• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pink Tiger

How's yours doing? I'm growing over 200 varieties this year, all podding well, but the one pod I want to see the most is keeping me waiting! If it normal to have to wait so long for a Pink Tiger pod!? last time I looked there weren't even any flowers and the plants are waist high! 

Mine took longer than every other plant I'm growing. Even longer than the Reaper which takes forever. Out of 460 plants the two Pink Tiger were dead last. Finally setting and ripening pods. Won't grow it again. The foliage looks great but the pods don't taste very good and 98% of the pictures I've seen of other peoples' pods don't have stripes. If it at least had good flavor I could maybe see growing it again. 

My surviving(Golf ball sized hail) plant has a fair number of pods. Mind you I started it in December.

Scorched said:
Mine took longer than every other plant I'm growing. Even longer than the Reaper which takes forever. Out of 460 plants the two Pink Tiger were dead last. Finally setting and ripening pods. Won't grow it again. The foliage looks great but the pods don't taste very good and 98% of the pictures I've seen of other peoples' pods don't have stripes. If it at least had good flavor I could maybe see growing it again. 

I'm having issues with this variety also. I'm growing over a hundred varieties, I have 2 Pink Tigers(one in a pot, one in the ground) and have yet to see a pod form on either one of them. Just for comparison I have a Bih Jolokia right next to a Pink Tiger (the one in the ground) that's probably produced 150+ pods, so I know the ground is nice & fertile. With the humidity here in Texas, not sure if that's contributing. I've had flowers but nothing set. Hoping once the weather cools down (usually mid Sept around here) i'll see a few set. Not holding my breath.

Biscombe said:
How's yours doing? I'm growing over 200 varieties this year, all podding well, but the one pod I want to see the most is keeping me waiting! If it normal to have to wait so long for a Pink Tiger pod!? last time I looked there weren't even any flowers and the plants are waist high! 
Mine started flowering later than Brown Morugas, so about 2 and a half months after potting outside in early May. The plant also grew more slowly than my other varieties, including bhuts, nagas, and scorps.

I probably have 20 or so pods, just waiting for them to ripen; but yes, the plant takes its time in every way imaginable.

Scorched said:
Same here still waiting for mine to set pods. Have to agree about the foliage. Beautiful but not to happy to hear about the taste.

Another one to avoid is the yaki brown. Beautiful plant but just tried them and man way too floral. Good heat but tasted like I ate a rose or something. Yaki brown is not for me.

TexasHotPeppers said:

I'm having issues with this variety also. I'm growing over a hundred varieties, I have 2 Pink Tigers(one in a pot, one in the ground) and have yet to see a pod form on either one of them. Just for comparison I have a Bih Jolokia right next to a Pink Tiger (the one in the ground) that's probably produced 150+ pods, so I know the ground is nice & fertile. With the humidity here in Texas, not sure if that's contributing. I've had flowers but nothing set. Hoping once the weather cools down (usually mid Sept around here) i'll see a few set. Not holding my breath.
last year mine didn't set until late Sept. Never got stripes, just purple creamish. Didn't taste awful though!

Some Pink Tiger I just pulled a couple days ago. Wouldn't really call them striped.

Pink Tiger 9.3.15 002.JPG

Pink Tiger 9.3.15 005.JPG

I have 2 pink tiger plants and not a single pod from either of them yet. I don't even think that they have flowers yet. All of my other pepper plants have pods on them. I am thinking that it will be wishful thinking for me to see anything from these plants this year since frost will be hitting soon.

Great to hear your Pink Tiger experiences, I will continue to be as patient as I can! Trident, great to see your pic with isolation tent, trying like mad here to bag as many unopened flowers as I can before autumn sets in.  

Haven't posted in a while but thought I would share some of the pink tigers i got this year. None of them had the desired striping but looked very similar to others with the yellow tops and purplish bottoms or freckles. I had one plant that seemed to be more peach bhut-ish.  I tried to cross it with a fish pepper I had going to get defined striping so we will see how that went in time. They seem to really develop the purple if they are in direct sun, many of the pods that were shaded from leaves or other plants turned out kind of freckled with purple instead or only dark on the half that the sun hit.

21965525353_2a0c05867e_z.jpg

21965511153_5378247707_c.jpg

21963954614_509a57f4ff_c.jpg

Back