• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Pinguicula esseriana 'Giant'

Pinguicula esseriana 'Giant' has been in my collection since June of 2008.

IMG_9686-7.jpg

It is most likely the largest of the P. esseriana species varieties, with these rosettes shown above measuring just over an inch in diameter.

IMG_9698-8.jpg

These mexi-pings are colorful and possess a uniformly compact growth structure, making them one of the prettier Mexican butterwort species available commercially.

These plants are commonly known as butterworts, because of the greasy feel of their leaves to the touch.

The tiny glistening specks on the carnivorous leaves are sticky glands that trap small prey such as fungus gnats or just hatched mantids, just prior to acids and enzymes being released to help digest the capture, making a sort of nutrient rich soup that is then reabsorbed by the leaves.

dvg

Man Doug that is one cool looking plant. I need to plant those all around my garden to fend off those nasty insects. Do you think that would work or possibly be the opposite effect?

Thanks Jamie!

These plants grow in Mexico and do well as house plants, but might not do exactly what you might expect of them outdoors.

They would probably be susceptible to aphids and slugs.

The aphids attack them on the undersides of their leaves where they are non-sticky.

Where these plants do come in handy is indoors, placed around house plants.

Orchid growers use these plants to control fungus gnat populations.

dvg

Same plants, but less than a month later, these two pings have responded well to watering and a couple of tropical springtail feedings, by showing visibly more growth.

IMG_0037-1PesserianaGiant.jpg

dvg

Back