• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"Phytochemicals in Peppers" from Texas A&M Kingsville tons of good info

I stumbled across this kinda randomly. I was watching Attack of the Show, they had this pepper ball launcher flashlight and i was researching to see how hot the powder they use is and I found this:

http://agonline.tamu.edu/phytochemicals/powerpoints/pepper_2nov_230PM.pdf

It seems current (has bhut jolokia listed as hottest pepper). Lots of info about the different chemicals in peppers in a pretty easy to understand format. Interesting stuff about how the content of vitamins minerals differs among peppers of different colors. I'm bout to read the whole thing, had to share first though.

Chili may increase the number of daily bowel movements and lower pain thresholds for people with irritable bowel syndrome.

Hahaha I reckon Neil from TheHippySeedCo could have a special taste testing session with someone with IBS, now that would be a youtube video worth watching

Hahaha I reckon Neil from TheHippySeedCo could have a special taste testing session with someone with IBS, now that would be a youtube video worth watching
lets do it neal! lol. IBS puts a damper on eating hot foods thats for sure.:(

Yes the benefits of peppers are indeed extraordinary, but unfortunately too much of a good thing is bad as there's reported evidence that eating a high diet of peppers causes stomach cancer and that's a huge concern especially when people such as myself eat them daily for the benefits they give..:(

Pepp3rFreak said:
Yes the benefits of peppers are indeed extraordinary, but unfortunately too much of a good thing is bad as there's reported evidence that eating a high diet of peppers causes stomach cancer and that's a huge concern especially when people such as myself eat them daily for the benefits they give..:(

Ya, I about freaked when I read that. I'm hoping that has been debunked by now.

There is some evidence in Thailand, where they eat really hot and where they have a lot more stomach cancer, that a mushroom they use for cooking might be the reason for that, not the peppers.

Armadillo said:
There is some evidence in Thailand, where they eat really hot and where they have a lot more stomach cancer, that a mushroom they use for cooking might be the reason for that, not the peppers.

Good article called Chili, Capsaicin and Cancer: http://bayblab.blogspot.com/2008/10/chili-capsaicin-and-cancer.html - "All this to say, you can eat your chilies without worrying too much about cancer, the harm done is mostly temporary and the jury is still out for the longer term..."

bigt said:
Good article called Chili, Capsaicin and Cancer: http://bayblab.blogspot.com/2008/10/chili-capsaicin-and-cancer.html - "All this to say, you can eat your chilies without worrying too much about cancer, the harm done is mostly temporary and the jury is still out for the longer term..."

What a releif...I was beginning to think that I might come down with stomach cancer. :shocked: That would suck, as the Dr's orders would be to stop eating peppers. :lol:

Armadillo said:
I don't know... I'm in Thailand right now and the food ain't that hot.

Back