• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Peruvian Food

BrianS said:
There you go! If I were single like you I would be trying to impress a Senorita de Argentina!;)
Well I'm not really single, but ok. :shocked:
BrianS said:
No its not the same. I have seen what you are talking about ;). Not sure what its called but I have seen it. If you look real close in the cebeche pic I posted you will see it. Its that dark green stuff
W... wait! you're talking about that brown stuff on the plate? that's not a seaweed! that's a red algae!
The one in the picture looks like Chondracanthus Chamissoi... which is local in Peru. if you're not talking about the red algae, I have no idea what kind of weird seaweed they use.

BTW, Lluyo is a place.

Oh red algea! They sell that at the local gas station.........;)

I would love to travel there someday and try the food. Thanks for sharing brian!

There's a guy here who "harvests" red algae here, just different types.
So that's your secret ingredient? I think it's quite easy growing some yourself. while we're at it, you can grow your own salt water fish. cheaper than buying them and always fresh.

Growing your own salt water fish....is easy......

OK, I'll bite! So you have a huge saltwater aquarium Omri??

I fantasize about having a gigantic cold saltwater swimming pool under my house to grow snowcrab someday, maybe I'll have another one to grow some Aji Tuna!;)

cheezydemon said:
Growing your own salt water fish....is easy......

OK, I'll bite! So you have a huge saltwater aquarium Omri??

I fantasize about having a gigantic cold saltwater swimming pool under my house to grow snowcrab someday, maybe I'll have another one to grow some Aji Tuna!;)
Had a fresh water tank once. :)
It is easy, though. you don't need to be really "humane" as you're going to eat them eventually, unlike pet fish.

Lol!
"It's OK to eat fish, cause they don't have any feelings"

-KURT COBAIN

;)

I hear you! I seriously would love to grow some snowcrabs though. They are scavengers. You could just have a chute that dumps all of your table scraps into the crab pool!

Sorry Brian, we are not trying to jack the thread. We are trying to help you!:)

I flew into Iquitos, Peru in 94, then went down the Rio Negro 150 miles. At one camp they made pan fried Piranha, it tasted just like a bag of fritos.

My guide Juan, who spoke five languages told this joke:

Juan: what do you call a guy who speaks three languages?

Me: trilingual

Juan: what do you call a guy who speaks two languages?

Me: bilingual

Juan: what do you call a guy who speaks one language?

Me: monolingual?

Juan: American

eyepee said:
I flew into Iquitos, Peru in 94, then went down the Rio Negro 150 miles. At one camp they made pan fried Piranha, it tasted just like a bag of fritos.
Lucky You!!
I have never been to Iquitos (yet) but I would really like to!

I know this is getting off topic but I can resist showing you some pics I took when in the Andes Mtns

This when you first start to go into the Mtns. Its a desert that is so dry it makes Arizona look like jungle LOL

This is furthur up into the Mtns

neat pictures brian, its always nice to see other parts of the world even if only in pictures (if you cant afford to go there)

GrumpyBear said:
i've always wanted to go to the guinea pig festival

really. have you always wanted to do this since you were a little kid ? :P
it'd be interesting, sounds like they'd taste good also.

Many of the little towns and villages in the mtns have an anual cuy (guinea pig) festival. I have tried and while it is pretty good, there isnt much meat on a cuy. To me there are much better things to eat when in Peru such as cebiche or even anticuchos de corazon

Back