• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant out question

Thinking ahead to how I want to plant out the "crop" this year, I began to wonder if I should be concerned on placement (besides height, spacing issues). I want to save seeds this year for next year's grow. Is cross pollination a concern? An example: If Scotch Bonnet TFM plants were in realitive close proximity to say Caribbean Reds, could they cross so that the the seeds from one or both something different (hybrid) the following year.

If crossing is potentially an issue, what close proximity plantings should be avoided. I've been net searching on this topic unsuccessfully so far. The main pepper plot is appx. 20' x 20'. However, I do have a couple of other garden plots about the yard.

Thanks in advance for assistance. On to Indy!!!

I think the isolation distance is something like 1/4 mile. You can use tulle fabric like the ones used to make party favor bags to cover the flowers before they open. A small one to cover a flower set can make a bigger bag to cover the whole plant. You can find it in Walmart. Best to do that early in spring though before it gets too hot. The bags can raise the temp inside and will cause increased fower drop. Some people also put a dab of glue on the flower bud, but I have never done that before.

Hope that helps.
jacob

jjs7741 said:
I think the isolation distance is something like 1/4 mile.

I've always read that it is higher than that, more like a mile. Essentially, I think it is based on the distance a bee can fly. However, maybe you've got lazy bees in South Carolina! :)

NoVa Hothead said:
However, maybe you've got lazy bees in South Carolina! :)

LOL! Now thats funny! :P Having lived in the south for a spell, I can say that sometimes things do move a bit more leisurely down there but they sure are some friendly people for the most part. ;)

cross pollination is always a risk, but odds are still fairly slim that it will cross, even when taking no precautions. To eliminate as much risk as possible you could do something like what Jacob mentioned. Some kind of covering (tea-bag/netting). Nobody likes an unpleasant surprise from crossed seeds.

Use the tea bag method or cover with tulle. One other option is to grow them in containers and bring them one at a time indoors to allow them to set pods. Then when the pods set mark them so you know which ones were the isolated ones.

Back