• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH PH meter?

For the short period I used them I laid one on and read the top where the sauce didn't touch. Now I use http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/item/850051/pH/-pH-Pen%3A-Large-Display-with-ATC

Looks pretty beastly feeble.

I checked to see what the IP67 meant and found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ip67%20waterproof&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIP_Code&ei=jB3ITtD4OY7-sQKTjJ1a&usg=AFQjCNGwv1bgRB_O6SWuaR_63AFjFiAf4A&cad=rja It actually means it's dust proof and water proof up to certain depths. The IP67 rating is pretty standard on these types of meters. It's a good thing.

I use a Milwaukee pH600. Fully digital. I picked it up at a "hydro" "pot" shop. Super cheap. Maybe $30. They also have super cheap 5 and 7 gallon pots for 3 to 5 bucks each.....

I gave my tester a run today. Took a couple of attempts to get it to calibrate the 4.0 solution. I then checked my yellow Bhut Jolokia puree/sauce and it came out at 4.64. I used about two tablespoons of it in a small bowl. I then added a couple drops of lemon juice and retested. Came out to 3.94. I think I might like this high tech stuff. I'm a little color blind and trying to read the different shades on the test strips was very frustrating. At least now I'm not quite as worried about killing someone with botulism. ;)

I gave my tester a run today. Took a couple of attempts to get it to calibrate the 4.0 solution. I then checked my yellow Bhut Jolokia puree/sauce and it came out at 4.64. I used about two tablespoons of it in a small bowl. I then added a couple drops of lemon juice and retested. Came out to 3.94. I think I might like this high tech stuff. I'm a little color blind and trying to read the different shades on the test strips was very frustrating. At least now I'm not quite as worried about killing someone with botulism. ;)

Very good point Patrick. It's time I ask Santa for something like this.

Hey Patrick,

Your "Yellow Ghost" pepper puree sounds pretty good!

A ph meter is a Must when preserving your own homemade salsa/sauces.

That was a good move in purchasing one, I know you'll be making some serious super-duper hot sauces.

I make alot of different salsa's this time of year, usually no vinegar used and to lower the ph I use citric and/or absorbic acid.

Most "book canning" recipes call for adding additional lemon juice as a preservative when canning. I find that the add-on reconstituted

lemon juice changes the flav...... :( ......I use the citric acid which by no means imparts the taste in either a tomato or tomatillo

based salsa.

Have fun with your recipes....... :) ...........just one more point, you can always make a sauce and use the least amount of vinegar or juice

necessary. .......by the use of the ph meter.

Greg

So, I would like to chime in and ask a question as well - I, like most, have visions of bringing my sauce to market - similar stories, friends and relatives can't get enough of my hot sauce and heading into the holidays have started to request by the case - before I start going into production (In my kitchen) and making a couple hundred bottles I too need to understand certain aspects of my sauce to ensure I don't knock off half my family. I have been putting off the PH meter for some time but need to make that leap - my hold up is what route to go. On one hand I would like to go cheap and simple - a low end $40 unit just to ensure I'm safe (and those sucking down my hot sauce are as well) like this Low Cost. But than reading about PH variances I start getting uncomfy about a low end unit - pretty important stuff the PH level is - so than I think mid range - like this Mid Range, which does pretty much everything I would like, but than I start thinking about going through production, tracking, testing and think I would really like to be able to track PH levels through the cooking process and since I bottle hot (almost boiling) I think I should get a PH meter that can temperature compensate through the boiling point which bring me to this unit Upper end (for me).

So I am conflicted by what I would like and what do I really need - I am planning on doing this for some time - I am probably a newb compared to most only having produced a couple hundred woozy's - but I am planning on going commercial, first at the craft fair level, than maybe some specialty retail, than who knows. Any suggestions from the elders (not in age but experience) and the newbs who have recently gone through this process I would GREATLY appreciate it!

If you're just starting out I say go with the cheap meter route. If you are worried about accuracy, buy some calibration solution and calibrate your meter every time you make a batch. If you can't get the meter to calibrate to the solution's PH then you know your meter is busted and you'll need a new one.

Hi weaddspice welcome to the forum. The meter I use was under $20.00 on ebay. It temperature compensates and calabrates. You don't have to get an expensive meter unless that's just how you want to roll to be safe. Just make sure that it will compensate for temperature and know what the range is and that it calabrates to the 2 standard solutions. When I test my sauce I pull some out before the last blend and let it set to cool while I blend the rest. Once it's in the temperature range of my meter I test it and adjust the sauce accordingly if needed. JMHO, hope that helps.

Cheers,
RM

Hi weaddspice welcome to the forum. The meter I use was under $20.00 on ebay. It temperature compensates and calabrates. You don't have to get an expensive meter unless that's just how you want to roll to be safe. Just make sure that it will compensate for temperature and know what the range is and that it calabrates to the 2 standard solutions. When I test my sauce I pull some out before the last blend and let it set to cool while I blend the rest. Once it's in the temperature range of my meter I test it and adjust the sauce accordingly if needed. JMHO, hope that helps.

Cheers,
RM

RocketMan - thank you for the warm welcome!

Thank you both for your advice - I was leaning toward expensive as I like to ensure accuarcy as best possible, but based on feedback I went mid level Mid Level, an extra $40-$50 was worth it to me...

I will let everyone know how it works out!

welcome, weaddspice,

I was going to suggest the midrange also.

For the temperature issue, put a really small glass dish (I'm thinking like you get tarter sauce in at a restaurant) in the refrigerator and get it nice and cold. Then when you put a teaspoon of the boiling hot sauce in it, it will draw down the temp quickly. You should probably get/buy a restaurant quality glass dish so it won't shatter from the heat shock.

Have Fun!

salsalady

Back