• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter's 2016 Grow

I'm still working out my grow list, and will start most of my seeds in a couple weeks. I have started a few early, and have some growing in hydro and potting mix. Here are four over winters from this past year; 7-Pot Rennie Chocolate, Devil's Heart, Bahamian Goat and Peach Bhut.

qPfZvFul.jpg

Most recent pic of my hydro setup. Maxibloom nutes under 400 watt CMH. I'm going to probably switch to Masterblend/Calcium Nitrate/Epsom Salt blend at some point when the Maxi runs out. This is mostly for starting, I'm going to setup 2 buckets with one plant each that I'll try to grow out larger.

There's a mix of BBM, Caramel Moruga, Jamacian Hot Choc., Hot Fingers and Large Orange Thai currently.

pxYvYpXl.jpg

Here're two that I took out recently and transplanted to potting mix.

The one on the left is Caramel Moruga Scorpion, and other is Jamaican Hot Chocolate. The JHC is about a week behind the C. Moruga.

vYFO3sHl.jpg

The C. Moruga is in a Rapid Rooter plug
9uYU0qVl.jpg

The J. Hot Choc. is in rock wool.
t2kYlUGl.jpg

After transplant.
J9g1RCrl.jpg

Here're a couple that'll go into the hydro bucket soon. These are growing under my cheap Wal-mart LED bulbs. They seem to work well for the sprouts.

Genghis Khan's Brain
s9ZzeFDl.jpg

Peach Bhut
qCC02Bhl.jpg

So far what I've started and/or have germinating as of now is:
Big Black Mama
Caramel Moruga Scorpion
Jamaican Hot Choc.
Hot Fingers
Large Orange Thai
Peach Bhut
Genghis Khan's Brain
Superhot Beast
Trinidad Hornet
Monkey Nipples
Sarit Gat
Choc BrainStrain
Apocalypse Scorpion
Reaper
Orange Thai SSE
Unknown Reaper X
I Scream Scorpion
Butch T Scorpion
Chocolate Primo Reaper
BTR Scorpion
Sugar Rush Peach
Mayan Love Pepper
MA Wartyx Variant
Kraken Scorpion
Bhut Assam

Oh, I got this the other day too, to help monitor the nutes. I didn't realize how big this thing was until I got it. From seeing product pics, I thought it would be ink pen size. I like it a lot.

VxnUtQql.jpg

Peter just interested to know was the recycled soil mostly free from any hidden bugs I suppose the drying out of the medium helped. I have a few containers which I hope to use in a tomato raised bed ... thanks for the video

I did something similar, I put all the old soil into raised beds for this year. I chucked in grass cuttings and leaves and gave it a mix during autumn. I'll top them up with some new sail and slow release ferts later when I plant things in there. I'm glad I'm not the only person reusing the sail, it seems like such a waste getting new every year, not to mention expensive. 

Trident chilli said:
Peter just interested to know was the recycled soil mostly free from any hidden bugs I suppose the drying out of the medium helped. I have a few containers which I hope to use in a tomato raised bed ... thanks for the video

Since it was outside all this time, I'm really not sure. I wouldn't trust using it for any indoor plants for that reason. I feel safe enough though using it for outdoor containers since they probably would have the same bugs around anyway. My rule of thumb is if it's been outside, it's not coming inside. If I'm bringing in plants for overwinters I now go the nuclear option. I'll prune stems, leaves and roots, spray off entire plant several times, soak entire plant in soap solution, repot in clean mix, etc... Aphids suck. :)

You know, even using fresh potting mix I have wound up with aphids and mites somewhere along the way before dirt day (indoor grow).

So you never know where the buggers come from. Just gotta watch for them and take quick action.

A few quick updates. Been too busy to post much.

Bhut Assam in a my low-pressure aeroponics/soakaponics setup. I have a time-lapse going on it now. In a couple weeks I'll post it.
sEpNA8vl.jpg

Same plant about four days earlier.
ptuOciyl.jpg

Kratky Carbonero
kRVbgKrl.jpg

Jay's Ghost Peach Scorpion
kSXJaItl.jpg

Some still in the coffee can water culture system
j7PUdsOl.jpg

Sarit Gat
gbNodHrl.jpg

8DRIiQPl.jpg

Growdown Serlano
ExakavAl.jpg

Malarky said:
interested in your mega kratky plans
I'm working out plans for two, one in a 32 gal can and the other in a 45 gallon. I'm looking at putting the BBM that is current in the 5 gal DWC into the 45 gal setup and outside full time. I'll post updates here and on YouTube as it happens.

Here're a few pics I took this morning. My hydro area is getting a little overgrown. I need to move plants out of the coffee container and multi-site systems soon.

My aeroponics Bhut Assam is still growing and looking good.
Bn93FQTl.jpg

Coffee container water culture. The largest one in the back is a RRC-420 Moruga Scorpion. The next biggest one is a Bhutlah Brown SLP. There is a Chocolate Primo Reaper in there too but it's hard to see it.
j7PUdsOl.jpg

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion in the gel pac container. I wish I had a sight glass on this, it's starting to suck up nutrients pretty fast now.
nNLMQi4l.jpg

Kratky Carbonero
dm5pqBGl.jpg

Here's a quick update. I started planting out today. Didn't get as many as I hoped done, only five. I might need to take a day off work next week to finish it up. I was a little concerned about my slow release ferts. The Southern Ag guy said it was the same as the 14-14-14 Osmocote that I wanted. It's Anderson's brand, was way cheaper, like 25.00 for 50 lbs. But when I cut it open today it's obviously not, or at least looks nothing like the Osmocote. The specs are pretty much the same, as far as NPK and release rate. This does have some minor elements not in Osmocote that aren't a bad thing. The bag description reads like its mostly for turf fertilization. It says it's for professional horticulture. The application rates are for spreading over a lawn. There is a mention that it can be used in growing media? But then it goes to say they won't give application rates for that because different plants need different amounts, blah, blah, etc... I looked up the Osmocote rates and followed that. I'm using 1 Tbsp per 2 gallons of mix. Just hope I don't screw my plants up. In theory it should be fine, I just can't find an info on it either way. It's not a retail product, so there's nothing online about it, just msds and copies of what's already on the bag. Today I was mixing it with the bottom half of the mix. For the others, or some of the others, I might mix in the top few inches only, in case it's bad for them and I can pull it out.

Bag front
EWB60Twl.jpg

What it looks like
sjU8kHAl.jpg

These are the ones I planted today, in ten gallon poly bags.
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion, Naga Morich, MA Wartyx Variant, 7-Pot Primo and Lightning Mustard Hab
DDNDkyQl.jpg

1B3Ckezl.jpg

These guys are in queue
gKyuotRl.jpg

My Kratky Carbonero
YHMcEUBl.jpg

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, RRC-420
ZcA4y0Fl.jpg

Aji Pineapple
Q3aakgfl.jpg

Here's my container mix for peppers that I'm using again this year. It's a 1 cf bag of Fafard 3Bf, 1 cf of composted manure and some perlite. I'll add the mix to the container before mixing in the ferts. Next year, instead of use slow release ferts, I plan to feed with hydroponic nutrients through my drip system.

Here's a quick update on my Kratky Carbonero experiment. So far it's doing well. The roots are taking off, getting a lot of growth now. The plant is almost two feet tall.

https://youtu.be/OLuKlkr4E5c

Back