• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

On second thought it could also be a Red Fatalii... but man, I could swear the heat on these babies was rediculously hot... any ideas anyone?

This is the Red Fatalii I have growing at the mo... I guess the proof in the pudding will be if the pods go from orange to red.... but we wont know this for a while yet because I ate my only ripe pod :) And it was gooooood!

IMG_2232.jpg

The shoulders on the Fatalii's dont match the broad shoulders on the mystery pod... nor does it match the shoulders on the Naga Morich as they all seem to taper down from the stem... I have sent message to Grant from Jungle Rain to see if he can ID the pod... I have a lot of my seeds from him...

IMG_2116.jpg

Fishpeppers turnng fast! I have tried one or two... and I must say, they are hotter than a Jalapeno, but make a great alternative!

All my large PeriPeri as I now call them coming on in droves... loads of picking there. I will use these for the base mix for my sauce. Really juicy and fiery hot.

IMG_2117.jpg

Thai Dragon's turning red in a flurry...

IMG_2120.jpg

These are awesome. Really enjoying these. Nice burn and great taste... and this is coming from someone who previously hated Thai chillies... strawy, peppery tasteless things that they are. Good for dipping sauce.... well these are a great garnish on most dishes. My favourite is waterbiscuit, strong Port Salut Cheese, Pickled Wallnut and just a slither ontop... man that is Da Bomb!

Aw geez... you had to tack on that last comment about canapes... :drooling: Looking good as usual Laurens. Love the pics!
Not done yet lol... Have you got any ideas as to what the mystery pod could be?

Thaibo's also coming on nice. These are smaller than the Thai Dragon's, but quite a bit hotter. Pack a punch these. Oddly enough more fleshy, but like them less - go figure?

IMG_2122.jpg

Lookie lookie, Hot Pixie's just a day or two off harvesting. Still have no idea if Hot Pixies and Bishops are one and the same... but they will both make an awesome foundation for any sauce! Looking forward to these ;) Love munching on these just as they are - make for a filling snack with a bit of zing!

IMG_2127.jpg

Now these are Red Habaneros... well at least I think so lol

IMG_2136.jpg

Some of them are getting quite beeg. Tried one and it took me by surprise which saw me in the fetal position slow breathing like I was about to give birth among the Fatalii's... I guess I need more practice lol

IMG_2138.jpg

7 Pods also doing great... still getting bigger at this stage... though I see something has had a nibble at one of the pods - damn you!

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

Ok, well these are the Bishops... also turning red now... one more week should see me harvesting some - I think lol It has taken soooo long, whats another week hey?

IMG_2141.jpg

Naga Kings looking a very pale green... which is about the colour my face will be if I aet these later on lol

IMG_2142.jpg

Now this is an Indian veriety called Hong Kong... I'm intrigued as it is growing. Long stems on the pods, and large pepper sized pods.... I will keep you posted. Seems to be an interesting plant.

IMG_2144.jpg

Whoa wtf BatMon was right! Great picture updates my SA brethren, watch out for dem king cobras while picking pods :0
I always do my picking barefoot... and wading through the chillies you just never know. It's kinda frightning and exciting all at the same time lol I will have to just have faith that the Chilli Ja will protect me hey?

Oh man, I'm excited about this fella... Nagalah coming on very nicely... starting to show signs of colour!
Can't wait!

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Red Savina...

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Brainstrain looking a little bare. It went through a phase of dropping leaves, due to too much watering... but is coming right again. There are quite a few flowers on both plants... and just the smallest beginnings of pods to be seem... waiting with baited breath!

IMG_2152.jpg

Sorry Lourens... no idea what the mystery pepper might be. If it was an open pollinated plant from a chilehead it could be almost anything. It could even be a Red Habanero that's been grown in fertile bottom land during a very hot summer... ;)

Lourens, that pepper jungle is looking great. Your Red Fatalii looks alot like one I have growing that my Wonderful kids deceded it would be fun to change my sticks around on. The one I have though, seeds from Greg, Pic 1, is probably a Fatalii X Red Savina. The flavor was Fatalii but the heat seemed a bit hotter.

BTW, the pic of the Bird of Paradies you posted in Walkgood is beautiful!

Sorry Lourens... no idea what the mystery pepper might be. If it was an open pollinated plant from a chilehead it could be almost anything. It could even be a Red Habanero that's been grown in fertile bottom land during a very hot summer... ;)
Hey Stickman, all good! Thanks for the feedback. I am still awaiting feedback from Grant, I am sure he may well have an idea. Failing which I shall give it a name lol

Lourens, that pepper jungle is looking great. Your Red Fatalii looks alot like one I have growing that my Wonderful kids deceded it would be fun to change my sticks around on. The one I have though, seeds from Greg, Pic 1, is probably a Fatalii X Red Savina. The flavor was Fatalii but the heat seemed a bit hotter.

BTW, the pic of the Bird of Paradies you posted in Walkgood is beautiful!
Thanks RocketMan, the bird is beautiful. Saw it on the farm and just had to take a pic. Plent of them flowering this time of the year.

Whatever it is, it's big tasty and very hot! There is going to be plenty more pods from that plant! Will definitely plant this one again next year!

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

Love these guys... da bomb!

IMG_2155.jpg

Little Ignite is just booming with pods lol... not a big producer... but if you grow the biggest pepper - ya also got to have the smallest ones too!

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Golden Habaneros producing a plenty pods... they just keep on coming. Nice heat and great flavour.

IMG_2160.jpg

Naga Viper coming on great...

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

(Sorry) Camera was missbehaving!

IMG_2166.jpg

Ring of Fire

IMG_2169.jpg

Oops... a bump someone!

Hi HAJ - Thank you! Welcome to our forum!

This is the one all the Chilliheads are watching... me too... growth has slowed a little, but there are more pods...

IMG_2170.jpg

The Carolina Reaper

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

The Bhut Jolokia is finally podding up.... looking forward to trying this one. Have tried the Naga King... which I loved... but not tried this absolute classic chilli...

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Serrano's have started turning red... looking forward to trying these for the first time. I have it that the Serrano is actually the proper staple Mexican chilli used in mexican food. I am told the Jalapeno does not come from Mexico but is actually grown in the US? I may have been missinformed, but it sounds correct.

IMG_2193.jpg

Really sorry about the blurry pics. Will have to make a plan with another camera I think. My iphone's picture quality has gone down the drain... it's clearly been overworked and is now on strike lol

Brown Habanero.. waiting to change colour... but more pods every day... and getting bigger...

IMG_2195.jpg

Black Pearl I think look more like Black Princes... more oval than round really.

IMG_2196.jpg

Another bump please guys!

In any case, these are ready for picking... I love the way these chillies are so sexy when black and then turn red when they are ripe... I make chilli powder from these guys... its amazing... the aroma and the taste is magnificent when in powdered form.

Wow, just wow! Just caught up from last week's update and this past one. With the number of plants you have, there must be over 10,000 pods in your grow, if not double that! Chile jungle is an understatement.

Lourens great update, as usual. Love the series of plant and pepper photos. You'll be harvesting bushels of fire soon!

Wow, just wow! Just caught up from last week's update and this past one. With the number of plants you have, there must be over 10,000 pods in your grow, if not double that! Chile jungle is an understatement.
Thank you DocNrock! As I harvest the pods I am slicing, de-seeding and dicing them for the freezer. There are quite a few... I am kind of happy they are not all ripening at the same time... I wouldn't cope with cutting them all up.

I did a taste test of my first Naga Morich last night :) It amazes me how a little pepper can pack so much heat! The rush from that kept me cutting peppers into the wee hours of the morning lol

Lourens great update, as usual. Love the series of plant and pepper photos. You'll be harvesting bushels of fire soon!
Thanks Pic1! That pepper we spoke about turned orange... man was it hot. Hotter than the Naga Morich I ate the day before :) I will leave the next couple of pods on to see if the pods don't turn red.

Hi Lourens
Actually, the Jalapeno is from the area around Xalapa in Mexico... hence the name.
Hi Stickman. Thank you for the correction. You are right, the Jalapenooriginates from Xalapa (Jalapa). I think what I was trying to say was that the Jalapeno is mostly grown in the US - southern New Mexico and western Texas. And that the Serrano is a more commonly used chilli in Mexico than the Jalapeno. (so my sources tell me). I did try the Serrano last night and I can see that it is actually a very nice option to the Jalapeno. I think it is hotter and fruitier.

Amazing garden! Love the progress!
Thanks GA Growhead! It's all coming to a head now... mornings are getting a little bit cooler now... days not quite so hot anymore. But Autumn here can still see temps in the 30's during the day. May we will start seeing temps drop below freezing at night... so still a little grow time left before Mr Winter pulls into port. But hey, that means you guys will be warming up... I'm looking forward to reading some of your glogs and resting!

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

This is one plant I spotted outside that I do not recognise. It does not match any of the verieties I am growing outside. The pods seem to be going black before going red (I am presuming)... anyone able to identify this plant?

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

Looks like it could be a hybrid between a Black Pearl and PeriPeri? Generally I like it lol

Also looking for an id on these babies if anyone can... very long pods. Quite wrinkly, turning from dark green to orange and red. Indian Jawala?

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

That is the Antilaise Carribean. Pods coming on nicely.

Brown Habas

IMG_2228.jpg

Cayenne

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Bump please someone?

Hi Stickman. Thank you for the correction. You are right, the Jalapenooriginates from Xalapa (Jalapa). I think what I was trying to say was that the Jalapeno is mostly grown in the US - southern New Mexico and western Texas. And that the Serrano is a more commonly used chilli in Mexico than the Jalapeno. (so my sources tell me). I did try the Serrano last night and I can see that it is actually a very nice option to the Jalapeno. I think it is hotter and fruitier.

Hi Lourens
Definitely hotter, and fruitier, especially when you let them get red-ripe. That's what I did last year, and I used quite a few of them to make a peach-serrano jam that was well-received everywhere I took it. So many people wanted it that I sold a case and a half of pint jars.

Also looking for an id on these babies if anyone can... very long pods. Quite wrinkly, turning from dark green to orange and red. Indian Jawala?

That would be my vote also. I planted them last year and ended up giving them away because I didn't have room for them. The guy I gave them to let me pick a hatful, and when I tried them I found they were even hotter than Cayennes.
Bump
Respect mon... I be lovin' your chile jungle!

Thanks Stickman! You brothas be makin me all irie mon! Peach-Serrano Jam... yum! Great Idea... need to experiment more with the harvest!

Yellow Fatalii's more and more pods on every bush...

IMG_2274.jpg

These were growing amongst the Red Habs also... look a bit like Lanterns?

IMG_2269.jpg

Back