• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Great growlog you have here. It's going to be sad seeing things come to an end. You should look in to the hoop house thing, I'm thinking of doing it at the end of my season. Our winters don't get as cold as yours, but you might still be able to keep them warm enough to survive.

Either way, what an amazing grow. You should definitely try to overwinter that reaper. Mine haven't put out pods yet, so I'm hoping they come out true like yours.

Great growlog you have here. It's going to be sad seeing things come to an end. You should look in to the hoop house thing, I'm thinking of doing it at the end of my season. Our winters don't get as cold as yours, but you might still be able to keep them warm enough to survive.

Either way, what an amazing grow. You should definitely try to overwinter that reaper. Mine haven't put out pods yet, so I'm hoping they come out true like yours.
Hi StupidJerk. Thanks for your feedback. I think I may have to... not sure I will have the space or the ability to keep them all cosy this winter indoors! Reaper is coming in for certain... I just wish I could save them all lol

Still looking good Lourens! Serious update! Really enjoy seeing that amazing selection of peppers!
I just overwintered my first peppers and they made it.
I pulled mine and cut back roots and the plants, and gave them some time to start getting new growth again before they sat in the cold garage thru winter. There is a really good OWing thread on here somewhere.
Definitely save the reapers!

Still looking good Lourens! Serious update! Really enjoy seeing that amazing selection of peppers!
I just overwintered my first peppers and they made it.
I pulled mine and cut back roots and the plants, and gave them some time to start getting new growth again before they sat in the cold garage thru winter. There is a really good OWing thread on here somewhere.
Definitely save the reapers!
Hi GA Growhead! Well done mate, it scares the creepers out of me having to overwinter my plants. I think truth be told what scares me most is them damn pots lol I have not ever been lucky with growing things in pots... I think I know the thread - I will be following it to the letter!

Ditto on the pots. Never had much luck growing anything in pots. Did better last year, but ended up underfeeding. Trying do better this year, with feed the soil, not the plants as my objective.

Man that is sooo damn tricky. You just want to water and its such a difficult thing to get it right! Going to keep me busy this winter!

Did a batch more taste tests yesterday :D

I fell into a burning ring of fire
I went down, down, down and the flames went higher
And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire
The ring of fire

And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire
The ring of fire
The ring of fire
The ring of fire

The A track of any chillihead... we salute you Johnny :D

Hello Lourens,

Great updates! I needed that bit of inspiration to keep up with my own chilies! hehe

All the seeds I got from you popped up already! I planted 3 of each variety, and only one of the Mozambique Peri Peri was to shy to pop up through the dirt. Lost one of the Fatalis as it dried out when I was away for 2 days (grrr.. what kind of a responsible chilihead am I?? Hope they don't send me to jail for that abuse!!).

I love watching your videos. Gives me some ideas of what to grow for next year. I will keep you updated on all the differences I find amongst the Peri Peri peppers. So far, they are fairly quick growers. Fatali is a bit slower - hopefully I can get some pods this year still. My growing season is definitely over in early September.

Your logo looks really good! Simple, memorable and in one quick glance it is easy to understand what it represents. Important qualities to have in a logo, in my opinion.

By your descriptions, I think I will have to order some Naga King seeds and some Hong Kong when I order from you later this year, and have my eye on a few others as well. It seems never enough...

lol Hello Rui... I am going into a wintry slumber... it's you guy's turn now lol

I will be going to the farm this weekend... so updates will follow! Weather here has become quite wintry. 19ºC here today... brrrrrr - you must know that is blooming freezing for us here. Our homes are built to keep the heat out - not in lol!

How are the Fatalii's & PeriPeri's coming along?

Oh... I have been designing my logo.... I have decided to go with Chillihead... seems kind of apt ;)

comingsoon.png

I'm hoping you guys will like it... cause I ain't changing it :stop:

Hello Lourens,

Great updates! I needed that bit of inspiration to keep up with my own chilies! hehe

All the seeds I got from you popped up already! I planted 3 of each variety, and only one of the Mozambique Peri Peri was to shy to pop up through the dirt. Lost one of the Fatalis as it dried out when I was away for 2 days (grrr.. what kind of a responsible chilihead am I?? Hope they don't send me to jail for that abuse!!).

I love watching your videos. Gives me some ideas of what to grow for next year. I will keep you updated on all the differences I find amongst the Peri Peri peppers. So far, they are fairly quick growers. Fatali is a bit slower - hopefully I can get some pods this year still. My growing season is definitely over in early September.

Your logo looks really good! Simple, memorable and in one quick glance it is easy to understand what it represents. Important qualities to have in a logo, in my opinion.

By your descriptions, I think I will have to order some Naga King seeds and some Hong Kong when I order from you later this year, and have my eye on a few others as well. It seems never enough...
Hi Rui, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad seeds are working for you. All too often one buys seeds and they just do nothing. They are all good growers and great producers. That's africa right there in your selection. I will be getting Zimbabwe PeriPeri's in later this month. Straight from Zimbabwe... I am also keen to find out why the net is so focused on the Zim PeriPeri when actually the Mozambique PeriPeri is the real macoy! Anyway... I don't think there will be all that much difference, but who knows... Thanks for your feedback on the logo, it took me a while to come up with the concept... and I am still adjusting to it... but I think I like it too.

I should be going live soon. I am now getting some of the tail enders in... so I am hoping in a month I will go live with my site!

Howdie

Reapers are still producing. I decided to leave the plants out still for this week. Lows are still hovering around the 10ºc for night time... so I will probably reserve next weekend to start bringing the specials in.

So I spent last weekend bringing in as much of the harvest as I could. Still didn't manage. Those Bishops and Baby Belles are just dripping with pods... just too many to pick unfortunately!

So the rest of the week was spent making sauce and salsa. But more of that later...

IMG_3039.jpg

Still waiting for the JonahxButchT, Peach Long, ButchT & Yellow Scorp x Bhut to change colour...

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

Looks like the ButchT is going to change colour soon :D

I'm leaning towards a Yellow ScorpxBhut on this plant. The other choice is a Devils White... but I think the pods on that wpould have been lighter.... still waiting for that final colour to give me the confirmation I need... why oh why do some of these pods change colour so slow!

IMG_3051.jpg

Lourens,
Its difficult to tell that your seasons winding down, the plants are still podding up and full of leaves. Your "Reapers" are some of the best that have been displayed here.

By the looks of it those Butch T's strike me of possibly having thick walls. Have you cut any open yet ?

It's been a great season for you, I'm looking forward to see what happens in your kitchen after the final harvest...

Lourens,
Its difficult to tell that your seasons winding down, the plants are still podding up and full of leaves. Your "Reapers" are some of the best that have been displayed here.

By the looks of it those Butch T's strike me of possibly having thick walls. Have you cut any open yet ?

It's been a great season for you, I'm looking forward to see what happens in your kitchen after the final harvest...
Hey Pic1.

Thank you, I have to say - the Reapers were touch and go at first and it has been a long wait... but all in all, they have been good little plants and plants that are right at the top of my list for taking indoor.

Hmmm, yes - I also think those ButchT's look like they have thick walls... not too sure what they should be, but they certainly look that way. Unless ofcourse they are something else lol Which would not be unusual for me lol

It has been a good season and I will make sure to post some pics of what is happening in the kitchen... just a taste tester for you :D

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

:D it's going to be hot!

This batch was just mainly supers... Carolina Reaper, ButchTxBhut, Fatalii, Nagalah, Naga King, Naga Morich, Brainstrain, Naga Viper and a few red Habas pods just for good measure... the colour looks very inviting, but the sign says otherwise lol

Actually, the burn was not at all what I expected, so I made another batch just as salsa. I would like to experiment and see if cooking does not actually dampen the heat. I seem to think that raw chopped pods in a salsa are much hotter... time will tell!

Lourens dat skull & crossbones looks killer, but blue … why not red, lols ;)

I would love to taste your sauce, too bad I’m so far away :/ I’m betting it goes great on all your favorite foodies, awesome job brethren! I agree with you on pods & cooking, while they are great in all foods, there is nothing like eating fresh pods! Now it’s your turn in the kitchen, before you were too busy with that huge grow of yours and now we’re counting on you. We will need daily if not bi-daily updates with pictures of what’s going on with all dem tons of peppers you’ve so painstakingly harvested. Don’t let the ball drop, part of what inspired me to post many foodies in my glog was your frequent visits and drooling, now it’s my turn to drool :D

Have a great week Mon!

Back