• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

PI387838 - Locato Red turned out red... Doh!

I am growing two plants of this very nice and promising variety, they should have been maturing to yellow, but both of them turned red. The two plants look identical, though, so maybe it will be worth saving seeds and growing them again, will give it a try...

DSCN2760b.jpg

DSCN2763b.jpg

DSCN2816b.jpg

DSCN2977b.jpg

Pam said:
It looks like a beautiful plant, whatever it is. What's the flavor like?

Yeah, it certainly is beautiful and early and productive, too... Cannot say anything about flavour yet, but will catch up on this shortly.:shocked: But I guess hot as hell (I am one of those who find pubescens as hot or even hotter than chinense) with regular, great pubescens taste, the different red pubescens varieties I have tried all tasted pretty much the same to me...

I agree, pretty flowers! The purple through the stalk, branches, and leaves is neat too. When I first saw it I was thinking that I've got to grow one of these.

Plebian said:
I agree, pretty flowers! The purple through the stalk, branches, and leaves is neat too. When I first saw it I was thinking that I've got to grow one of these.

Well, I could send you seeds at the end of the season if you send me a PM, but as it figures I cannot promise you that they will come true to the variety, although my 2 plants have been grown isolated this year...

PI387838 - Locato Red turned out red... Doh!
I am growing two plants of this very nice and promising variety, they should have been maturing to yellow, but both of them turned red. The two plants look identical, though, so maybe it will be worth saving seeds and growing them again, will give it a try...

That is not PI 387838.

This album is for only C. pubescens: http://www.fototime.com/inv/785AB98DFC57127 You will have to scroll & album is alphabetical.

My original seeds came directly from the USDA seed bank and grew true to their description. A very unusual pube indeed. I think all 1st year blossoms are 5-lobed. Grape-sized and very hot. The only C. pubescens of over 40 varieties that I have been unable to self so be sure to grow 2 plants if you want pods & pure seed. Extremely prolific producer and will set pods in higher temperatures than any other pube I have grown. Also the fastest of any from seed start to ripe pods.

Sorry to say that I can't share seeds this year. I will isolate a pair of plants this summer and save seeds. All my seeds were donated a couple years ago.

Love2Troll said:
That is not PI 387838.

This album is for only C. pubescens: http://www.fototime.com/inv/785AB98DFC57127 You will have to scroll & album is alphabetical.

My original seeds came directly from the USDA seed bank and grew true to their description. A very unusual pube indeed. I think all 1st year blossoms are 5-lobed. Grape-sized and very hot. The only C. pubescens of over 40 varieties that I have been unable to self so be sure to grow 2 plants if you want pods & pure seed. Extremely prolific producer and will set pods in higher temperatures than any other pube I have grown. Also the fastest of any from seed start to ripe pods.

Sorry to say that I can't share seeds this year. I will isolate a pair of plants this summer and save seeds. All my seeds were donated a couple years ago.

JohnT, you are right - obviously this is not PI 387838, but seeds were taken from this variety, which had indeed small, yellow pods, so it must be a cross as suggested above...

This year I am growing 4 plants from this cross plus 2 plants raised from seeds from my original seed source going by the name PI 387838, it will be interesting to see the results...:cool:

Here are pics of the plant that donated seeds:
http://www.jakobaxelsson.se/images_peppers_2006.html#PI_387838

Back