• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Perhaps some tips on what peppers love(When growing)?

I feed mine Miracle Gro Tomato plant food, and they seem to love it. There are a lot of folks on here who may be able to recommend some preferred organics, if you'd prefer to go that way. I know compost tea is very popular, but I haven't tried it.... yet. Best of luck!

Liquid worm castings, seaweed/fish emulsion fertilizer, water, direct sun, occasional rain, etc.

Granted the liquid worm castings and the seaweed/fish emulsion might be a little expensive up front, but yo only really need to feed them these ferts about once a month, give or take, and even then, the seaweed/fish emulsion has to be diluted 100:1, so a $150 5-gallon bucket of it will last you a good long while.

Oh yes, and don't forget minerals. Floricole already mentioned epsom salt, which is awesome, and CalMag, or if you go through a lot of eggs/shellfish in your diet, crushed eggshells/seashells are great for the added calcium. Just make sure to not add too much, since even calcium preferring plants like peppers and tomatoes only need so much :)

OKGrowin said:
cheesecake, flowers, long walks on the beach

(ps. care to be more specific exactly what info you're needing?)

There doesn't seem to be a sticky about what peppers like, as an example, peppers like it hot, between 75-85F even in germination. Tips like that.

Sorry there's a lot of different tips when it comes to growing peppers. The best advice I could give is check out some of the veteran growers Glogs on here. That's how I found out what to do and not to do. The rest is trial and error. I'm not a newbie to growing. But I did learn a lot about this species of plant. So many ways to grow container, ground , hydro, soil, soilless. But as general rule the nutes and minerals Cap has mentioned is a good start. Wish you best of luck in your gardening adventure. Hope this helps.

Best growing tip I have ever heard was to LEAVE THEM BE! Peppers can for the most part take care of themselves. Don't over fert. Don't overwater.

AnthonyMendonca said:

There doesn't seem to be a sticky about what peppers like, as an example, peppers like it hot, between 75-85F even in germination. Tips like that.

Very true! Peppers tend to be quite finicky when germinating and very young, but by and large, when they mature, the plants will be more tolerant of temperature differences (both higher and lower). Just keep a weather eye out for the leaves looking like they're drooping too much and outta water. I've had my plants easily tolerate a couple nights of tempts in the high 40's/low 50's, but thankfully the temps went right back up.

Chiles are related to tomatoes, and similarly need calcium to prevent blossom end rot (BER) once they kick into production. They don't like their roots to get below 50F for an extended period, but if it gets below that at night yet warms up during the day, they're ok. They don't like to be overwatered, as they tend to like things slightly on the dry side (moist, but not wet.) Yes, 6+ hours of sunlight a day.

Regarding nutrients.. If you are growing in the ground the best thing you can do is get your soil tested. Possibly free through your local extension service, or $20 to buy a reusable tester from Lowes. Adding nutrients to the soil without knowing what you are starting with can do more harm than good. 

It helps to have soil that warms up quickly each day. In the ground, that means well-drained, good tilth, not too wet. I've had very good luck with black plastic containers, 5 to 7 gal. depending on the size of the variety. A small plant like a Serrano or Tabasco may work better in a 5, and a big one like Yellow Banana in a 7. Any good bagged potting soil works fine in containers.

In the ground, I dig in a mix of steer manure and bagged Kellogg's Amend, using enough to make the soil nice and light, (with my heavy soil, that usually means as much as would cover each square foot at least 4 inches deep--and more is better.) Sometimes I add some regular all-purpose sand (do NOT use the stuff that's been graded--unless you have both finer and coarser sand particles, you can easily end up with something more like concrete!) I usually dig some gypsum into the soil, too--the calcium and sulfur it supplies help. And a generous layer of coarse mulch on top after everything's planted is a good idea.

Sometimes I just dig a moderate amount of any good tomato or vegetable fertilizer (I prefer the ones that list which micronutrients they contain) into the soil before I plant. I then pour some epsom salts (drugstore kind is just fine) dissolved in water over the plants every couple weeks to give them the extra magnesium they need. A drenching with a solution of a couple teaspoons per gallon is about right.

I've also had very good results with Miracle Gro Tomato Food, which has the right amount of magnesium in it, about once a week. augmented with an occasional leaf spray of calcium nitrate. I use about two teaspoons of the 10% liquid per gallon of water once every couple weeks or so. This prevents a "seersucker" puckering the leaves tend to develop. Since the calcium nitrate concentrate I use also contains about 8% nitrate, this also gives the plants a little shot of instantly usable nitrogen. Don't go nuts with this--if the seersucker leaves stop forming, you can back off.

The other thing is tip pinching. Pinching out terminal buds forces growth down lower, making a bushier plant. I've also had peppers--especially when I was a little late planting them--start flowering and fruiting before the plant's grown very much. When that happens, I keep pinching out flowers and fruit until the plant is bigger. Don't sweat the loss. In the end, I think I've gotten even more peppers by doing that. Here in L.A., I had a Caribbean plant a few years ago that was still cranking out dozens of beautiful, deep-red habaneros  well into November.

CYLONSAMONGUS said:
Really? Could I use the stuff collecting in my protein skimmer?
I wouldn't use it if it's a salt water tank.  You might want to compost it first so the salts wash out of it.

I pull it directly out of the swirl filter on my aquaponics system and toss it into the soil with the water that comes out with it.  Fish waste is great stuff. I feed my koi and goldfish a healthy blend of vegetable and protein based flakes and pellets and occasionally insects both wild caught and freeze dried. Oh and pruned leaves.  They love pepper leaves XD.

And of course, I grow hydro plants directly in the fish water :) I grew indeterminate tomatoes in the system last year and they grew, no joke, 4 feet a week...I didn't have enough room for it...some of the branches of the vine grew over into the tank and got stripped of leaves by the fish lol.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/Psyclonix/PICT1470_zpsdb8a5ea3.jpg

Back