• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Picked up a couple of more razors

Bought this Union Cutlery Spike yesterday

UnionSpikeRazor.jpg

And this French made Leblond razor today.
Leblond.jpg

Very nice. I got into the old school razors a while back but not straight edges yet. I primarily use an Edwin Jagger with Astra blades, various soaps and badger/boar brushes. Someday I'll might try the straights.

I tried one once. Interesting experience! Sighed in relief when it was over and I didn;t cut myself.

Can't say the result was any different than a Mach 3 shave though.

PexPeppers said:
I just got this in today! 

TuTEh2M.jpg
Nice razor Pex! :cool:
Dovo's are out of my price range so I collect Shumate, Clauss, Union Cutlery, Genco, and a couple of other American made ones. 
The American made razors can't be beat in my opinion.

Logrus9 said:
I don't think I'd ever be able to use one without slicing myself to ribbons.
Just keep the skin stretched taught and move the razor straight ahead and you will be fine.
When you deviate from that razor motion is when you can get bit. ;)

GreenTea said:
I tried one once. Interesting experience! Sighed in relief when it was over and I didn;t cut myself.

Can't say the result was any different than a Mach 3 shave though.
But the price of those Mach 3's continues to escalate month after month and a good straight lasts a lifetime.
Straight razor shaving is a luxury thing and it's not for those in a hurry to shave and get out the door.
You will have little to no irritation with a straight razor over time and I can't say that about cartridge razors.
I bought this one yesterday.
It's a Genco "Army & Navy" model.
GencoArmyNavy.jpg

How much do you pay for these?  I'm curious.

I looked a few up (for fun) and was shocked to see that SOME of these fancy craft metal razors cost upward of $1100.....

GreenTea said:
How much do you pay for these?  I'm curious.

I looked a few up (for fun) and was shocked to see that SOME of these fancy craft metal razors cost upward of $1100.....
I usually pay between $20-40 for ones in good shape and some in excellent shape. You are looking at ones that are rare and or pricey because of the craftsmanship put into them.
The Dovo's and Dorko's and others are very pricey for that reason.

Back