pH testing

What ph tester is everyone using? Looking to buy a new one, but am concerned that some of those $40 ones on eBay may not work very long.

I finally found litmus test papers with a low enough pH level. I've been searching for days. I finally found them at a wine and beer making supply shop. Duh! And that's thanks to the wifey. She just nonchalantly says "have you tried a wine making supply store, you idiot?" Duh....

their range is 2.8 to 4.6..

You can get narrow range pH papers from scientific supply houses. As for the cheap pH meters, be careful. Standard lab procedures require calibrating every day (if you use them every day) and too much sodium can cause slight errors in the readings.

I bought a Checker ph meter from Hannah a few months ago from Amazon. The cost was $49 at that time. I calibrate the meter each time I make sauces and have only had to make one slight adjustment over the last month.
You can find ph meters that are alot cheaper, but I wouldn't recommend them after reading reviews of various meters.

Spider Strike said:
I'm looking to get a pH meter to make sure my sauces preserve properly too, is this the kind of thing I'm after:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Test-pH-Meter-Tester-2-Pouches-of-Calibration_W0QQitemZ320474711198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4a9dc8049e

?

It would be good to get the nod from you more experienced folk before I go and buy something.

I'm currently using something similar for my sauces.

edit: Thinking of getting one of these soon.

https://www.instrumentchoice.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=102

i have a great recipe.... but you need to get your hands on some fresh curry leaves... not sure how you'd go about sourcing them... let me know if you want the recipe..

I just bought this for $30 U.S. dollars at a hydroponic shop. It works well. You just need a big enough opening in your sauce container because it doesn't have a needle probe. I store my sauce in mason jars before I bottle so I just check it before I bottle up. I also check when before putting in mason jars. All my readings come out at 3.6 to 3.9. I've done tests on other liquids as a test and their reads are completely different, so now I now it's working.
IMG_1562.jpg

This thread is great. Look at the first post. bentalphanerd was about to make his first sauce ever.... PPPPAAAAIIIINNNN!

Back