• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

PaulG said:
Glad to hear you outwitted the hail storms, buddy!
Het Paul. The first hailstorm was a big one that got the overwintered plants, but I think all it did was weed the stragglers from the healthy overwintered plants. I am thankful for this. I hate spending weeks nursing and desperately trying to get an overwintered straggler to get going and then it just dies (my usual situation) lol Anyway, as it stands with this seasons change of growing in pots, hail is the least of their problems... they have to survive me and my ability to overwater pot plants with my heavy handed watering can arm  :rofl: :rofl:

On another note, we have had yet another Postal Strike. This is about one every second month so far. This last one has been going for about two months now. Nothing is coming into our country or going out. I have about $200 worth of seeds piled up somewhere. It will be a miracle to get the seeds if the strike ever ends... worse still, I will never get the seeds in time for this seasons grow. It is a travesty but one I have learned to accept and just to move on with our season nd grow what I have. It will be a huge bugbear though thinking - I should be growing this and that also.

Business too has been afected ofcourse. No postal services means I have to use courier. I can see the benefits of using couriers as it closes all the loop holes of sending seeds in the regular mail. Clients get a 24 hour national turn around with tracking. While customers grumble about the higher cost... but once they get their order before 10:30am the next morning they say they will never begrudge paying the $9 again. It usually takes 6 working days to send regular mail from one end of the country to the other. I am always amazed how life throws us negatives and out of negatives (usually) comes something positive :)

Anyway... lots happening. My garden has been shade netted from top to bottom. And I am busy putting down ground cover at the moment. I have been very busy an will post pics real soon!
Penny said:
I just looked at 2 pages, and no pics!!!! ;)  :dance:
Hello Penny. How are you doing? :oops:  lol I have been told in no uncertain terms! I must apologise. Things have been up in the air. Lots going on and no camera in hand. I will get pictures up shortly. By the way, your tomatoes are looking mighty fine... I may be a little short on the chilli varietes this season but it is going to be a bumper tomato season! I just can't wait to try some of these tomatoes... I loved the Cherokees and Sun Gold's I grew last season... this is going to be epic ;)

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the post Lourens. That's gotta hurt when you're trying to run an Ebusiness. :(

It's too bad you don't have all your pots in one location so you could run a low-pressure drip irrigation line. After using one for the last couple of years, I swear by them! :)  From your description of your current growing conditions it sounds like the shade netting is necessary... one good thing... if the plants are close to dwellings, at least the Vervet Monkeys shouldn't be a problem this year, or at least I hope so. Looking forward to pics when you get around to it... ;)

That sucks with the postal strike, we've had that happen a couple times and you don't seem to miss it until your not getting your mail anymore.....hope the seeds make it through for you.

Glad to hear the tomatoes are doing great, if you ever need more or want to try some more new ones, let me know. ;)

Penny said:
That sucks with the postal strike, we've had that happen a couple times and you don't seem to miss it until your not getting your mail anymore.....hope the seeds make it through for you.

Glad to hear the tomatoes are doing great, if you ever need more or want to try some more new ones, let me know. ;)
Hi Penny, thank you I definately will. My first year for growing heirlooms was last season and the taste was just like seeing for the first time. Tomatoes from shops taste sooo bland. I had no idea... so really looking forward to trying new varieties ;) How did you go with the seeds I sent you?
stickman said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the post Lourens. That's gotta hurt when you're trying to run an Ebusiness. :(

It's too bad you don't have all your pots in one location so you could run a low-pressure drip irrigation line. After using one for the last couple of years, I swear by them! :)  From your description of your current growing conditions it sounds like the shade netting is necessary... one good thing... if the plants are close to dwellings, at least the Vervet Monkeys shouldn't be a problem this year, or at least I hope so. Looking forward to pics when you get around to it... ;)
Naah... no worries! It is what it is. Dust off and move on.

I am actually looking to do a drip irrigation this season. Plants in bags with drip nozzles in each. The most expensive part thus far is actually them drip nozzles. The cheapest I can find here is about 40c and with over 1000 plants that is quite an outlay. I am playing around with creating my own at the mo. I have put a screw in the end of the thin tubing and a small in prick hole in the tube at the end. With the water pressure it does produce a wee drizzle. I still have to test it by timing the run and seeing how much water comes through the hole.  Drip nozzls here are sold in 2, 4 & 6 litres/hr configurations. A screw in the end would cost a lot less than buying the drip nozzles for sure. At the moment I am still watering by hand. But soon, this may not be so feasible anymore lol

Well if a drought is coming your way I'm sorry, cuz it's no fun! We started seeing more rain 2 years ago in September. Not a whole lot more but more ;)  And this summer we had more rain than the last 10-12 years. Never enough to help the lakes and aquifers which badly need it, but it kept the grass green for the ranchers and the farmers didn't have to irrigate so much.

Growing in bags versus the pots should work better for you as they breath. The 20 gallon bags I made did really well in the heat of the summer, downside is moving them!

Drip irrigation is the way to go for sure. Unfortunately our well water fouls the emitters, due to a high calcium content.

Good luck this season!

Hi Lourens, we are going through our wet and cool fall here, we will get our killing frost in another week or so then it will be nice mild weather for a month or so before it turns ugly and we get hit with some snow. That is if we get our regular weather pattern, but with the climate changes going on its very hard to say just what we will get I'm really hoping for a really mild winter with a wet cool spring up until the end of may then a good warm up for my peppers and tomatoes.
i really like the OP heirloom type tomatoes, you just can't beat the flavor of them, i have a couple that puts out big 3 or more pound tomatoes,  one year I picked 3 giant tomatoes that weighed in at 5 pounds each with the rest going 1 pound or more, it got to where I would take a knife and some salt to the garden with me and fill up on big fresh juicy tomatoes.
The only draw back is most have no disease resistance and die out from blight or some other disease and the weather has to be just right,  this year I lost all ten of my best tomato plants that gave me the huge sweet tomatoes I like, while the small salad and cherry tomatoes did the best and even some of them died from blight or some other disease.

Sorry to hear about your mailing woses, I can't imagine what kind of problems it would cause here if we couldn't depend on our mailing system, although the system we have is in bad shape money wise and has to keep raising the rates to keep them going.

Next years grow will be mostly rare and hard to grow wild species, I'm waiting on some very rare seeds that should get to me by next month or so. I will have a few super hots and am going to try and grow some more Reapers, I just hope that I don't have rabbits problems again, I popped another one the other day and had  fried rabbit with biscuits and gravy with some slices of some nice sweet tomatoes, the tomatoes were just my salad types, but they have a nice sweet flavor that is hard to beat.

I grew five varieties of rare wild pepper which included 4 galapagoense plants,the ones I'm waiting on are C. flexuosum, C. lanceolatum and C. tovarii. and maybe a C. parvifolium if I get lucky, I plan to buy some more praetermissum, eximiums and some C. chacoense from Judy at pepperlover.com. I would like to get a true C. cardenasii, but as it turns out they are very rare as most are crossed with either C. eximium or C. pubescens, so I may not find any for some time to come, then it will take some time to grow out enough plants so people can share out seeds.
My plan to grow out as many wild varieties is so I can build up a big supply of seeds then give them all out to someone that will see that they are given out to people who want to grow them. 
This will take a few of years as i don't have a large piece of land to grow lots of plants at one time and will have to grow just one species at a time so that all the seeds will be pure seeds and no crosses. There are no other gardens with in a square mile of me so I won't have to worry about my plants getting pollen from someone elses pepper plants. Still at a possible 11 or more species I will have to grow maybe two species at a time and then bag off as many blooms as I can and get rid of the seeds that might have crossed.
Well the rain has stopped so I will end this post and walk my dog, I hope you have a great season and a good turnout of peppers for you.

George

wildseed57 said:
Hi Lourens, we are going through our wet and cool fall here, we will get our killing frost in another week or so then it will be nice mild weather for a month or so before it turns ugly and we get hit with some snow. That is if we get our regular weather pattern, but with the climate changes going on its very hard to say just what we will get I'm really hoping for a really mild winter with a wet cool spring up until the end of may then a good warm up for my peppers and tomatoes.
i really like the OP heirloom type tomatoes, you just can't beat the flavor of them, i have a couple that puts out big 3 or more pound tomatoes,  one year I picked 3 giant tomatoes that weighed in at 5 pounds each with the rest going 1 pound or more, it got to where I would take a knife and some salt to the garden with me and fill up on big fresh juicy tomatoes.
The only draw back is most have no disease resistance and die out from blight or some other disease and the weather has to be just right,  this year I lost all ten of my best tomato plants that gave me the huge sweet tomatoes I like, while the small salad and cherry tomatoes did the best and even some of them died from blight or some other disease.

Sorry to hear about your mailing woses, I can't imagine what kind of problems it would cause here if we couldn't depend on our mailing system, although the system we have is in bad shape money wise and has to keep raising the rates to keep them going.

Next years grow will be mostly rare and hard to grow wild species, I'm waiting on some very rare seeds that should get to me by next month or so. I will have a few super hots and am going to try and grow some more Reapers, I just hope that I don't have rabbits problems again, I popped another one the other day and had  fried rabbit with biscuits and gravy with some slices of some nice sweet tomatoes, the tomatoes were just my salad types, but they have a nice sweet flavor that is hard to beat.

I grew five varieties of rare wild pepper which included 4 galapagoense plants,the ones I'm waiting on are C. flexuosum, C. lanceolatum and C. tovarii. and maybe a C. parvifolium if I get lucky, I plan to buy some more praetermissum, eximiums and some C. chacoense from Judy at pepperlover.com. I would like to get a true C. cardenasii, but as it turns out they are very rare as most are crossed with either C. eximium or C. pubescens, so I may not find any for some time to come, then it will take some time to grow out enough plants so people can share out seeds.
My plan to grow out as many wild varieties is so I can build up a big supply of seeds then give them all out to someone that will see that they are given out to people who want to grow them. 
This will take a few of years as i don't have a large piece of land to grow lots of plants at one time and will have to grow just one species at a time so that all the seeds will be pure seeds and no crosses. There are no other gardens with in a square mile of me so I won't have to worry about my plants getting pollen from someone elses pepper plants. Still at a possible 11 or more species I will have to grow maybe two species at a time and then bag off as many blooms as I can and get rid of the seeds that might have crossed.
Well the rain has stopped so I will end this post and walk my dog, I hope you have a great season and a good turnout of peppers for you.

George
Hey George,
That sounds like an awesome project growing them super rare wild chillies. Now that you are going into your lengthy winter slumber, you have loads of time to sort the seeds out. I have had very limited luck with these. I have grown Puta Parios very successfully (but not sure if those count), I had the Cumari Pollux and am trying to grow from seed again this season and the Cumari do Para, but I dont think those count either as truly wild. Still, they gave me a run for my money to get them going lol ISn't it funny how the world around us reach for the GM packet to grow easy and we here are reaching for the most expensive seeds that are possibly the most diffcult to grow?
Quite tricky to grow species in isolation I believe. Lots of people using muslin bags... but I think pollen is smaller than the nets anyway. Not sure about this. I think the only way is to grow them geologically in isolation one plant at a time. Or to grow each variety in its own hermetically sealed tunnel. But then there is still the big question... how were the origin plants grown that your seeds came from and have your seeds not already had a genetic mutation from another species. But wow, what a project. You get my thumbs up for that project!

Rabbits... the nice thing is the fact you can shoot them - never thought of that. Rabbit with a nice cream and wild mushroom sauce. Maybe some chantarelles... yum! I can hear my kids going Daaaaad! lol Hell, I am so glad we have no rabbits. We do have monkeys though... but we now have ads on our TV telling us not to eat monkeys lol As if... fortunately here in South Africa things are a little more civilized in that we do not have an indiginous culture of eating bats or monkeys. I am surprised to see these ads on our TV, but then I suppose we have imigrants from effected countries that reside in our country. We are however as far from the affected countries as Toronto is from Mexico I think. My geography sucks, but it is a long way :)

On the bright side, I have not seen any mail for months now... hell, when that mail starts going again theres going to be an avalanche for sure and I anticipate there will be a shed load of seeds too lol

Hey Lourrens.  I'll be interested to see how your 'screw in the tube' method
works for the drip nozzles.  In my experience with drippers, if you buy 12, at
least 1 or 2 are going to be screwed up somehow, usually too low of a flow.  
That adds to the cost.

Dude!  You are going to have 1000 plants in containers!?
I can't even imagine that.  I have my hands full with 50!

Good luck getting this all together, my friend.Let me know when the postal
strike is over so I can send you some powders!

I should have a great time trying to get everything to sprout, I found that the older the seeds are the harder it is to get them to come up and then come up without having a helmet head I have found that spraying the stuck seed coat with diluted H. peroxide twice a day helps them to shead the seed coat. The waiting part can be a bummer as you can get tired and give up after a month or more and dump the soil back into some other seed tray and then have them pop up and then you play the " what is the name of this pepper" game.

I use mosquito netting and have had 90% pure seeds by bagging off whole plants or limbs,  I bleach the netting to make it let in more light if I can't find a dence white netting other than mosquito netting.

I'm not looking forward to winter as I just don't like cold snowy or Icy days, so i end up not doing anything but eating and sleeping a lot. I keep saying i need to move where its has hot dry summers and just mildly cool winters where I could grow a garden all year long if I wanted to. Moving is just a matter of me doing it perhaps after my mom passes away and the youngest grand daughter has turned 18 and has moved off to start her own life
I ate some monkey on a stick years ago it tasted kind of like really tough pork but more like tough monkey that had been marinated in hot spices and then BBQed that was the only time I had tried it I think I have eaten way more snake and Croc/Aligator, I have eaten other things but I won't get into that.

The way Eboli is spreading I would be as carefu as I could be,  as it could easily spread all over Africa and just about anywhere else. I hope I'm wrong but I have the bad feeling that this thing could mutate and spread by air also. Too I think it is getting into the water system by all the bodies getting buried and not cremated. so the virus gets into the peoples drinking water, from wells. and run off into lakes and rivers.

Getting back on subject Some of my old pepper friends have slowly gone back to just growing peppers that are not hard to grow and can be eaten without all the heat and pain of a super hot.  I'm still in the game, but I will be growing more of the mildly hot and sweet ones over the super hots as I can use them in more recipes. AS for my rare varieties they will just be put up for trading and given out to those that want to try and preserve the wild genetic pool that is slowly shrinking.

Well I hope you have a great up and coming season.

George.

The Ebola virus is probably the reason they're posting those commercials, that's some scarey stuff there. I was NOT happy to read that it's in US, let alone Dallas, as it's just 4 hours away.

PaulG said:
Hey Lourrens.  I'll be interested to see how your 'screw in the tube' method
works for the drip nozzles.  In my experience with drippers, if you buy 12, at
least 1 or 2 are going to be screwed up somehow, usually too low of a flow.  
That adds to the cost.

Dude!  You are going to have 1000 plants in containers!?
I can't even imagine that.  I have my hands full with 50!

Good luck getting this all together, my friend.Let me know when the postal
strike is over so I can send you some powders!
Hi Paul, lol thanks! Our Postal Strike has gone from dire to worse to - I can't even describe it. I would say the South african post office is beyond recovery. It has been set fire to, looted and I think will never come right again. So I can only advise that there is no way to send regular mail to South Africa until such time as a new Post Office has been set up... and only God knows when this will be. I have resorted to sending courier only, unless I can find an alternate method. But yea it is hectic. The goverment are simply not handling the situation and now I am afraid it has just gone too far and gone on too long :) I get so angry just thinking about my $200 odd of seeds that I have lost and will not be able to grow this season. Urghhhhhh! Time for meditation ummmmmmm - happy thoughts!
wildseed57 said:
I should have a great time trying to get everything to sprout, I found that the older the seeds are the harder it is to get them to come up and then come up without having a helmet head I have found that spraying the stuck seed coat with diluted H. peroxide twice a day helps them to shead the seed coat. The waiting part can be a bummer as you can get tired and give up after a month or more and dump the soil back into some other seed tray and then have them pop up and then you play the " what is the name of this pepper" game.

I use mosquito netting and have had 90% pure seeds by bagging off whole plants or limbs,  I bleach the netting to make it let in more light if I can't find a dence white netting other than mosquito netting.

I'm not looking forward to winter as I just don't like cold snowy or Icy days, so i end up not doing anything but eating and sleeping a lot. I keep saying i need to move where its has hot dry summers and just mildly cool winters where I could grow a garden all year long if I wanted to. Moving is just a matter of me doing it perhaps after my mom passes away and the youngest grand daughter has turned 18 and has moved off to start her own life
I ate some monkey on a stick years ago it tasted kind of like really tough pork but more like tough monkey that had been marinated in hot spices and then BBQed that was the only time I had tried it I think I have eaten way more snake and Croc/Aligator, I have eaten other things but I won't get into that.

The way Eboli is spreading I would be as carefu as I could be,  as it could easily spread all over Africa and just about anywhere else. I hope I'm wrong but I have the bad feeling that this thing could mutate and spread by air also. Too I think it is getting into the water system by all the bodies getting buried and not cremated. so the virus gets into the peoples drinking water, from wells. and run off into lakes and rivers.

Getting back on subject Some of my old pepper friends have slowly gone back to just growing peppers that are not hard to grow and can be eaten without all the heat and pain of a super hot.  I'm still in the game, but I will be growing more of the mildly hot and sweet ones over the super hots as I can use them in more recipes. AS for my rare varieties they will just be put up for trading and given out to those that want to try and preserve the wild genetic pool that is slowly shrinking.

Well I hope you have a great up and coming season.

George.
Hi George, the South African goverment say they are ready and prepared for the ebola virus should it come our way :rofl: I shall have to put my faith in the powers that be and I shall focus on chillies and not worry - but if it becomes transmittable to chillies... now that would be a huge problem!!!

Nuts! Definitely no like for the Postal Orifice in SA! :crazy:  Don't they realize that after a performance like that one nobody will want to hire them? :snooty:   I looked into how much it would cost to use a commercial courier to send a small package to you and found that prices started at more than 140 USD... definitely too rich for my blood... :rolleyes:

Hopefully it'll straighten out for you soon buddy. We're pullin' for ya...

Devv said:
The Ebola virus is probably the reason they're posting those commercials, that's some scarey stuff there. I was NOT happy to read that it's in US, let alone Dallas, as it's just 4 hours away.
Hi Scott, it is a little scary. We had an ebola patient at one of our local private hospitals no more than 1km from where we lived round about 2001/2002. Patient was flown in from the Congo and miraculously survived. But the nurse that treated him got it and never made it. My aunt was in the hospital at the time for a hip operation and the hospital kept calling her to check how she was feeling... any temperature? I think the thing is, there is not much we can do about it really. Lets hope they make a cure superfast :)
stickman said:
Nuts! Definitely no like for the Postal Orifice in SA! :crazy:  Don't they realize that after a performance like that one nobody will want to hire them? :snooty:   I looked into how much it would cost to use a commercial courier to send a small package to you and found that prices started at more than 140 USD... definitely too rich for my blood... :rolleyes:

Hopefully it'll straighten out for you soon buddy. We're pullin' for ya...
Thanks Rick buddy and yea that is nuts. Thank you for the thought, but really that is hectic. But, please keep my sauce on reserve for me. I will see if I can get a parcel out to you via a private mailer who use the UK. But I need to investigate if they use the SAPO at all... tell ya, just another day in Africa. But as far as sending to SA - it is impossible!
Good news is I have some pics and will try and post some tonight. So keep em peeled - it has been a long wait!

Ok, so I started first germination on 1/7/2014. Started up old Bertha and got the ball rolling. Previous years I did the ziplock method, but this year decided to go straight into seed trays with medium. The medium this year was pretty much pure Coir. Slightly acidic - or so I read - which would aid germination.

Great results from this method. I found the Coir did exactly this. And I had much much leass on the helmet head front that I had experienced in previous years. No hassles with ziplock bags and opening and folding wet pieces of kitchen paper and then still having to plant. A more direct approach this time.

IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

Some awesome surprises. After 3 years of trying... I have this little guy - C. Galapagoense... cool (Thanks again Charles)

DSC_1711.jpg

Outside through winter the overwintered plants from last season were looking really good. We had quite a few very cold days, but all in all a pleasant winter.

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

Seedlings popping up easily and readily in the propagator.

IMG_6189.jpg

I started planting into bags around about 1st week of October. This is usually D-Day for me here in SA. But can be a little premature as we have been known to get cold snaps here even as late as October.

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

And lots more still on the back burner...

IMG_6201.jpg

This little plant above by the way is my first season. Last season with all the wet weather, we had a real battle with the PeriPeri. Did not like it one bit! It has been lovely and hot and dry so far... so lets hold thumbs.

As a sideline pet project I have been collecting PeriPeri from around Southern Africa. These are PeriPeri I collected from a place in Malawi. Tiny little pods. Hot as hell. Probably the hottest PeriPeri that I have ever had. So I am holding thumbs this closer to what PeriPeri should be :) I am hoping these little guys will yield a bounty crop!

IMG_6202.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Ok, so I started first germination on 1/7/2014. Started up old Bertha and got the ball rolling. Previous years I did the ziplock method, but this year decided to go straight into seed trays with medium. The medium this year was pretty much pure Coir. Slightly acidic - or so I read - which would aid germination.

Great results from this method. I found the Coir did exactly this. And I had much much leass on the helmet head front that I had experienced in previous years. No hassles with ziplock bags and opening and folding wet pieces of kitchen paper and then still having to plant. A more direct approach this time.

Some awesome surprises. After 3 years of trying... I have this little guy - C. Galapagoense... cool (Thanks again Charles) Awesome, Lourens!

Outside through winter the overwintered plants from last season were looking really good. We had quite a few very cold days, but all in all a pleasant winter.

Seedlings popping up easily and readily in the propagator.

I started planting into bags around about 1st week of October. This is usually D-Day for me here in SA. But can be a little premature as we have been known to get cold snaps here even as late as October.

And lots more still on the back burner...

This little plant above by the way is my first season. Last season with all the wet weather, we had a real battle with the PeriPeri. Did not like it one bit! It has been lovely and hot and dry so far... so lets hold thumbs.

As a sideline pet project I have been collecting PeriPeri from around Southern Africa. These are PeriPeri I collected from a place in Malawi. Tiny little pods. Hot as hell. Probably the hottest PeriPeri that I have ever had. So I am holding thumbs this closer to what PeriPeri should be :) I am hoping these little guys will yield a bounty crop!  Cool project!

Your off to a great start, Lourens!  I can hardly wait to see this container grow!

Glad to see the Choir worked well for you - your starts look like they are ready to roll!

Sorry to see the postal strike fiasco has messed with your seed order.  Sad situation.

Back