PH testers

you are always better off with a standard replaceable BNC electrode imho...

get on ebay and look for a cheapo hand held lab bench ph meter... one that can auto calibrate and can take standard thermistors... then get on amazon buy a cheapo jellie enectrode for like 30 bucks.

if you need to test nasty stuff full of sugar and protiens or blood or sewage or what ever else you need to pickup some cleaning solution and a few wash bottles for cleaning the glass membrane.

Hi Brian,

I have a Thermapen but not the pH meter. I love the Thermapen and will never do without it.  For pH meter, I recommend and use HM Digital PH-200.  The downfall is price.  I chose it because the range tops out at 130°F.

Since you are new, there are many threads on pH meters/testers.  Below is a very good thread.  Many THP contributors posted their personal favorites including your host THP and others like JHP and many many more who know a lot about the subject.  Be sure to order the PH 4 and PH 7 calibrating solutions and if the sensor needs to rest in fluid, be sure to order the electrode storing solution.  

Here is a very good thread started by Gargoyle91 on pH meters.  I know the thread is dated in 2014, but it is still relevant as to the latest Oakton, Dr. Meter, Hanna or whatever model replaces what people use, if that makes sense:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/49732-recommend-a-ph-meter/?hl=%2Bph+%2Bmeters#entry1046621

Be aware that many less expensive meters do not work on heated sauces.  Topping out at 130F will work for many, and there are ways to quickly chill sauces while in the cooking process. 

I'm starting the search for a new pH meter that will work on product up to 220F.  Looks like it's gonna be $$$.  As with every business, there comes times when you just have to step up and invest in equipment if that's what the business needs.  For hobby saucers and those just starting out, the lesser expensive models work just fine.

I have a Hanna Checker that I've been using for years, did just fine, I think it was about $100(?). 
I'm off to check out that link chiltepin posted~ 

they make lots of ph electrodes that are good for high temps.

they even make some that are good for high temps AND pressures... some are even autoclavable, so thats like... 250 farenheight at least?

id check the ross/thermoscientific/orion websites and see what they have for those temps then go on ebay and find one used.

Thanks, QQ, I'll check that out.

queequeg152 said:
they make lots of ph electrodes that are good for high temps.

they even make some that are good for high temps AND pressures... some are even autoclavable, so thats like... 250 farenheight at least?

id check the ross/thermoscientific/orion websites and see what they have for those temps then go on ebay and find one used.

Nice...

Back