• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Piney Hab review

Awesome review man! Yeah, I REALLY liked this sauce. I would recommend this sauce to ANYONE. Has a nice aftertaste, huh?

Glad you enjoyed. Taking some to work tonight for on subs.

Its great stuff, I already went through 2 bottles of the regular and extreme, half of habitually orange. I am placing an order for 15 more 5oz bottles when justaguy gets back with me :P.

Regarding the heat on the original Piney Hab, I get almost no burn using 1/4 of the bottle at a time on chips. The extreme however gives me a small quick burn with 1/8 of the bottle on chips. Of course the heat may vary by person, but even my sensitive wife can down the Piney Hab with no problems. I think people should know this so the "Habanero" doesn't scare them off from a great sauce.

Thanks Hotpooper, yeah I really enjoyed this sauce I would also recommend it to anyone

Agreed 96red it is any easy sauce to eat, but for a hab based sauce it has more of a kick than I expected, pleasantly surprised!

Keep up the good work Brian!

Chad

I think it is a toss up between the Piney Hab and the PH-X as far as my favorite sauce by Justaguy... the extreme has a good heat to it.. but it is not so bad I can't take it... definitely gives a nice burn

The piney hab is perhaps a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me... as far as heat goes

I might add a tiny bit of salt to it... but it is pretty great as it is.

Its great stuff, I already went through 2 bottles of the regular and extreme, half of habitually orange. I am placing an order for 15 more 5oz bottles when justaguy gets back with me :P.

Regarding the heat on the original Piney Hab, I get almost no burn using 1/4 of the bottle at a time on chips. The extreme however gives me a small quick burn with 1/8 of the bottle on chips. Of course the heat may vary by person, but even my sensitive wife can down the Piney Hab with no problems. I think people should know this so the "Habanero" doesn't scare them off from a great sauce.

Justaguy is sending out a few of his hot sauces my way as well.

Looking forward to trying out some of his hot sauce creations.

dvg

Just tried his Piney Hab Extreme today on chicken. Incredibly delicious, a perfect blend of sweet & hot. I'd rank it as one of the hotter non-extract sauces I've tried & it leaves a nice lingering burn. It's hot enough that your non-chilihead friends will stay away from it, but not too hot so you can still pour it all over. Wonderful stuff!

Mmmmm, just cracked open a bottle of the Piney Hab and poured myself a tablespoon of the stuff.

It has a nice sweet flavor and considerably more heat than the Tongue wrapper.

The burn spread out across the sides and back of my tongue and even got a bit of the roof of my mouth.

The burn may have been spread out more because Brian uses three peppers in this sauce.

The ingredients list reads: Pineapple, Peppers (Habanero, Naga Morich, Fatalii) Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Onion, Lime Juice, Garlic)

My tongue still has a lingering burn as I'm typing this out.

And my nose is starting to run, so this one definitely hit the spot.

dvg

Yeah that is the Piney Hab Extreme. That is where each person's tastebuds come in and where the burn is. I personally think the Tongue Wrapper is hotter, just on a different part of the tongue. Working on a Strawberry/Naga Morich and the Morich's make you drool like crazy. Well they make me and everyone that has tried a sauce I made with them had increased salivation. The Piney Hab Extreme, which is the one you have DVG, has the Naga Morich in it. Did you notice an increase in saliva versus the other sauces?

To be fair Brian, I have only tried the Tongue Wrapper, and today the Piney Hab for the first time.

And I have only taken a teaspoon of the Tongue Wrapper and not a tablespoon of it as I did with the Piney Hab.

But I must say that I enjoyed both sauces very much.

Neither sauce was salty or vinegary, and that is what i am looking for in a hot sauce.

dvg

yeah I stay away from salt. I feel saly is something each person adds to whatever as they feel needed so why add it for them?

Hmmm I thought the tongue wrapper was supposed to be considerably hotter than the piney hab extreme.. never tried tongue wrapper but the PH-EXTREME is definitely a nice jump up from the non extreme version..

so... now that you have gone through much of the fruit isle... I wonder if a thai inspired concoction would work... you know something that may make use of any of the following ingredients... lemongrass, basil, cillantro or coriander seeds... tamarind or lime, ginger, garlic, fish or oyster sauce, peanut or coconut, palm or cane sugar... .... or whatever combo the crowd would go for

my guess is (unless going for nutty) is that it would be more liquid than solid but it could come out pretty cool if the right peppers were chosen...

I have no idea how one would start on something like that though... but I bet it would be killer on rice and veggie dishes

Yeah that is the Piney Hab Extreme. That is where each person's tastebuds come in and where the burn is. I personally think the Tongue Wrapper is hotter, just on a different part of the tongue. Working on a Strawberry/Naga Morich and the Morich's make you drool like crazy. Well they make me and everyone that has tried a sauce I made with them had increased salivation. The Piney Hab Extreme, which is the one you have DVG, has the Naga Morich in it. Did you notice an increase in saliva versus the other sauces?

Zok keep me updated on the temps there as they rise so I can send the package for you.

Will have to research into something thai. Need to eat some, been years, so I can get a flavor profile in mind.

For the last week and a half it has been at or above freezing... next couple days are dropping again but going up again my early next week...unless a freak storm comes in again it looks ok for a while

Thai peppers are different though... I'm not sure if a hab base would work for it... thai is basically a nice combo of sweet, salty, sour and savory all wrapped up in one... it tends to be a bit tangier but the herbs and other flavors make it work where the more vinegary hot sauces don't work as well.. they never add salt but rather get it from other things like the fish sauce... stinky as hell that stuff... and nasty on its own but when put with other things it is great... (kind of like the anchovy in a home made cesar salad dressing... when mixed no one knows it is there but it is lost without it)

it may be a bit of a challenge to get that into a single sauce though... but that is the difference between inspiration and duplication I guess..

I have a bit of a thai craving right now which had me thinking about it.. so I thought I might mention it... too bad I have nothing to prepare such a dish right now... the only veggie in my fridge is habaneros... and while I have fish sauce I have nothing else...I do think I have some old freezerburned ground beef in the back of my freezer though... wonder what I could make with that and some dried kitchen herbs?

ugg... I think I am getting take-away tonight

Zok keep me updated on the temps there as they rise so I can send the package for you.

Will have to research into something thai. Need to eat some, been years, so I can get a flavor profile in mind.

Hmmm perhaps we should start another thread on this (eg Thai Inspired Hot Sauce brainstorming) rather than filling up the Piney Hab review thread with non piney hab content :lol:

Well now.. looks like there is... check here..
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20125-thai-brainstorming/

I love Thai! My only problem is that "Thai hot" at the local restaurants isn't that hot anymore. And none of them will believe me when I try to ask for "double Thai hot". Then I'll add something like Melinda's Naga to leftovers to bring up the heat, but it changes the Thai flavor somewhat.

So if you can make a Thai tasting hot sauce, I would be in heaven. :)

Back