• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Problem

Does this look familiar to anyone? Plants were yellowish to pale green and now showing signs of leaf problems. Maybe a deficiency?

pics575.jpg

Purple leaves could be a sign of Phosphorus deficiency, or some micro nutrient.

Give them some plant food with Micro Nurtirents.

same here

my plants are doing the same thing, i have white fly's around now all of my plants leaves are not doing well? i'm confused also on what to do i tried a spray bottle with a few drops of soap it cut down on the fly's a bit but no improvement on the plants them selves.
thepodpiper said:
Does this look familiar to anyone? Plants were yellowish to pale green and now showing signs of leaf problems. Maybe a deficiency?

pics575.jpg

peppermanbaha said:
tpp wow nice to see you back here. Dunno what it is. Could be a defiency or could be something else.

Thanks pepperman, I do not get on the forums much during the growing season.

lee said:
Is that a overwinter plant or a new one..?

I do not overwinter any plants.

It almost looks like Magnesium deficiency to me Dale...

thepodpiper said:
Does this look familiar to anyone? Plants were yellowish to pale green and now showing signs of leaf problems.

You say they WERE yellowish/pale green. Did you add some N to them and now they have greener leaves with the crispy edges?? Or did both of these things happen at the same time?

Thanks for the input everyone. I beleive that my problem has started from the roots because at transplant the roots of some did not look very healthy, (brownish instead of white and kinda dry looking) and i figured that putting them in the ground and giving them some ferts would straighten them out. Evidently i was mistaken.

caroltlw said:
You say they WERE yellowish/pale green. Did you add some N to them and now they have greener leaves with the crispy edges?? Or did both of these things happen at the same time?

The Nitrogen did not green them up, they stayed about the same shade of yellowish green and then they started to get the burnt edges. This condition is leading me to beleive that they are not taking up the nutes and that a fungus has set in.

Aji Chombo said:
Did you keep the plants indoors or have they always been outside?

All of my plants are started indoors.

Does someone have a remedy for getting the roots healthy or is this a wait and see what happens kinda thing? I have already sprayed them with some disease control stuff to try and combat the fungus but need to give them something to inhibit root growth.

Not much help but I think you are correct to look at the roots and blame them. Hope this is isolated to only a few plants. I bet you can dig one up and the root ball is still the same from when you planted in the ground. I am not a fan of floroscent lighting other than for germination for this reason. Plants just sit and stop growing and this will contribute to root problems down the road. I hate to say this dale.:(

Like you Dale, I'm a big fan of flourescent lighting, and I seriously don't think that is your problem. Its gotta be a root thing

Potawie I've read where you use a mix of natural and floroscent lighting. Dale and I have spoke about him getting HID light. It is hard to deny the healthy root growth under a halide light or natural light. Chili plants demand a high intensity light indoors for optimum root development. The result is underdeveloped roots and root rot from watering a plant that's barely growing. I am only trying to help a friend.:think:

POTAWIE said:
You may want to try treating your roots with some H2O2 if there is a root rotting problem

Potawie beat me to it...Dale, when I read the roots were brown in color, that is a definite sign of root rot...if you can slip the outer sheath of the roots one way or another, then it is definitely root rot...I know because I lost about 75 plants to it last year....Hydrogen Peroxide used at the rate of 1 Tbsp per gallon will elimate the root rot if your plants are not too far gone...root rot is caused by an organism (mould/fungus/bacteria, I can't remember which) that actually clogs up the plants plumbing...usually the smaller branches go first since the plumbing system in them are not as developed as the main stems or larger branches

Back