• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

PH help!

Guys,

I just blended up a fermentation of peppers that I am going to cook and bottle....... This time the fermentation (45 days) only came out to 4.5 on the PH meter. Is this ok as long as I add an acid to drop it down further? I havent had a ferment come out less than 4.0 for me before......... I appreciate the help (before I continue with my planned sauce making tonight)

Add a little acid.....citrus juice or vinegar of choice....not the other stuff!!!...

Milder tasting vinegars like rice or white balsamic will have the least flavor impact to your sauce.

Have fun!
SL

Ok, added lime juice and white vinegar (all i had on hand) its cooking down now at a ph of 3.45. So I take it from that post above that its ok if the ferment is above "shelf stable PH" as long as you add acid once its out of the brine ? Thanks SalsaLady!!!

Basically, after you reintroduce new air into it, you need it to be below 4.4 pH. Between the first time you stick it in a jar and the fermentation, you've got CO2 and insufficient Oxygen keeping nasties at bay.

Back