• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pickled Fatalii Sauce

So I pickled a batch of fatalii's last November and decided today was the day to crack into them.  They were so freaking delicious.

YOvglWW.jpg

I set a few aside for sandwich's this week and decided to make a super simple sauce with the rest.  All that was in here was apple cider vinegar and fatalii peppers. 

uu8noSR.jpg

I put the peppers and about 1/3 of the pickle juice in a pot and just brought to a simmer.

neYzT4d.jpg

Then I blendered the snot out it, which I believe is an industry term.  Correct me if I'm wrong there.

leIkU05.jpg

I then ran it through a strainer, because we don't want no seeds or stems in this party.  At this point I took a pH reading and was sitting pretty at 3.3.

nUfjTXr.jpg

Then it went back on the stove to get thinned out with the reserved juices and simmered for about 10 minutes while I sterilized a few jars in boiling water.  It was slightly more bitter than I expected when I first tried the peppers so I added a little honey to balance it out.

YtU0jO3.jpg

Jars were processed and bottles were hot filled.  Gifts to light up a couple friends and the neighbor's day and the rest will end up in my belly.  Best of all I got some very fine tasting pepper vinegar to add to the pantry which I think I actually like better than the sauce.  I see turnip greens in my future and they're looking mighty tasty dressed with that vinegar.

Nice job PF! Just curious here; straight out of vinegar, how was the pepper texture; kinda soft or still a bit crunchy?

Bou said:
Nice job PF! Just curious here; straight out of vinegar, how was the pepper texture; kinda soft or still a bit crunchy?
They were soft. I water bath canned them back in November, so they were basically cooked in jar of vinegar. I don't have a process dailed in for the half gallon mason jar so I boiled the crap out of it. Probably over did it, but I wanted to be extra sure it would be able to last in the pantry for at least a year. I processed two of them and checked the pH of a puree of the other one the next day and everything was fine. I was really more interested in the vinegar and man it is so flavorful.

Reactions: Bou
Back