• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant Out 3/5

caroltlw, very nice transplants. Have you planted that close before? I do mine at 24" apart and 36" between rows and by middle of summer you can barely get around. I too like what you've done with the logs.

Dale

I guess I'm counting on not having to get around (between) them. I did bells in the ground 2 years ago and I had them 12" apart in the row (too close) and the rows maybe 2 ft apart. It was a challenge to walk between them. Lots of peppers though.

Great looking plants and garden!No Root Nematoads up there?Might just be my sandy soil.I've gotta go all cotainers.

You know, root knot nematodes are supposed to be bad in South Carolina, but that's one of the few things I've never seen.

Spacing

Carol,

Great looking plants they sure got a good start.
I planted mine 18+ last year because of space and found that once peppers had set they where shaded by the other plants and did not get sunburned like some of the ones on the outside rows.

Awesome looking garden, I would love to be able to do something like that, but unfortunately there are certain limitations when renting property! nice work, all the best!

Looks like you are going to have a nice "hedge" in about 4 months Carol...hope they produce well for you...

Thanks everyone!

AlabamaJack said:
Looks like you are going to have a nice "hedge" in about 4 months Carol...hope they produce well for you...

I'm "hedging" my bets by doing ground and containers. Hopefully I will learn something useful even if some fail.

peppermo said:
...found that once peppers had set they where shaded by the other plants and did not get sunburned like some of the ones on the outside rows.

I like the way you think. I can shade the right side of the garden in the morning by parking next to it, the left side will get some afternoon shade once the sun moves north a bit and the trees get their leaves back. I may have to rig some shade cloth for high noon if it needs it then.

scoville said:
No Root Nematoads up there? Might just be my sandy soil.I've gotta go all cotainers.

I guess I'll find out. There's pretty much every critter known to mankind crawling around in these woods. Hope nematodes aren't one of them.

caroltlw said:
I'm "hedging" my bets by doing ground and containers. Hopefully I will learn something useful even if some fail.

will be very interesting to see the comparison between container and in ground...

AlabamaJack said:
will be very interesting to see the comparison between container and in ground...

Definitely. I'm trying to keep roughly the same dirt mixture in both and I'm favoring the pick of the litter for my containers. That way if the river decides to get ugly this year I can pack them up and leave in a hurry.

how far off the river are you and how high are you above river water level?

AlabamaJack said:
how far off the river are you and how high are you above river water level?

I live in a flood zone. It floods maybe once or twice every ten years. If I had a power pole it would have to be about 12 ft up, with steps for the meter reader, to meet code at my elevation. It's hop skip and a jump to the river.

yup...great bottom land...

I essentially lived for a month each winter on the Alabama River just below Monroeville...had a 50 foot bluff straight down to the river on a point in a big bend...river was deep enough for barge traffic and probably 300 yards wide...big river...it has been over the banks a couple of times...matter of fact, thats the reason we got the lease on 60 acres there...the resident that used to live in the old log cabin got flooded out and never came back...so the owners leased it to us...

I guess I could have just said, been there done that huh....

AlabamaJack said:
yup...great bottom land...

I guess I could have just said, been there done that huh....

Not at all. Stories are always good. Plus "been there done that," without and explanation always sounds kind of jerky (For lack of a better word). It always feels like the person is saying "big deal," sarcastically. You on the other hand showed empathy.

Flood land is cheap. Dirt cheap. You should see all the abandoned shacks here from the 70's when everyone got wiped out. But it's OK if your "house" has wheels and you don't go crying to FEMA every time the river rises.

Guess what I found this morning?

APHIDS!!!

Sprayed them down with dish soap solution and boy is that more difficult with ground plants than containers.
So, if I get some ladybugs will they stick around my garden or fly off somewhere if I don't feed them good enough? What if it freezes again? WIll they all die off?

dang Carol...I am dreading the "A" word...not even gonna say it...

I remember reading on the internet and some talk about it here too...if/when you get lady bugs...while they are still in the little mesh bag they come in, mix up some regular coke with water...about 20 percent solution and spray the lady bugs with it...that will "glue" their wings to their bodies and they will hang around long enough to lay eggs, which is really what you want...the larval stage are the real aphid killers...they are voracious feeders...

cold...hmmmm...probably will try and come in your trailer looking for warmth...

good luck with them...

AlabamaJack said:
...if/when you get lady bugs...while they are still in the little mesh bag they come in, mix up some regular coke with water...about 20 percent solution and spray the lady bugs with it...

For real? Or is that just something you tell all the newbies?

AlabamaJack said:
...the larval stage are the real aphid killers...they are voracious feeders...

Ah. I did not know that.
How do I recognize the good larvae from the bad ones? And will my lizards eat the ladybugs?

[edit] Ok, OK, Google is my friend

Back