• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Photobucket and THP

When I started, which was really only like a year ago, Photobucket was somewhat of a 'norm' and I followed suit since I had an existing account over there ...

Since then, the memberships were introduced, and I participated in getting one because I happen to like the site and wanted to contribute ...

I didn't move to using the photo upload features of the site, and continued using photobucket ...

Since though, Photobucket changed their UI/UX and there are now some pain points - namely, that I can't upload any more photos into the common area over there because there's now a cap ...

So, while I never really used folders on Photobucket unless I wanted to make a private set of pictures for someone here, now I'm faced with having to sort my photos from the common area into folders to be able to upload further ...

I tested this on a small scale earlier by moving the recent pics I used in the intro thread to the =[ far east heat ]= I started just the other day ...

It broke the links and so I had to edit the post and re-link each pictures ... no big deal for a post or two, but ...

If I clear a 1K+ pics from my general area on Photobucket to make room to be able to function, I'm going to break links to a zillion Drunken Chef posts ... I don't really want to do that, of course, so I didn't ...

This isn't a criticism of THP whatsoever, it's more of a criticism of Photobucket for sure, but it's a reality nonetheless ... The organization tools on their site are pretty rudimentary too, but it looks like I can sort oldest to newest at least ...

Before I pick some arbitrary point in history and break all of the links to posts that pre-date it, does anyone know something I'm missing?

Going forward I'll put new uploads into folders before linking to posts, but I can't do much about the time before I knew not doing so would cause a problem "at scale" ...

Is there a site-normative for how old a post should be before the photo links are broken? ...

I'm holding off moving a bunch of stuff out of my common area over there so as not to break a ton of posts for the time being ...

This is probably the kind of thing that should be in a FAQ if it's not.

PS - Yes, I realize I can make different accounts over there using other emails and other dirty hacks probably as well ... I was just wondering if there was something I am missing.

I don't know any helps for Photobucket other than another/new account.

Personally, for THP pics, I have a few favorites that are 4+ years old. I know where they are (what post they are on or the member who posted them) and I like to go back and link them into current topics. If they were to be deleted, I'd be really bummed. Especially a couple from Paulky which are priceless.

It's kind of annoying to be reading through a post and images have been deleted.

just my dos centavos~

Yeah, I feel the same way ... I think I'll just make a second account and do things differently going forward ...

This highlights why I don't like using 3rd party anything in general, but in this case if I host them myself on Amazon's S3 or similar, I'd be footing the bill for the bandwidth of each person who views them on top of paying to store them ...

I can't in good conscience move them or there will genuinely be consecutive pages of the DC thread w/ zombie posts from the period where I was almost the only one posting there ...

So. Much. Fun.

You can always go to your old posts and attach the image to the post so it is there forever. ;)

Each one, huh boss?!?! =) ... It's good thing I don't use every single one of the 10x I can put in a post ... oh, wait - I do, don't I =( ...

Here's my take. I was filling up my Photobucket general album so fast years ago that I was basically forced to make new album folders years ago, just so I could find certain pics that related to certain areas of interest. I have yet to run into a cap of any sort, and as far as I know none of my links are broken. Start making new photo albums! And upload directly into them. Forget about your general album, and don't move anything from it.

Yeah, I made a new account and I'm using folders there to avoid it happening again ... it would have produced quite a number of useless posts, particularly in the DC thread ...

Seems to me you could have used your same account and just started using folders, no? You don't have to upload into your general album and then move them to a new photo album. Just upload directly to that new album. Unless you have reached your overall photobucket limit, which is highly doubtful.

Seems to me you could have used your same account and just started using folders, no? You don't have to upload into your general album and then move them to a new photo album. Just upload directly to that new album. Unless you have reached your overall photobucket limit, which is highly doubtful.

I hit it ... I slammed into it, actually ... It's all good though, it's kind of fun to sunset an account ...

From Photobucket:

Be mindful of our album limit. Each album has a maximum capacity of 2,500 images/videos. If you try to upload to an album at capacity, you'll receive a message telling you that you're limit has been reached! Just create a new album or move the photos from your full album to another one!

As Sum said, no need for a new account, just a new album.

Not sure why they spelled your wrong.

I had about 40 pages of assorted photos on PB before I figured out the albums thing. Is there a PB limit on albums? Theoretically a person could have unlimited albums with 2500 images in each album? GrantMichaels' would start as DC2011, DC2012, DC2013.......:lol: ......

Damn GM, you must be uploading EVERYTHING you take. I only use my account for THP if I can help it. And I usually edit down to the images I know I'm going to post. I'm only at 8% usage of available space.

THP reads it the way I do. Just create a new album when uploading, then upload directly into that album. It's sooo simple.

Damn GM, you must be uploading EVERYTHING you take. I only use my account for THP if I can help it. And I usually edit down to the images I know I'm going to post. I'm only at 8% usage of available space.

i might occassionally write a bit of phantom.js code that stores hundreds of screenshots of URL's for my websites on photobucket so that I can have public-facing images to use in the static HTML pages my web server will return if my web application stops responding from a disturbance in the cloud ...

Does this mean we won't get 5 pics of the same white russian anymore?

damm botophucket....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQyv-43334

Like SumBits, I only upload to PB the images I'm going to post. The only thing I use PB for is forum posting (THP and a couple others). When doing DC or TD's I make note of the images I want to use, and only upload those to PB. And No, I haven't ben in the DC lately. Sounds like it might be time for GM to be a little more selective in posting? Less is more? Quality over quantity??????? :lol:

Back