• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pimental 2020 Glog

This is my first attempt at a glog, so yell at me if I do something wrong...

In an earlier thread, I said I'd start a glog if I was successful at getting any seeds to sprout - and indeed I was!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73008-first-from-the-seed-year-some-questions/

sprouts.jpg

Because this was a mix of seeds, some of which I thought I'd killed, I technically don't know what they are. But since they all came up at the same time, my guess is that they're the fresh seeds of Aji Pineapple I'd added to the mix of probably fried ones.

Some themes for the season:
  • I won't have a lot of money to spend on stuff until summer time. So I'm going to be "cheap", and you probably won't like it, but if I can get at least a few unique plants to grow this season, I'll be satisfied.
  • Everything will be grown in pots.
The peppers I plan on attempting to grow are:
  • Trinidad Scorpion (2019 seeds from a plant from a local nursery)
  • Orange Habanero (seeds from a 2019 Bonnie plant)
  • Cayenne (seeds from a 2019 Bonnie plant)
  • Super Chili (2019 seeds from a plant from a friend)
  • Aji Pineapple (WHP)
  • Scotch Bonnet WHP Red
  • Fogon (WHP)
  • Orange Blob (WHP)
  • Trinidad Perfume (WHP)
  • WHP 028
  • WHP 005
I'm aware of the probable problems with attempting to grow from Bonnie and hybrid plants. I do want to try anyways. But I'm open to any suggestions.

I'll probably try to get some more seeds started here soon.

Thanks, and good luck in your own pepper-grows.

-Pimental

One last, late update.

The season didn't go so well last year - I don't think I had an early enough start for the seeds, didn't use good dirt early on, and didn't do the transition outdoors correctly.

Most of the plants stayed runt-like and didn't grow any fruit after I transferred them outdoors (a lot of them lost a lot of leaves during the phasing outdoors). A few stayed runt-like but did put off pods (the progeny of a previous year's super chili did pretty well, all things considered). Unfortunately the Super Chili x TMS turned out to just be a Super Chili, although it did put off fruit. My Cayenne (which is a thin pod, pot-loving type) did very well indeed, and the Aji Pineapple did even better. My Orange Blob put off one pod but a bunny got to it first. My Red Scotch Bonnet would have finished it's one pod, but I accidentally broke the plant's trunk and it died.

I took note of the fact that only the non-chinense plants did really well, and this year purchased some seeds that were more of that genre (besides, I'm more interested in that type anyways). I'm sure I could do better, but for now this is going to be good enough - I moved to an apartment which will allow me to have a few pots outside my window, so I'll want some certain, hearty plants. I may still buy a Bonnie Orange Hab or a local nursery's super-hot as a plant. But right now the four seed types I'm starting are all non-chinense or only a cross with a chinense.

What's germinating now, for this year, is a portuguese cayenne-type pepper, a BB7 x Tabasco, a Cayenne x Aji Pineapple F1 that I made last year, and a Dwarf Chiltepin. I may start a new blog if all continues well.

Best,
Pimental

Back