• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

wildseed57 said:
Hey Charles, It just wouldn't  be spring without hail, it could have been worse and had 70 mph straight line winds to go with the Hail. I get a good does every other year as we didn't get anything but frozen slosh I will have to make sure the plants are covered so that the hail won't kill out my seedling like it did a couple of years back.
The Damn stuff was as big as golf balls I had sent the girls inside when the really bad stuff hit, I took three hits on the head while pulling the tarp over them, I got a nasty cracked skull  for my troubles, but the girls learned a good lesson about playing while the hail comes down. it cost me a trip to the hospital to get my head wrapped up.
This last season for me was very disappointing pepper wise, even my sweet peppers sat there for the longest time everything else did just fine and I had lots of snow peas 14 quarts and 20 quarts of different colored snap beans and I came up with cucumber and carrot ChimChi that was loaded with onion, garlic and chopped hot peppers and smeared with last year's pepper mash I have 4 gallons of it and 6 quarts of hot garlic and onion kosher pickles that are very hot from the sliced up devil's tongues and chopped moruga.. Then I have about a half freezer full of frozen tomatoes and tomatillos My Okra and eggplants didn't give me enough to freeze up or ferment for the winter months, but I found some better types that should do much better next year. I am looking for some good bug and disease resistant eggplants that also produces well I love grilled eggplant but it seems that there is never enough of them to fill up the flea beetles and my stomach.. sadly to0 none of my squash produced anything so it looks like I will pay a premium price for them in the market. At least I ened up with a lot of frozen and fermented vegetables, now if I could just get a young bull and or a couple of goats in the freezor I would be really happy.  I ended up with just a half quart jar of blended hot pepper powder to go with the one full quart jar that was left from the two I made up last year, I also made up two quart jars filled with dried tomatoes and dried tomatillos and after my grand daughters raided my dry goods I put what was left and put in the bottom of the freezor neither one asked if I needed anything from the store which I did of if I needed my bed made or fresh sheets put on it. Oh well such is life i would rather be alive over the other choice.

Take care and have a great season

George
Hey Goerge my friend. Sounds like a turbulent year for you! But next season I am sure will have a greater chance of being a great pepper season! On the flip side, I am rubbish (er) at growing other stuff. Although saying this, Penny's tomatoes are looking good this season :)

Take care buddy ;)

Hi Lourens, I will be downsizing the garden and moving many of my peppers and veggies into large containers they will require more water but will be easier to grow in as I won't have to pull weeds and the plants will be more at my level. I told myself that I would do just a wild grow on my peppers and some Peruvian veggies to go along and fill in for plants that don't seem to grow well, but rather than let all my pepper plants die I dug a few up (14) and now have them inside for the winter 8 are wild peppers and the rest are Scorpion and 7pod varieties I also have 5 large and old house plants that I have had for many years and hate to get rid of then,  one is a dragon tree that stands at 3 meters and one other is a very spiny 2 meter tall cactus, both are too big to move by hand now,  so I have to use a dolly to move them. Altogether I have 25 or 27 plants in my house which will need additional lighting fairly soon.  If i can keep all or at least some of my peppers alive I will have a jump on most of the wilds I will be growing next year, I could really use a greenhouse, but I don't have room for one at my sister's place yet, and can't have one here at the apartments.  
I have been thinking about adding some meat rabbits to raise maybe by early summer, the trick will be to build a large and very strong cage system where they will have plenty of room and also keep the dogs from ripping the cage apart trying to get them. I probably put the cage in the garden as I have it fenced off already. the rabbits will supply extra meat and produce fertilizer for the garden and will act as a disposal for various surplus veggies.
I have had a small health set back too, which is another reason to scale back my garden, as I will need time to recover and rest some, I'm not looking forward to the hospital time and have put it off to the very last minute,  that I will have to go in as I will have to be in there at least two to three weeks with more recovery and as much rest as I can get once I'm out. 
So I guess having some extra peppers going will reduce the amount I have to grow as it will all happen about the time when I start off my seedlings, my sister and brother will come over and water and adjust the lights as needed. I plan to to get s camera to set up so that I can take a look at things while I'm in the Hospital. 

Spring can't get here soon enough and winter hasn't started yet. take care and have a great season.

George

Hey Lourens, making any progress in your pepper patch? Hopefully the danger of hail is past and things are beginning to really reach for the sun!

Ok, I'm up to date again and brother, those are some great looking babies you have going. I've never heard of the Polar Tomatoes so I'll be keeping an eye on them. Yeah, those freak storms that catch up with our pants down really suck but it looks like your coming back with a vengeance and heading towards a great grow this year.

Cheers,
Bill 

wildseed57 said:
Hi Lourens, I will be downsizing the garden and moving many of my peppers and veggies into large containers they will require more water but will be easier to grow in as I won't have to pull weeds and the plants will be more at my level. I told myself that I would do just a wild grow on my peppers and some Peruvian veggies to go along and fill in for plants that don't seem to grow well, but rather than let all my pepper plants die I dug a few up (14) and now have them inside for the winter 8 are wild peppers and the rest are Scorpion and 7pod varieties I also have 5 large and old house plants that I have had for many years and hate to get rid of then,  one is a dragon tree that stands at 3 meters and one other is a very spiny 2 meter tall cactus, both are too big to move by hand now,  so I have to use a dolly to move them. Altogether I have 25 or 27 plants in my house which will need additional lighting fairly soon.  If i can keep all or at least some of my peppers alive I will have a jump on most of the wilds I will be growing next year, I could really use a greenhouse, but I don't have room for one at my sister's place yet, and can't have one here at the apartments.  
I have been thinking about adding some meat rabbits to raise maybe by early summer, the trick will be to build a large and very strong cage system where they will have plenty of room and also keep the dogs from ripping the cage apart trying to get them. I probably put the cage in the garden as I have it fenced off already. the rabbits will supply extra meat and produce fertilizer for the garden and will act as a disposal for various surplus veggies.
I have had a small health set back too, which is another reason to scale back my garden, as I will need time to recover and rest some, I'm not looking forward to the hospital time and have put it off to the very last minute,  that I will have to go in as I will have to be in there at least two to three weeks with more recovery and as much rest as I can get once I'm out. 
So I guess having some extra peppers going will reduce the amount I have to grow as it will all happen about the time when I start off my seedlings, my sister and brother will come over and water and adjust the lights as needed. I plan to to get s camera to set up so that I can take a look at things while I'm in the Hospital. 

Spring can't get here soon enough and winter hasn't started yet. take care and have a great season.

George
Hi George, strength brother. I think I speak for all when I say we are all rooting for you when you go into hospital. It sounds like you have a great sister for taking over the watering of your chillies! What are family for? lol It is times such as these that define family. We too have been thinking about livestock. Plans have changed somewhat, but we had had plans (if we were still at the farm) to raise chickens and grow other vegetables as well. But when the land does not belong to you and you are not at liberty to just run with things, it makes it less enthusiastic I suppose. I would give my left arm to have a proper garden where we could grow things. The crazy thing is that at the farm they have all this land and rich soil and enclosures for livestock, but the owner no longer utiliises any of it. I think we can all stand up and be counted when I say that we would all unplug from the veggies and meat sold the shops... not just cost wise but also from a point of unplugging from GMO's and all the nasties introduced into our food chain by modern farming practices that are focused on making money and not eating clean wholesome food :)
Be strong buddy and keep us in the loop!
stickman said:
Hey Lourens, making any progress in your pepper patch? Hopefully the danger of hail is past and things are beginning to really reach for the sun!
Hey Buddy! Long time no speak - sorry. Things have been way too hectic and I have had to focus on making bucks with my dayjob to pay for the hobby lol I will post pics today!
RocketMan said:
Ok, I'm up to date again and brother, those are some great looking babies you have going. I've never heard of the Polar Tomatoes so I'll be keeping an eye on them. Yeah, those freak storms that catch up with our pants down really suck but it looks like your coming back with a vengeance and heading towards a great grow this year.

Cheers,
Bill 
Hey Bill, thanks for popping in buddy! The Polar Tomatoes I got from Penny and come from Canada I believe. Early season tomatoes that produce early and ripen fast. So far so true :) I will post some pics soon. Loads of tomatoes on the go this season. Its been a great season so far. I have stuffed things up a little with making my mix too rich... so yellow leaves and dropping leaves (we all know the story). But we have had lots of rain... so everything is flushed out now and looking much better! The hail was a bummer, but as you said... if it doesn't kill the plant it does make it come back with a vengeance ;) I will post some pics later today!
chilli whisperer said:
Hey Lourens,hope everything is going good there :) how's it going on your side of the country???
Hey J, we are set so far for a great season. Have scaled down considerably this year for the season. But lots of interesting things on the go. As mentioned previously, there should be plenty more varieties... but thanks to the SAPO strike it is all stuck in a 4 month pile of undelivered mail. Not sure I will ever get my seeds before 2015 lol

Yeah I will do that, I will post the day before I go in so that people will know should I fall off the grid for awhile.
With todays economy farming small animals such as rabbits can easily be done and if managed right can produce the same amount of meat over a years time as you would get from one beef animal. I don't plan to get that serious unless things go to hell in a handbag.
With what all is going on in this world it would be prudent to have a back up plan to fall back on at a moments notice.

Well we have entered a period of cold days the will make thing hard for hunting this season as I can't walk up and down the hill sides I'm out of the game there that once provided a good sum of winter meat, I have been stocking up on cangood and have frozen a good amount of veggies from this years garden.
I expect a early and a much colder winter this time around if I have to I can kick my lights up and recharge my peppers to produce in side to give me fresh peppers and with a little work I could grow more veggies if need be. Right now I'm not worried about that.

Well I will check in off and on to see how things are growing.

George

wildseed57 said:
Yeah I will do that, I will post the day before I go in so that people will know should I fall off the grid for awhile.
With todays economy farming small animals such as rabbits can easily be done and if managed right can produce the same amount of meat over a years time as you would get from one beef animal. I don't plan to get that serious unless things go to hell in a handbag.
With what all is going on in this world it would be prudent to have a back up plan to fall back on at a moments notice.

Well we have entered a period of cold days the will make thing hard for hunting this season as I can't walk up and down the hill sides I'm out of the game there that once provided a good sum of winter meat, I have been stocking up on cangood and have frozen a good amount of veggies from this years garden.
I expect a early and a much colder winter this time around if I have to I can kick my lights up and recharge my peppers to produce in side to give me fresh peppers and with a little work I could grow more veggies if need be. Right now I'm not worried about that.

Well I will check in off and on to see how things are growing.

George
Please do keep in touch with us. We will need you back real soon buddy when you go to hospital! Talking of going off the grid, I was off the grid since my last post. My graphics card blew up. So I have been without my Mac all week and only just got it back in the hour... so my promised post is coming. Sorry guys... it took a while. But I will upload tonight.

Sorry to hear that your graphics card blew up, Lourens, but glad to hear you are back in the saddle again.  
Can't wait to see how your grow is progressing, since it has come to a screeching halt here.  Postal strike still going?

Yea,as Paul says,sorry to hear about tha graphics card,but at least you're back :) and Paul,yea,our postal strike is still going,poor Lourens and I have to feel the wrath of our poor postal service :(

Back again to say hi,  I'm glad that you are up and running again, I have problems all the time with this old computer, I'm really thinking about getting a really good Laptop,  so I can just take it with me wherever I go anywhere its just a matter of coming up with enough cash to get a good one, I may buy a good used one as I want to get either a good Cam. or get set up with a good smartphone, either way it will cost me quite a bit to get everything I just have to figure out where the cash will come from.
I set up my grow table and moved most of my plants on it, but I haven't set up my lights yet as I get enough light from the south facing windows for the plants to live on, but that will change when we get a bout of snow. I did discover that three of my plants are severely infested now with aphid so I have brought out the big guns and will take care of business.  
My mom took a bad fall and is in the hospital for a few days to recover from it, so I have been running from one house to another and am just back long enough to eat something and read some of the post, then back again to let the dogs out and make sure everything is ok. Saturday and sunday we are due for some light snow and continued below freezing weather, I can't complain too much, as a lot of places are getting much worse weather than what we have now. It will be good to see how every thing is growing your way.

George

wildseed57 said:
Back again to say hi,  I'm glad that you are up and running again, I have problems all the time with this old computer, I'm really thinking about getting a really good Laptop,  so I can just take it with me wherever I go anywhere its just a matter of coming up with enough cash to get a good one, I may buy a good used one as I want to get either a good Cam. or get set up with a good smartphone, either way it will cost me quite a bit to get everything I just have to figure out where the cash will come from.
I set up my grow table and moved most of my plants on it, but I haven't set up my lights yet as I get enough light from the south facing windows for the plants to live on, but that will change when we get a bout of snow. I did discover that three of my plants are severely infested now with aphid so I have brought out the big guns and will take care of business.  
My mom took a bad fall and is in the hospital for a few days to recover from it, so I have been running from one house to another and am just back long enough to eat something and read some of the post, then back again to let the dogs out and make sure everything is ok. Saturday and sunday we are due for some light snow and continued below freezing weather, I can't complain too much, as a lot of places are getting much worse weather than what we have now. It will be good to see how every thing is growing your way.

George
Hi George, sorry to hear about your mom. I do hope she gets better soon. Sounds you could really do with less on your plate buddy - I hope these things sort themselves out and you do get some respite soon! I can't believe you are having snow and freezing weather already... it seems just yesterday that you guys were all up to the yeballs in pods and sunshine :)

It has been a weird season alright here in SA. We had no spring basically with temps going straight to summer weather over night from winter. Dry, dry, dry weather and incredibly hot for our area of SA. Joburg is usually one of the coldest spots around SA, with temps in the late 20's to early 30's. But we saw temps in the high 30's straight out of winter. Our summer rains came late, but our first rains culminated in a hail storm of gargantuan proportions as previously recorded on my glog.

Since then, the rains have come again. Cooler weather has prevailed and it would appear that last years summer weather patterns have prevailed. Mostly cooler, overcast and LOTS (TOO MUCH) rain. As it did last summer.

We also got hit by a fully fledged sandstorm the other month. A sand storm in our neck of the woods is simply odd! But it was all huge excitement - especially for the kids. That's me by the way lol

So I have been busy waterproofing bigger plants and bringing the smaller bagged plants under the safety of my balcony as at one point we had a whole week of rain. Naturally it stopped raining then. Let me tell you, it took hours to move every plant onto my terrace! Anyway, done it was and it was the right choice. But ofcourse it stopped raining the minute I took the chillies into shelter from the rain. Four days it did not rain. I looked at the weather forecast and rain was forecast but no severe storm. So I took the plants - all the plants back out into the garden again. I was concerned that the lack of wind on my terrace was preventing the moisture in the bags from drying out.

Right choice I think. I moved them all out and they had an afternoon of glorious sunshine and a beatiful breeze to blow through them.

The next day ofcourse was overcast again with reports of rain. Well, what followed yesterday was carniage. A hail storm again of gargantuan proportions. Small hail stones, but truck loads of hail that just pelted from the skies for half an hour or so. A huge thunderstorm. If it had not been fro my shade netting, it would have taken each and every plant without a doubt!

But, the shade netting saved the day. I now have to fix the shade netting. Unfortunately all the tension has gone as the metal poles have bent under the sheer weight of hail... so I need to fix the structure. The problem was that the tail end of the netting was slightly looser which caused the netting to sag and catch the hail. It was a sight for sore eyes. I was on my own with a broom trying to push the truck loads of hail stones out of the netting before the entire structure colapsed - onto the chillies below. Rain and hail pelting down... but we get serious lighting too... but for land and chilli as they say! The house got struck twice in the storm, but I had to brave the storm to get rid of the hail stones in the netting!

The structure as I say came off second best. But it did what it was upposed to do and averted direct disaster. I just hope this is it for the season! Man it has been trying! The only fatality was an overwintered Morango that had two shoots finally... buth of which were snapped off in the storm. But of all the chillies that was one of the better options to have been damaged. Although I really was looking forward to growing those this year :) Ah well... you win some, you loose some. But as a chillihead, every loss is felt deep into the heart really... I hate killing or loosing any plants!
Portuge said:
Evening Lourens, hows the weather holding up for you?
Hey buddy - read on! Lots of hectic weather patterns this side of the atlantic! :)
I am busy getting my act together and uploading some pics right now. Sorry guys, I had promised and failed to deliver! Ftsh!!

Where was I? Ok so, things were progressing nicely. Plants went through a phase were I had added too much compost and rich nutrients to the soil. Plants started going yellow and showing signs of really struggling... the flip side of all the rain is that that has helped flush out the soil. A waste, but it was the right thing.

Plants were starting to look really good I think.

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

Tomatoes too were looking good :) First tomato for the season to set pods was the Polar tomato. Irish and Ethiopian hot on the heals.

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

Bad pic sorry, but Black Prince/Black Pears doing their thing. Amazing flowers and colours on them this season.

IMG_6670.jpg

OW plants also recovering from the last hail storm. It was the OW plants that got hit by the last hail storm badly. I probably lost about 30 or more plants through the last hail storm. Plants were just starting to throw shoots when they hot nailed by that hail storm and drenched. I think a combination of being water logged and having every new shoot knocked off the plants was just tickets for many of them. But some, like this Aji Lemon were determined to have a second season!

IMG_6673.jpg

Lots on the go... side alleys, roof top terraces... front and back garden, green house - all full of chillies this season. Every nook and cranny is boing utilised!

IMG_6675.jpg

IMG_6676.jpg

Trying many different beneficial plant variations this season... seems to be helping. Bees, aphids and Ladybugs are all around :)

IMG_6678.jpg

All the plants are looking sort of like this really...

IMG_6679.jpg

Some I have planted on. Again, the Korean winner is leading the poddage fron with the chillies. That and what I call by Aji Orange which has a random pod lol

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6695.jpg

I am following the lead and topping my plants this season. So I am taking off just the top central shoot to force regrowth below and from the sides of plants.

IMG_6696.jpg

It seems to be working! Also, in the background plants are getting Seaweed pelettes and a new organic slow release fert which seems to being doing its bit. Ofcourse if the sun could come out occasionally and do its bit, rather than the rain leaching out all the nutes - I might actually start seeing some real improvements. But at this stage... progress is sluggish.

Some yellowing of the leaves with all the rain. I am removing all leaves that have yellowed or showing signs of rot.

IMG_6697.jpg

Portuge said:
Bump, well with all the rainfall your plants are looking fabulous.
Thank you James, oh I get very tempramental about them chillies and weather not doing its bit. I hope I make sufficient money this season to put money aside for my first tunnel.... hell, I would give my back teeth for the sanctuary of tunnels and never having to cuss the weather again lol

Hi Lourens the weather has since gotten even colder with the highs only 22F and the nights are hitting around  -5F. before the wind chill effect. my mom got home yesterday afternoon so things are back to near normal, so I have been very lazy today.
this coming Thursday we will get back into a warming trend for a couple of days with rain.
Here in the Missouri if you don't like the weather just wait awhile as it will surely change, Right now we're in a transition just before winter hits, I'm hoping that our weather people are wrong about just how bad our winter will be, as we need lots of rain still and could use a warmer than average winter, but they are saying that this winter may be the worst in years.
I don't care if we get lots of snow even though I feel like hell when it gets cold, but what worries me is Ice a bad Ice storm could easily disrupt power and leave me and a lot of others who are all electric with out power. The last time we got a bad Ice storm we were out of power for a week it can get really cold in a weeks time. but we have not had a bad one here for quite some time.  So yeah we get a change in weather pretty fast around here, but it beat living on the East Coast or up North.

I am now an evangelist of chopping off the tops for chillies. It is a minor set back, but for a long term benefit I believe :)

IMG_6699.jpg

wildseed57 said:
Hi Lourens the weather has since gotten even colder with the highs only 22F and the nights are hitting around  -5F. before the wind chill effect. my mom got home yesterday afternoon so things are back to near normal, so I have been very lazy today.
this coming Thursday we will get back into a warming trend for a couple of days with rain.
Here in the Missouri if you don't like the weather just wait awhile as it will surely change, Right now we're in a transition just before winter hits, I'm hoping that our weather people are wrong about just how bad our winter will be, as we need lots of rain still and could use a warmer than average winter, but they are saying that this winter may be the worst in years.
I don't care if we get lots of snow even though I feel like hell when it gets cold, but what worries me is Ice a bad Ice storm could easily disrupt power and leave me and a lot of others who are all electric with out power. The last time we got a bad Ice storm we were out of power for a week it can get really cold in a weeks time. but we have not had a bad one here for quite some time.  So yeah we get a change in weather pretty fast around here, but it beat living on the East Coast or up North.
Good news about your mom G. I hope your winter is kind on you. It's all greek to me really as we had 19C today and we were complaining how bitterly cold it was LOL We are wusses down here in the south - very thin blood I guess :)
IMG_6701.jpg

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6705.jpg

I do love how overwintered plants just kick straight into flowering though. Some plants have barely even got started on making leaves and hey... lots of flowers!

IMG_6706.jpg

Back