• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Picture of grow rooms/areas?

Ive been trying to see some ideas on how people are growin peppers indoors using only CFLs. Maybe some fixtures/tube florescents.

Here's one inside an old amoire:

inside.jpg

Same box but a few weeks later. The light on the right is a 2700K, 23-watt CFL.

1220insides.jpg

Here's another area:

bench.jpg

They are 105 watt, 5000K bulbs.

Mike

/ thanks., and thanks for the fixture link

I'll be using around 8 6500k's and 8 2700k's. So I just have to figure out how I'm going to mount them. I also have smaller 1.5 foot fixture I
ll have on the sides for side light.

Anyone know how long the plants should "grown" before "flowered" ?
Like when do I switch the bulbs, after how many weeks?
Thanks!

Really? I know growing tomatoes, you can switch the bulbs to get different spectrums to stimulate flowering/fruit growth..

so in that case. whats the best K rating bulb to use?

As I stated in some other thread (hard to keep track of them!), I'm getting great growth in my tomatoes and good flowering with the cukes using a 5000K bulb. I would prefer 2300K for seedlings based on last year, but it's hard to find 105 watt CFL bulbs at that temp.

Mike

Those 2300 K are flower lights. Would it not be better to use a higher K?

wordwiz said:
As I stated in some other thread (hard to keep track of them!), I'm getting great growth in my tomatoes and good flowering with the cukes using a 5000K bulb. I would prefer 2300K for seedlings based on last year, but it's hard to find 105 watt CFL bulbs at that temp.

Mike

I'm not sure where I'm going to do them at yet..

I cna do them in the basement but it can tend to be moist/humid down there.. would that be alright? or would that be too cold/humid/moist and cause mold etc?

Thanks.

I liked those plans you posted Lee.

But I have CFLs.. can I substitute the fixtures for my CFLs? I would move the plants up towards the lights versus moving the lights away from the plants.. Ya know what I mean?

I also am going to have sime 1.5' fixtures on the sides for side light.

Depends a little on variety but to moist areas are not good for peppers. 50-60 % seems to be good for most peppers. Very important is that daytime temps should be around 77 and nighttime temp 67.

What temps. do you have in the basement?

MrOneEyedBoh said:
I'm not sure where I'm going to do them at yet..

I cna do them in the basement but it can tend to be moist/humid down there.. would that be alright? or would that be too cold/humid/moist and cause mold etc?

Thanks.

Yeah but thought I could have about 6-8 plants in there. Turned out to be just 2. My box was overcrowded and kept the best plants
What fixture do you have?

MrOneEyedBoh said:
I liked those plans you posted Lee.

But I have CFLs.. can I substitute the fixtures for my CFLs? I would move the plants up towards the lights versus moving the lights away from the plants.. Ya know what I mean?

I also am going to have sime 1.5' fixtures on the sides for side light.

I have just the CFL bulbs and standard screw base fixtures like in wordwiz's pictures posted above.

I dont have tube fixtures. but like I said I have around 8 of each bulb ( 6500k and 2700k )

Do you have reflectors?

MrOneEyedBoh said:
I have just the CFL bulbs and standard screw base fixtures like in wordwiz's pictures posted above.

I dont have tube fixtures. but like I said I have around 8 of each bulb ( 6500k and 2700k )

lee said:
Those 2300 K are flower lights. Would it not be better to use a higher K?

Dunno, Lee. They did great for seedlings. Except for cucumbers, none of the plants got leggy at all, had great internodal spaces and were bushy. But I never tried flowering with them or any CFLs, all my plants went into the garden.

I really believe that if a plant gets enough lumens, be it from an LED or a 24K, 40K, 50K or 65K fluro, it will grow and fruit. A certain spectrum may be more helpful but then one needs to consider the costs.

Soil temps, ferts and the age of the plant will have more impact than the temp of the light.

Mike

I believe that the temp of the light has a great impact too. Think of it this way, you can have great soil etc and use an incandescent light, and you may not get anything. but none the less, good info. Thanks

MrOneEyedBoh said:
I believe that the temp of the light has a great impact too. Think of it this way, you can have great soil etc and use an incandescent light, and you may not get anything. but none the less, good info. Thanks

Yeah, but an incandescent isn't likely to provide many lumens. For instance, a 225 bulb 14-watt Red/Blue LED panel is going to provide a near perfect spectrum for plant growth. But it will not have the lumens to cover more than about 1.5 sq. feet eight inches or so from the plant. Unless you own stock in an energy company I would not try it, but if you set up an array of five, 100-watt incandescent lights to cover a small area, I suspect your plants will grow (and the area will be very warm!).

Mike

Back