• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pequin or what?

Tabascos are pretty vicious little buggers too, they sting your mouth like a wasp hit! Is there any chance of getting a pic of your son in laws plant?

Yeah they are supposed to be around 100,000 shu, tabascos 50,000.
I should be able to tell if there is any heat difference but my decision will be based on flavour alone.

No way a pequin would taste like a tabasco is there?

No way a pequin would taste like a tabasco is there?
I dunno but I would think not. My Tabasco plant only produced a handful of pods this season, but from what I can remember, they had quite a unique taste all of their own.

I gotta say, as much as I ain't a fan of the sauce, the actual chillies surprised me with their awsomeness taste!

Yes they ruin the pepper with their sauce but i still like it, always will because thats what got me into hot stuff.
Now i make my own sauce, much better lol.

Yes they ruin the pepper with their sauce but i still like it, always will because thats what got me into hot stuff.
Now i make my own sauce, much better lol.
I thought about doing that myself and, you know, make it taste a little more like Tabascos rather than vinegar.

I gotta admit though, the Chipotle Tabasco is pretty damn good! However, at $15 a pop from the only place I have found that sells it here, it's not something I can afford to use all the time. :(

Piquins are fiery hot mid summer - Did you have that growing inside under lamps? I think once you put it outside it will take off they do get quite tall and prolific

Piquins are a group of small chiles, hence the name....piquin just means small in Spanish.

Lots of different piquins in the mercado.

after reviewing chiliman and g6 comparing pics of both pequin and tobasco, i am humbling and thinking they could be either - but leaning toward the pequin.

i have never had interest in tobasco, i don't even buy the sauce anymore. figure i have enough pointy red type pods with goatsweed, superchili, sannam and another pointy cluster type from india.

i didn't order my pequin online, bought them in a local grocery store. for over a year i would look at the package pods and wonder if they would grow. so about a month ago, so bought a package for the seeds and planted 6, all six germinated, which wasn't my intention as i have way too many plants - i only wanted 1 or 2 plants. they did need the heat mat to germinate and took 10 days to sprout. the grocery store also has dried de arbol but definitely have no interest in that.

ground the dried pods and they are hot and nutty flavoured and scented, almost like a walnut in scent. i just put a dab of powder on my tongue and that walnut flavour is instant. the heat was instant as well, first hitting the tongue tip then quickly moved to the back of my throat. it has been about 5 minutes, the throat burn is gone but the tongue tip is still radiating heat. and my nose started to drip.

Piquins are fiery hot mid summer - Did you have that growing inside under lamps? I think once you put it outside it will take off they do get quite tall and prolific

Have been growing it outside but weather is on & off so is probably slowing it down, it's about 12 weeks old now.

Just chomped on one :surprised: it has a fruity bell pepper taste with a massive smack in the mouth, makes my lips numb and cough like crazy, gotta love it!

The heat is like a bee sting hits you fast then kinda fades
I have found that too. Quick and sharp but maybe only lasts for a minute or two.

Just chomped on one :surprised: it has a fruity bell pepper taste with a massive smack in the mouth, makes my lips numb and cough like crazy, gotta love it!
That's what I love about them, good heat but with more of an annuum taste. :D

And on their own, they sure can be intense! I ate one not so long ago that actually made me hiccup! :shocked: :rofl:

The first time I was given some I didn't know how hot they were, I thought oh those little things couldn't be that hot so I chopped up 15 of them and put them in my bowl of soup! Yee Haa took me ages to finish it and the next morning, well you know! :onfire:

UPDATE:

Pics of the mother plant!

pequinm_1.jpg

pequinm_2.jpg

:eek:

Holy bejebus thats an outright MONSTER! Do you know how old that is?
Looking at the plant though (tree really) it doesn't look like a Tabasco but then again i have never seen one that big!

Ummmm ... cough...splutter, errrrrr i don't think it's a Tabasco but will reserve judgement until i taste them :lol: In any case i am sooo planting some of the seeds :D

Back