• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

Big old pods on this boy...

IMG_5046.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

The TS Greens are monsters... also produced a great yield of these massive pods... still got to do a taste test of these - but just putting it off!

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5051.jpg

The Devil's Tongue Chocolates are coming in fast and furious. Nice looking pods they are.

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

stickman said:
Agreed... Aphids and Whiteflies suck... in both senses of the word... :rolleyes:  but despite that you're getting what look like decent harvests. It's a shame that the netting keeps out the friendlies, but it could also keep them in too if you could collect enough of them and introduce them into the enclosure. maybe next year you could replace the side netting with chicken wire (or metal mesh of the appropriate size) and leave the netting on top of the enclosure to provide partial shade. Then the friendlies could get through the larger openings in the wire, and the rodents and monkeys wouldn't be able to tear the netting to get inside the enclosure. If you're worried about them getting through the netting on top you could completely enclose the space with the wire and re-fastening the netting on top. Just a thought...
Thanks Rick - as always great input! That is a brilliant idea... I think that is the answer - well done my friend... total genius!
Naga Morich...

IMG_5055.jpg

These have been brilliant producers, absolute tons of these fiery pods coming in...

Reapers this year are nothing like last year... small and mostly no tails... But it don't take a lot of these pods to heat things up!

IMG_5063.jpg

Primo... I quite liked the taste of these. Burn was fairly hectic... but really nice and long...

IMG_5066.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

Morugas are small... but also, you don't need much to get the heat...

IMG_5069.jpg

ButchT X Morugas...

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_5072.jpg

Straight ButchT's...

IMG_5073.jpg

A hand full of pain ;)

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

Now like the Reapers... my ButchT x Jonah's have just completely disappeared.... the pods are miniature pin pricks compared to last seasons super eveil scary rip your guts out one time kinda kick ass pods. WTF? This must be a root problem I think...

IMG_5077.jpg

7 Pot Jonah..

IMG_5078.jpg

Clear signs of struggle this season...

IMG_5079.jpg

I am loving these Douglah hybrids.... huge pods compared to the straight Douglahs. Milder by a smidge or two, but super tasty. I hate brown chillies... but I loved these. I think there is some red super in the mix here and it has made these less herbacious and bitter... more sweet - yum

IMG_5080.jpg

A big consistent producer of pods...

IMG_5081.jpg

Straight Douglah... these revealed in a taste test that they were definitely blisteringly hot...

IMG_5082.jpg

I like this next one. The Nagalah. Cross between a Naga and Douglah... great grower, great yielding plant and all round well natured chilli. I have seen other people out there with Bhutlahs... the same I think, just a different spin on the name?

IMG_5086.jpg

Jamaican Gold... taking foreeeeeeever to change colour. Great grower though... nice healthy bushy plants.

IMG_5087.jpg

The White Bhuts from Ramon were doing so well untill the aphids took a shine to them. But this week already there were definite signs of improvement :)

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Hong Kong's coming along nicely...

IMG_5101.jpg

Thanks for the enormous amount of great podshots, Lourens. Sorry to hear about your struggle with nature this season :( I must say, I'm rather surprised your Orange Blob is putting out different shaped pods then I've seen so far on everyone else his plants and mine. Normally they should be more Bonnet shaped and not so smooth surface. Maybe it's because these are the first pods on the plant, correct?

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

Charles' Yellow Bhuts look like are a making pods

Yellow Bhut "B" is still behind on that front...

IMG_5129.jpg

Loads of other Bhuts podding up... I do like the humble Bhut - it's burn and taste are simply perfect. And those flavours and that burn just keep on going... simply brilliant I think.

IMG_5130.jpg

And I think I will end on the Calapeño Thunder... looks like colour is about to come... let's see if I get there before the monkeys do!

IMG_5146.jpg

meatfreak said:
Thanks for the enormous amount of great podshots, Lourens. Sorry to hear about your struggle with nature this season :( I must say, I'm rather surprised your Orange Blob is putting out different shaped pods then I've seen so far on everyone else his plants and mine. Normally they should be more Bonnet shaped and not so smooth surface. Maybe it's because these are the first pods on the plant, correct?
Hi Stefan... thanks for popping in! Not to worry my friend... these are the first pods. Overall this season my pods have been less angry looking... smaller and smoother. This I put down to the huge amounts of rain we have had and the cooler weather. But you are also right in saying these are the first pods... I am sure they will still come right. They have struggled and come a long way this season. I really am excited to try them... even if the shape is not quite right :)

You and your peppers have persevered through a heckuva lot of the pestilence this season. I love to come look at all the variety and diversity you've got going. 
A friend and fellow pepper addict is on vacay in south Asia, I hope he brings back some new seed goodies. A large portion of your grow I've never seen of heard of.

Those Joe's long cayennes are beauties!
I may give the Bishops another try next year. They made a large plant for me, set lots of fruit, but not many ripe ones before frost..

Keep the faith!

JJJessee said:
You and your peppers have persevered through a heckuva lot of the pestilence this season. I love to come look at all the variety and diversity you've got going. 
A friend and fellow pepper addict is on vacay in south Asia, I hope he brings back some new seed goodies. A large portion of your grow I've never seen of heard of.

Those Joe's long cayennes are beauties!
I may give the Bishops another try next year. They made a large plant for me, set lots of fruit, but not many ripe ones before frost..

Keep the faith!
Hi Carl, glad to hear my grow is of interest to you. It's mostly all new for me too. That is what makes our hobby such fun. With a as diverse an interest as chillies, there is always new chillies to grow ;) The Bishops do take a long time. It may be wise to start these early early. Even here in our hot climate they only change colour right at the very end of the season. But it is worth the wait!

So many kinds of peppers Lourens, my mouth has been watering for some fresh peppers. I dried some large red 7 pods and packed them in a jar and filled it with olive oil they are quite tasty that way not as good as fresh. I love the long twisted peppers they look so mean at times especially when they are fully ripe. I eat my last bottle of pickled peppers that I had they were a mix of the orchid, Orange Aji and some Pakistani peppers, I will be growing all three again this season, I have been keeping my extra room a little cooler than I normally do, its been so cold here these last two months my electric bill was a bit of a shock as it was almost twice as much this year as it was last. I think I may loose some of my over winters as I'm running out of room fast and haven't been able to find the lights I need to keep all my plants and seedlings going, but I have more than enough seedlings to replace any that I may lose. Almost all of the reaper seeds you sent me have popped and are doing well, I can't wait to try one along side a primo. I have some crosses that I want to try, most of the really hot ones are dried or made into a sauce the rest will be pickled or blended into the pepper powder that I make. I think this year I will cold smoke some of them and pack them in bottles topped off with olive oil.
Well take care
George

wildseed57 said:
So many kinds of peppers Lourens, my mouth has been watering for some fresh peppers. I dried some large red 7 pods and packed them in a jar and filled it with olive oil they are quite tasty that way not as good as fresh. I love the long twisted peppers they look so mean at times especially when they are fully ripe. I eat my last bottle of pickled peppers that I had they were a mix of the orchid, Orange Aji and some Pakistani peppers, I will be growing all three again this season, I have been keeping my extra room a little cooler than I normally do, its been so cold here these last two months my electric bill was a bit of a shock as it was almost twice as much this year as it was last. I think I may loose some of my over winters as I'm running out of room fast and haven't been able to find the lights I need to keep all my plants and seedlings going, but I have more than enough seedlings to replace any that I may lose. Almost all of the reaper seeds you sent me have popped and are doing well, I can't wait to try one along side a primo. I have some crosses that I want to try, most of the really hot ones are dried or made into a sauce the rest will be pickled or blended into the pepper powder that I make. I think this year I will cold smoke some of them and pack them in bottles topped off with olive oil.
Well take care
George
Hi George my friend - good to hear from you! You guys have had a hectic winter from what I have heard. I think the weather all round has been strange... you guys north with your exceptionally cold winter and us down south with our exceptionally cool and wet summer. But there is nothing better for it than to pickle those rays of sunshine in a bottle for winter!
I have finally had a chance to try the Primo this season. It is a hot 7 Pot for sure. I would say it was not as hot as the Barrakpore, but it was very tasty and the burn really went on and on - which is something I look for in a good pepper. Those flavours and that burn must just go on. The Reaper in my experience is a beast in its own category. It really is very tasty... but its burn is like nothing I have ever felt before. I did my YouTube taste test in April last year and I called it then already that this was without a doubt the hottest chilli in the world. I had tried the ButchT and the Moruga previously, so I just knew. The Reaper was for me head and shoulders hotter than the others. I was very fortunate to have grown the Reapers last season as the weather was just perfect for exceptionally hot pods. Anyway - it is definitely something to try - umm - once lol
It sounds like you have definite plans for the season ahead - I will be looking forward to reading about your season ;)
Working into the wee hours of the morning here chopping and de-seeding them chillies. I hate this part of the job!!!! Barely making a scratch with all these pods...

Spicegeist said:
Nice to see the Yellow Bhuts coming in.

Weird about your tiny pod issue... hope you figure it out...
Hey Charles, I think you were spot on when you said the roots might be the issue. I think you are right. I did not loosen them roots enough... when they came out of their OW packets that soil around the roots was solid as a block of concrete. The problem I think has to be a root issue...

Seriously astonished by your grow every time I come through here! Despite a few setbacks nagging you, looks to be a very successful year. Thanks for giving all us dealing with Winter some great poddage shots to get our fix!

Nick08* said:
Seriously astonished by your grow every time I come through here! Despite a few setbacks nagging you, looks to be a very successful year. Thanks for giving all us dealing with Winter some great poddage shots to get our fix!
Thank you Nick... always a pleasure and the reverse is true for me when we are in winter here. It is great to just kick back and see the grows in the north!

Penny said:
Holy cow.....well done, everything looks amazing, nice and green  :dance:
Thank you Penny - I must say that I am very excited to get going on your tomato seeds you sent me. Do you think temperature ranges in our winter 200C - 00C will be good to grow? I will probably keep them in my Greenhouse - so I imagine temps will be more like 250C - 50C... the low temperature would only be in extreme cases and only from about 3am - 6am in the morning... ?

I'm sure that you could start them now and have success, I'd hold back a few seeds just in case  ;) ...but the fact that you don't have snow at the moment, I'd think it's safe :rofl:

Seriously though, all of your plants look wonderful  :dance:

Penny said:
I'm sure that you could start them now and have success, I'd hold back a few seeds just in case  ;) ...but the fact that you don't have snow at the moment, I'd think it's safe :rofl:

Seriously though, all of your plants look wonderful  :dance:
Thank you Penny!

Back