• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter's 2016 Grow

I'm still working out my grow list, and will start most of my seeds in a couple weeks. I have started a few early, and have some growing in hydro and potting mix. Here are four over winters from this past year; 7-Pot Rennie Chocolate, Devil's Heart, Bahamian Goat and Peach Bhut.

qPfZvFul.jpg

Most recent pic of my hydro setup. Maxibloom nutes under 400 watt CMH. I'm going to probably switch to Masterblend/Calcium Nitrate/Epsom Salt blend at some point when the Maxi runs out. This is mostly for starting, I'm going to setup 2 buckets with one plant each that I'll try to grow out larger.

There's a mix of BBM, Caramel Moruga, Jamacian Hot Choc., Hot Fingers and Large Orange Thai currently.

pxYvYpXl.jpg

Here're two that I took out recently and transplanted to potting mix.

The one on the left is Caramel Moruga Scorpion, and other is Jamaican Hot Chocolate. The JHC is about a week behind the C. Moruga.

vYFO3sHl.jpg

The C. Moruga is in a Rapid Rooter plug
9uYU0qVl.jpg

The J. Hot Choc. is in rock wool.
t2kYlUGl.jpg

After transplant.
J9g1RCrl.jpg

Here're a couple that'll go into the hydro bucket soon. These are growing under my cheap Wal-mart LED bulbs. They seem to work well for the sprouts.

Genghis Khan's Brain
s9ZzeFDl.jpg

Peach Bhut
qCC02Bhl.jpg

So far what I've started and/or have germinating as of now is:
Big Black Mama
Caramel Moruga Scorpion
Jamaican Hot Choc.
Hot Fingers
Large Orange Thai
Peach Bhut
Genghis Khan's Brain
Superhot Beast
Trinidad Hornet
Monkey Nipples
Sarit Gat
Choc BrainStrain
Apocalypse Scorpion
Reaper
Orange Thai SSE
Unknown Reaper X
I Scream Scorpion
Butch T Scorpion
Chocolate Primo Reaper
BTR Scorpion
Sugar Rush Peach
Mayan Love Pepper
MA Wartyx Variant
Kraken Scorpion
Bhut Assam

Oh, I got this the other day too, to help monitor the nutes. I didn't realize how big this thing was until I got it. From seeing product pics, I thought it would be ink pen size. I like it a lot.

VxnUtQql.jpg

Peter S said:
Here's my container mix for peppers that I'm using again this year. It's a 1 cf bag of Fafard 3Bf, 1 cf of composted manure and some perlite. I'll add the mix to the container before mixing in the ferts. Next year, instead of use slow release ferts, I plan to feed with hydroponic nutrients through my drip system.
so a 1:1 ratio of fafard3bf to manure...how much perlite was that? 4-5 gallons?
awesome videos btw

Malarky said:
so a 1:1 ratio of fafard3bf to manure...how much perlite was that? 4-5 gallons?
awesome videos btw
Not sure exactly on the perlite. It was two plastic pails. I'll get measurements and post back. It's probably about a gallon total of perlite. Thanks for watching my videos. The whole batch yields close to 30 gallons of mix.

Edit: I checked, it's a 5 quart pail. Two of them is 2.5 gallons. The Fafard 3B has some perlite in it, but the extra is mostly just to account for the manure compost.

Edit2: As far as amount goes, I think it depends on how much drainage you want. I think it would need at least 1 1/2 gallon minimum though with the manure added.

I bought an Aerogarden Bounty Elite. There was a special that included a free Sprout. I have this running at work now. Right now it just has the herb kit that came with it

BamfLaOl.jpg

I'm not sure yet what to start out with in the bigger one. Here're some pics though.

ND49cpPl.jpg

Ru0qf9tl.jpg

Eg7rEcbl.jpg

zc7XAWKl.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Cool looking unit, $400 price tag Reg, guess if you can afford it :)
It was on sale, total was 302 and the Sprout was free. Still a lot of money though. Didn't want to spend that much but got caught up in the moment when I saw the sale and I've been wanting one forever. I'd been holding out for a year or so hoping to find one real cheap at a goodwill or eBay but never did. Still on lookout for another if I find real cheap, can add to my collection.

Devv said:
Dang! That's a ton of plants!

And they all look great!

Glutten for punishment? Cuz you will be working :onfire:
Thanks! Yeah, I decided to cut back a little, maybe by 10 or 12 plants cause I really don't need so many. I figured I've at least one of everything I'm growing that should be more than plenty. Still have a few small ones I need to get in hydro soon though, namely my Peruvian Serlano for the Growdown, Yellow Chiltepin and some Thai Dragon. Working on a few self watering containers, and possible mega Kratky projects too. Just trying to juggle time. I've really let my yard go, and probably work on that all day today if it doesn't rain.

A couple more videos I just made. I'm overdue for some general pics though. Will try to get some up soon.
https://youtu.be/6Zyh0GPH9rA

bpiela said:
Is there like a standard formula for liquid solution that you use?  Great videos btw...
Thanks! I'm using Masterblend tomato formula 4-18-38 (2.4 grams/gallon), mixed with Magnesium Sulfate(aka epsom salt 1.2 grams/gallon), and Calcium Nitrate  (2.4 grams/gallon). They need to be mixed in that order. That gives me a ppm or around 700 give or take, EC 1.4 +-. You can get the masterblend and Calcium Nitrate fairly cheap on Amazon or eBay. I bought 5 lbs of each and after making almost 100 gallons worth, have barely put a dent in it. What's crazy is I have 50 lb bags of each in the basement. I am planning on feeding solely with MB next year, so hopefully I'll go through some of that. I got it really cheap at Southern Ag.

Here's a video I made a while back showing how I mix this.

https://youtu.be/PByaaOBRaGY

Another round of aphids to deal with. Fortunately it was just on one plant outside, away from most of the others. The Dr. Bronner's soap just doesn't work for me. I might try it with neem oil in the future. This time, after the castille soap fail, I used pyrethrin with great results.

https://youtu.be/HBY3uUHJGxE

Back