• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peppers on the move 2020

Unfortunately for me, the start of my pepper season will have to wait until August due to a move. On the plus side, I will be able to get two growing seasons for the next two years.

In the mean time, I am getting in my stock and keeping it organized. I am going to change my label tag this season to add more info. This are just placeholders for now.

61A7390A-193D-4777-8114-31FE08489B68.jpeg

90E3A54F-EB1D-4023-82B5-E3F3E52070D8.jpeg

Edaxflamma said:

Another month in. Only what, five more until spring? The spare bedroom is getting pre-tty crowded and I'm worried I might not make it until then. 

That having been said, all in all things are growing well. Despite moving the plants another 6" away from my lights, everyone has retained their color and the flowers are coming on strong. Pretty much everyone has at least a few small flower buds. There are a few stragglers but for the most part they are all ready to fruit. 

attachicon.gif
IMG_2065.JPG

Plants in this batch are:
Aji Jobito x2
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
CAP1475
CGN21500
Elysium Oxide Scotch Bonnet
Habanada
Honeypeño
KS White Thai x3
Mini Piperka
Pimenta Luna Habanero
Pink Tiger X Bhut (dark leaf pheno)
Pink Tiger X Bhut (light leaf pheno)
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama
Scotch Bonnet MOA x2
Shishito x3
Sugar Rush Peach
Sweet Datil
THSC Black Scorpion x2
Thunder Mountain Longhorn
Trinidad Perfume
White Hot Lime x3

attachicon.gif
IMG_2067.jpg

A few of the farms I have worked with have grown shishitos but I don't remember the plants ever flowering this aggressively. So far I think maybe one or two flowers in total have dropped and the rest seem to be taking. I may be able to cut back to only one or two plants if they continue to be this prolific.

Similarly, the Mini Piperka has also been very doing well. While it isn't as prolific, it was one of the first two plants with flowers. I am hoping that this peppers stops growing soon. I really don't want to have to dig a hole in the pot to accommodate this thing. I might try gently bending it to the side with some strategically placed cardboard.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2072.jpg

Oddly enough, one of my neighbors is from Macedonia and is thrilled that I'll have mini and full sized Verzena Piperka later in the season. I don't know much about Macedonian wine or cuisine but I get the feeling that I will know quite a bit very soon haha.

A few others are coming along nicely like this Sugar Rush Peach. I wasn't expecting fruit this early but I'll take what I can get. From what I read they can take a while to mature so I might as well get them set early on.
attachicon.gif
IMG_2069.jpg

The THSC Black Scorpion Tongue is starting to send up some nice purple flowers as well. 
attachicon.gif
IMG_2070.jpg

This next lot is going to be what does me in. I can feel it.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2071.JPG

My second planting has finally started picking up steam after their initial transplant shock and I figure I have a month, maybe two before they will need to be repotted. A few of the pots have multiple plants so I will likely have to make some tough calls sooner than I would like. 

In this planting we have:
Aji Charapita
Aji Mango
Aji Pineapple
Aleppo
Bird's Eye Baby
Blended Lemon Yellow
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cap 270
Cheiro Refife
Clavo Peach
El Oro De Ecuador
Farmer's Market Jalapeno
Galapagos Habanero
Habanero Oxkutzcabian Orange
Hallow's Eve
Jamy
Korean Gochu (smaller pheno)
KS Lemon Starrburst
Lemon Drop
Peach Gum Tiger
Piazinho
Pimenta Da Dog
Pink Habanero
Pockmark Orange
Purple Cacho White Leaves
Sugar Rush Stripey
Testanera Choco
Tiger Jalapeno
Trepadeira Werner
White Habanero

We'll see how things progress. I am hoping that I can get some quick fruit off of this batch and the batch prior and then start culling varieties that aren't to our taste. I would like to isolate some seed from the large majority of these and try to kick some back to the community but growing space may dictate what can and can't be saved.

I'll check back in another month or so and let you know whether I've started using a machete as a second house key. Also I'll see what I can do about preventing the blurry washed out photos for next time. The new lighting has made photos a bit challenging.

What?  No Defko?

Harry_Dangler said:
What?  No Defko?
Haha I did save some seeds and it definitely has a special place in my heartburn. I'll break it out every couple of seasons for sure but dude, that's a seriously hot pepper. If I can't get the endorphin rush from my other varieties, that one will certainly do the trick.

Edit: I hate going back and editing posts but I have to ask - what on earth do you use those for? 

That's a hot one for sure.  I sell/trade the pods and make powder out of the rest.  It's not in the plan for 2021.  I have too many other candidates on the list.    

I agree about the SRP taking a long
time to ripen, but the wait is worth it!

Oh man, it's been a while.

8985B966-D51E-4A49-B2F4-782AABACC23E (1).JPG

As much as I love growing plants, trying to nurse 150+ plants through the winter was not a wise move. I think next time I will just wait to start seeds like everyone else. Fruits have been few and far between but I blame my growing conditions. Everyone was well and truly pot bound by the time they got transplanted just a few days ago.

IMG_2264.JPG

Now that the temperatures have finally warmed up for us down here a third of my plants have been repotted and have finally made it outside. Unfortunately, no sooner did I put them out, were we beset upon by what seems to be the entire town's whitefly population. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that but first we need to get through the sunscald and transplant shock.

IMG_2265 (1).JPG

The list as it stands presently (1-4 plants per variety):
Aji Jobito
Aji Mango
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Aleppo
Bird's Eye Baby
Blended Lemon Yellow
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cap 270
CAP1475
CGN21500
Clavo Peach
El Oro De Ecuador
Elysium Oxide Scotch Bonnet
Farmer's Market Jalapeno
Galapagos Habanero
Habanada
Habanero Oxkutzcabian Orange
Hallow's Eve
Honeypeño
Jamy
Korean Gochu (smaller pheno)
KS Lemon Starrburst
KS White Thai
Lemon Drop
Mini Piperka
Piazinho
Pimenta Da Dog
Pimenta Luna Habanero
Pink Habanero
Pink Tiger X Bhut (dark leaf pheno)
Pink Tiger X Bhut (light leaf pheno)
Pockmark Orange
Purple Cacho White Leaves
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Shishito
Sugar Rush Peach
Sugar Rush Stripey
Sweet Datil
Testanera Choco
THSC Black Scorpion
Thunder Mountain Longhorn
Tiger Jalapeno
Trinidad Perfume
White Habanero
White Hot Lime

Nice to see your plants made it alive :thumbsup:

I have the same issue with whiteflies...  :confused:  They seem to proliferate in the running up to the rainy season. Also, I don't know what kind of vegetation you have at your locality, but here in the South there is currently is not much new growth and I often have the impression that a roof terrace full of young and lush plants acts like a magnet. I have ordered neem oil and hope this will help to keep their abundance low. So far a rub with the thumb has helped a lot, but this becomes increasingly impractical and time-consuming as the plants become bigger.

Back