular sized pods! could just be the cooler temps

I agree with everyone that recommended arti-light, if you want normal sized pods anyway. If not, just wait until spring time, pot up to a 5 gallon or larger and the sunshine during spring and summer will take care of the rest. Good luck
Brandon

I had some issues with my plants that were in pots last season. The in ground plants (although it was a terrible soil mix) grew decent pods, but my potted plants (that were in ground until we got hit with terrible rain) ripened really small. I had 3 or 4 6 foot mater plants and some 3 foot pepper plants in the ground, next to 2 foot (tops) pepper plants in pots.

Just my .02

I think it has more to do with weather,soil and nutrients more than anything else. I have a red hab that has been in the same 3 gallon pot for 2 years. When it is super hot or super cold it produces small pods. When the conditions are right I get nice fat pods. Also when i feed it the right stuff I see healthier pods as well. The age of the plant IMO should not determine size.

Jamie

Back