• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

stickman said:
Nice pics of the chiles winding down Lourens. It looks like there's still plenty of heat coming out of your garden!

It's finally warming up here pretty well, but as usual we've been getting strong wind when that happens. I took down the hoophouses so I've gotta stake up the chiles and eggplant. Cheers!
Hi Rick. Thanks! Yea, still got some hot pods for the taking. I will need to focus more on the sauce making now. Got some great batches of Hot Sauce and Salsa on the go. Tonight I am going to do some catching up on glogs... once the kids are asleep! Yesterday I just crashed... been a busy week.

WalkGood said:
A whole lot of great fire and great pods left in your garden Lourens, thanks for sharing dem pics! In the end will you leave any plants in the ground, I’m curious to see how they fair … Have a great weekend ^_^

Thank you Ramon! I will have to leave plants in the ground for sure. I am bagging and taking as many special plants indoors as I can. But most will have to stay in the ground. I know many will survive, but I'll be interested to see which others make it for sure. Another month here and I will be going for it again lol OMG I must be mad!

You too!

DocNrock said:
Great photos, man.  You have had a banner season, that is for sure.  Happy to see you still have pods coming. 
Hey Doc, thanks... I am harvesting all the pods I can. When I go tomorrow, I will have to take more indoors. Frost is imminent any day now... but the ones I have taken indoors are doing exceptionally well.

So these are the chillies I bagged and brought indoors...

Scotch Bonnet Peach Long looking mighty big and delicious!

IMG_3122.jpg

The ButchT's are looking big and ripening fast and furious.

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

This plant I was not too sure, but I believe this is the Cardi Scorp Yellow X Bhut...

IMG_3126.jpg

Great pictorial update peri!! Bahamian goat is just the best isnt it!! Great producer to boot. Whats the background on the nagakings?? You have some great varieties there. Best of luck with the ripening process. Keep on growing!!

Really got my eye on those babies... man, they are going to burn lol

ButchT x Jonah... gnarly looking pods!

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

Trippa said:
Great pictorial update peri!! Bahamian goat is just the best isnt it!! Great producer to boot. Whats the background on the nagakings?? You have some great varieties there. Best of luck with the ripening process. Keep on growing!!
Hey Trippa. Thanks! Actually a lot of my seeds are from Grant. He's really got some crazy stuff going on in his garden. The Naga King seeds I got from a mate here in SA. They are absolutely the best! They are very hot, very tasty and that burn just goes on for ever. The stuff real dreams are made of! Hows it going down under? You must be going into winter too now?

Those Bahamian Goats rock for sure!

meatfreak said:
That's still a fine collection of pods you got hanging on your plants, I hope they ripe off in time for you!
Thank you Stefan, it's getting there... I will make a plan! Quite a few of my plants were planted way too late. I had a batch of seeds that went a miss... and I desperately wanted them to be on the grow list. Optimistic but silly :)

WalkGood said:
Still kicking azz I see Lourens, lover da look of that Scotch Bonnet Peach ^_^
:) Thank you my friend!

Man that Butch T Jonah cross looks like it is from another planet--the planet gnarl! I don't know if I would even want to bite into that one, because I'm pretty sure it will bite back even harder.

Everything is looking great, as always!

Stefan_W said:
Man that Butch T Jonah cross looks like it is from another planet--the planet gnarl! I don't know if I would even want to bite into that one, because I'm pretty sure it will bite back even harder.

Everything is looking great, as always!
Hi Stefan, Thanks for popping in! Yea, I hate to say but that taste test is just a day or so away :D

I suspect that taste test is going to burn more than once!

GA Growhead said:
+1 bumpy/rough looking butch T = pain for sure!
I tried the ButchT about a year ago. It was the worst burn I had ever experienced. I also tried the Jonah. It was tasty and hot as hell with a burn to boot. But the drool was just unbelievable. If logic hold true in this instance, this chilli will burn like hell and the drool with be uncontrollable... lol - lets see :D

:dance: :dance: :dance:  A big thanks to Stickman for sending 'ol PeriPeri some Chilli and Tomato seeds. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unfortunately many things get lost in transit in the South African postal system. But they have arrived... hooray!

This warms the cockles of my wintery heart! Man am I excited to get going on these.

We have Cherokee Purple Tomato, Tomatillo, Sun Gold Tomato Cherry, Krimzon Lee & Korea Winner seeds...

Thanks Stickman!

Looks like you had a productive season! That purple tiger is a beauty. The jonah x butch looks like more of a beast, in the best possible way!

Lourens, I’ve thought long and hard ~_^ and have finally come up with a mascot and slogan for your glog.

The Eveready Bunny holding a pepper … just when you think your grow is over it keeps going and going, hahahah!

15xu7av.jpg

Peptacular said:
Looks like you had a productive season! That purple tiger is a beauty. The jonah x butch looks like more of a beast, in the best possible way!
Thank you Peptacular. This season has been an amazing journey filled with trials and tribulations. I have just done a taste test of the ButchT and suddenly it does not seem all that wintry here anymore lol

WalkGood said:
Lourens, I’ve thought long and hard ~_^ and have finally come up with a mascot and slogan for your glog.

The Eveready Bunny holding a pepper … just when you think your grow is over it keeps going and going, hahahah!

15xu7av.jpg

LOL Ramon - thanks man... that is true! I keep thinking, this must be it now... and then there is more lol... been going since August last year.... hell - I'm not complaining, but I do need a break lol

PeriPeri said:
... ... LOL Ramon - thanks man... that is true! I keep thinking, this must be it now... and then there is more lol... been going since August last year.... hell - I'm not complaining, but I do need a break lol
Ride the wave my SA brethren you deserve it and keep dem great pod pics coming ^_^

Hi Lourens,

Congrats on a fantastic grow! This blog has been a huge inspiration for me. I haven't been commenting, because it took me until today to finally catch up. But what a great resource you have provided, both for the idiosyncrasies of some growing challenges and for details of some pretty exotic varieties. My only concern is that I still don't know what to do if my garden gets infested with monkeys - at least I know to watch out for them after the pods start to color.

I hope you get some rest before your 2013 grow kicks in.

Cheers,

Stephen

landracer said:
Hi Lourens,

Congrats on a fantastic grow! This blog has been a huge inspiration for me. I haven't been commenting, because it took me until today to finally catch up. But what a great resource you have provided, both for the idiosyncrasies of some growing challenges and for details of some pretty exotic varieties. My only concern is that I still don't know what to do if my garden gets infested with monkeys - at least I know to watch out for them after the pods start to color.

I hope you get some rest before your 2013 grow kicks in.

Cheers,

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that my trials and tribulations have been of value to you - this does make it all worth it... and of course the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. lol aah yes the Monkeys... other than growing in abundance and sharing the spoils with these cunning looters, I am afraid that I have not come up with a better plan. I can only advise keeping chillies in an enclosure or growing them in another corner of the world where monkeys are not a problem ;) I can confirm though that our Vervet Monkeys have a tolerance for chillies up to about 10,000 SHU... they seem to learn that they do not like hotter (thank goodness!!)

I am still busy making sauces and getting my seeds ready for sale, but things have slowed to a more comfortable pace. 2013 will begin end of June :shocked: ... which is just around the corner OMG!
 lol

Hi Lourens
   I've been pretty busy the last few weeks, finally catching up on my buddies glogs. Glad you got the seeds OK. I hope you enjoy them! Definitely grow them in Monkey-proof enclosures or the little perishers will rob you blind. Especially the tomatoes! Stake them up well too. All the tomatoes are indeterminate, which means they aren't self-limiting in their growth habit. Don't let them get too bushy either... leave the flower bracts alone, but pinch off the side branching at the nodes as they grow or you'll have a sprawling plant that'll easily take up a meter or more of space on the ground with lots of foliage and few tomatoes. The Sungold cherry tomatoes are particularly vigorous growers... if you pinch off the side shoots it'll easily grow to well over 2 meters and provide lots of sweet little orange tomatoes that you'll want to eat by the handful. Cut them in half and they'll dry well in a dehydrator too.

Wow Lourens, you are definitely the man,  after all this time your plants are still putting out. and that Butch T X Jonah is just to crazy, have all the pods been that narly all summer for you?
Then gallons and gallons of hot sauce cooking up on your stove and still your plants are still producing,  just too much man!
It will be interesting to see which peppers make it through your winter and how well they produce next season for you.

stickman said:
Hi Lourens
   I've been pretty busy the last few weeks, finally catching up on my buddies glogs. Glad you got the seeds OK. I hope you enjoy them! Definitely grow them in Monkey-proof enclosures or the little perishers will rob you blind. Especially the tomatoes! Stake them up well too. All the tomatoes are indeterminate, which means they aren't self-limiting in their growth habit. Don't let them get too bushy either... leave the flower bracts alone, but pinch off the side branching at the nodes as they grow or you'll have a sprawling plant that'll easily take up a meter or more of space on the ground with lots of foliage and few tomatoes. The Sungold cherry tomatoes are particularly vigorous growers... if you pinch off the side shoots it'll easily grow to well over 2 meters and provide lots of sweet little orange tomatoes that you'll want to eat by the handful. Cut them in half and they'll dry well in a dehydrator too.
Thanks Stickman.... Uber excited to get going on your seeds my friend! I too have been bogged down with work... and now have just found out there is a chilli festival in Johannesburg 6 - 9th June! So I am now on turbo mode to get the website ready and facebook and and and.... wish me luck. This will be the platform to launch the business!

I will keep you posted!

wildseed57 said:
Wow Lourens, you are definitely the man,  after all this time your plants are still putting out. and that Butch T X Jonah is just to crazy, have all the pods been that narly all summer for you?
Then gallons and gallons of hot sauce cooking up on your stove and still your plants are still producing,  just too much man!
It will be interesting to see which peppers make it through your winter and how well they produce next season for you.
Hey Wildseed57, thanks man... been a long season for sure. Our Autumn has been longer than usual and the frost is holding off for now! Good news... so I am still pulling pods. The ButchT x Jonah is indoors now and actually lots of them have been brought indoors... and have done amazingly well with having been transplanted.

I am holding my breath to see which will make it. Occasionally we get black frost here and that means tickets for all... but lets hold thumbs. I know the thicker varieties such as the peppers, bishops, jalapenos, belle peppers, thai etc make it through winter. I was surprised to see the Serrano are not happy with the colder weather... showing definite signs of dying. Anyway, can't save them all!

I am posting the latest Taste Test... the ButchTxJonah... I have to say this chilli is one of the hottest I have tried. I thought I would drool more, but it was pretty dang hot... up there with the big guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDh1ckV4T-4&feature=youtu.be

Back